"An atheistic life isn't worth living"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-06-2017, 12:03 PM
RE: "An atheistic life isn't worth living"
(12-06-2017 11:37 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I actually feel bad for them. They're living in a self-imposed prison and don't even realize it.

I pity them for indoctrination robbed them of life of wonder, instead consigning them to lifetime of servitude to bloodthirsty, tribal deity.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Szuchow's post
12-06-2017, 12:15 PM
What's it to them? Am I asking them to lead an atheistic life (whatever the fuck that means, other than being free from the shackles of self-loathing that religion slaps on you the moment your parents decide to brainwash you)? Stop worrying about my life and pay more attention to your waste of precious time on a crappy bronze-age mythology in the vague hope that you'll live forever. You won't. Tell me again what's worth living for and what isn't.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Vera's post
12-06-2017, 12:16 PM
(12-06-2017 11:21 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Whenever someone claims this, I always ask why they're trying to convince atheists that their life isn't worth living. Seems like a pretty shitty thing to do.

The religious have a long history of shitting all over the world.
It's a sales mantra to generate a need for "salvation", a pretense that religion actually serves a purpose.
[+] 2 users Like M. Linoge's post
12-06-2017, 12:18 PM
(12-06-2017 11:21 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Whenever someone claims this, I always ask why they're trying to convince atheists that their life isn't worth living. Seems like a pretty shitty thing to do.

Yep, it is a condescending form of narcissism, "Since you don't buy my old book of myth, you are worth less".

It is shitty logic yes, but I would not say every single person who says stupid crap like that is always being hateful, I think they simply don't understand how bad the logic is.

But yea, there are many who do say it out of spite and it bothers them that you have not drank their Kool Aid.

I usually respond with what my friend Bob from Australia said as how to respond years and years ago.

"You go to a movie knowing it ends, but yo still go. You go to a music concert knowing it has a last song, but you still go. You go to a sporting event knowing one team will win, and one will lose, and that ends too, but you still go. You buy a great book knowing it has a last page, but you still read it. You get a pet cat or pet dog, it lives for a while, but dies long before you do, you still enjoy it, and maybe even after that you get another pet".

The ride ending does not make the atheist fatalistic or pessimistic, it just means the ride ends.

We have the same ups and downs in life, we grow old too, but that does not mean we cannot value the finite time we have while we are alive.

I actually find this kind of argument from at theist quite insulting logically speaking now that my own mother is gone. It's been 3 months and I have not killed myself as a result of her death. I was extremely lucky to have her in my life and I watched her slowly decline in her last days and die, and that was EXTREMELY PAINFUL. But what kept me going is what she would want for me now, and even in her final days she showed extreme bravery even trying to keep me upbeat. THAT is what keeps me going, not false promises of fictional places, or threats of punishment.

So maybe when you run into this, ask them why they don't mourn the death of a tree or fear the end of a movie.

I only fear prolonged pain and would hate the thought of those I survive missing me and feeling pain. But since death will always eventually happen, the only thing one can do is learn to enjoy the finite life you do have.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
[+] 5 users Like Brian37's post
12-06-2017, 01:06 PM

They desperately want and need for this to be the case. It makes them feel better to believe this and helps them to justify their own belief. The take away for me is that their life would not be worth living if they didn't believe in invisible magic beings. I find that massively pathetic.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
12-06-2017, 01:33 PM
As some have pointed out, likely most believers don't know how shitty they're being, just as they don't stop to think about how the homeless and/or survivors of the dead might feel after they exult how god "spared" them from some tornado or terror attack or car wreck or whatever.

What I put it down to, mostly, is that when you are told from the cradle that you and every one of your efforts are less than nothing without god's approval and guidance, not believing is unthinkable. Also, you tend to genuinely believe that it leads to, or at least makes you vulnerable to, a downward spiral of despair and nihilism and arrogance and hatred and basically all things rotten and no good. Also if you're of certain denominations, there's the looming fear of god's judgment, of god "giving you up to your vain imaginings" to become depraved and unsalvageable.

Sure, it's dickish to assume such things of total strangers, but when you have a dickish god and a dickish theology, what do you expect.
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post
12-06-2017, 01:40 PM

So far nobody has ever told me that, but I'd like to think I'd answer something like this:

"I'm not an atheist because in don't want to believe in god, it's just that with all the thousands of gods to choose from and no evidence to make any clear choice between them, only an idiot would be comfortable choosing... Umm... just out of curiosity, what religion did you choose?"

"Oh you didn't choose it, you were born into it eh? So you're trusting your parents choice then?"

"...wait what ! You're telling me that they didn't choose either! Well then who in the hell did?"

"Oh...I see just gonna bet your soul on black & spin the wheel and take your chances eh?" "Well good luck with that!" Laughat

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 2 users Like unsapien's post
12-06-2017, 01:52 PM
(12-06-2017 12:03 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(12-06-2017 11:37 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I actually feel bad for them. They're living in a self-imposed prison and don't even realize it.

I pity them for indoctrination robbed them of life of wonder, instead consigning them to lifetime of servitude to bloodthirsty, tribal deity.

total lack of understanding humans. Some people need emotional solutions and some don't. Again, I don't understand why emotional people don't let us that use logic alone.

I don't care what personal meaning they assign, I get false hope, don't make laws on their personal needs and broken brains.
[+] 1 user Likes AB517's post
12-06-2017, 01:52 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2017 01:56 PM by Vera.)
Unsapien, that was basically one of the major reasons I lost the faith (hehe) (well, other than something in my mind finally unsnapping back into place. 'Cause that's how I caught the vile thing in the first place) - I just couldn't convince myself that I had just happened to be born in the right place where they have the right god. And even if I had - how unfair is that on the rest of the people who weren't so lucky. And what kind of a god-monster would be this random and unfair as to condemn people to eternal torment due to a geographical coincidence they had no control over?

I'll tell you what kind - the god-monster of the Abrahamic monotheistic vileness, that's who Dodgy

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
12-06-2017, 02:24 PM
As I told someone, an atheist realizes we have one shot, and then it's gone.

No do-over, no mulligans, no purgatory, no one more try, nothing.

You get one and you're done.