"An atheistic life isn't worth living"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-06-2017, 06:04 PM
RE: "An atheistic life isn't worth living"
The life that isn't worth living is the one spent thinking it's a test from some bored voyeur, rather than actually a life.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
12-06-2017, 08:41 PM
If life is a test, then why are the tests seemingly easier to take in more developed countries and easier to succeed the more wealth you have ?

I don't want the Ethiopian starving to death test.
I'd rather have the born into a wealthy family test.
I also don't want the gullible as fuck test.
I would fail that instantly.

I prefer the "I'll judge any god for not giving a damn" test and fail them at every moment when they could have helped, but chose not to.

We humans are the creators of gods.
If anything is being tested, surely it must be my patience.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Rahn127's post
12-06-2017, 09:14 PM
(12-06-2017 04:54 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(12-06-2017 04:49 PM)Rachel Wrote:  I don't do well in the heat.

They you *definitely* will not like it in Hell, Rachel. I think you need to repent ASAP [Image: inkvisitor.gif]

At least the dry heat won't make my hair frizz!
[+] 1 user Likes Rachel's post
12-06-2017, 09:18 PM
(12-06-2017 05:47 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(12-06-2017 03:35 PM)Rachel Wrote:  A co-worker was trying to recruit me for her church. When she found out I am an atheist, she went ballistic and spit in my face then began sending me threatening emails. Of course she didn't actually threaten me, she just implied that Jesus would smite me. I printed out all her emails until she sent me a jpg of a desert scene with the caption "Enjoy hell!" I replied to her, "Thanks! I hear it's a dry heat!" I bundled all those emails and walked down to Human Resources.

Anyone ever spits in my face and they'll be able to go onto the experience project and tell all about what it feels like to swallow their front teeth. I don't turn the other cheek.

I can appreciate that, but I don't believe in violence to solve a problem. On my introduction post I told about being assaulted by a wild-eyed raving lunatic who was terribly offended by my "ATHEIST" bumper sticker. It wasn't a pleasant experience. Sometimes we have to take the high road. As Michelle Obama once said in a different context, "When they go low, we go high."
[+] 2 users Like Rachel's post
12-06-2017, 09:58 PM
(12-06-2017 11:21 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Whenever someone claims this, I always ask why they're trying to convince atheists that their life isn't worth living. Seems like a pretty shitty thing to do.

When all you've got is a made-up medicine for made-up problems, you have to sell the sickness before you sell the cure.
[+] 4 users Like Reltzik's post
13-06-2017, 02:37 AM
(12-06-2017 11:21 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Whenever someone claims this, I always ask why they're trying to convince atheists that their life isn't worth living. Seems like a pretty shitty thing to do.

I honestly don't even understand their thinking.

I'd rather be free and mentally open to new ideas and explore all of nature/science/all the world has to offer, that be forced to believe in something so much that I believe this life is effectively the waiting room for the next one, thus waste it just praying or something.

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
13-06-2017, 04:54 AM
(12-06-2017 06:04 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  The life that isn't worth living is the one spent thinking it's a test from some bored voyeur, rather than actually a life.

My wording was too harsh in this post. I meant to say, as Oaktree has done, that it's a waste of a life.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
13-06-2017, 05:20 AM
(13-06-2017 04:54 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  
(12-06-2017 06:04 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  The life that isn't worth living is the one spent thinking it's a test from some bored voyeur, rather than actually a life.

My wording was too harsh in this post. I meant to say, as Oaktree has done, that it's a waste of a life.

My main thought is always this: Theists think this life is just the "pre-afterlife" thus spend it building up their "God Clubcard Points" for when they pop their clogs.

Atheists on the others hand know full well we're here for like 70-90 years ish (and that's not counting if you randomly die or have an accident) so we're not to waste our lives doing garbage like that. Instead we savour the moments we have, and try to get out and see the world, engage in activities and just learn as much as we can.

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
[+] 3 users Like OakTree500's post
13-06-2017, 05:39 AM
That's exactly why it baffles me when people say "life without God is meaningless". It has all the meaning to (most) atheists. It's 100% of our life, of our meaning. For those treading water for a supposedly infinite afterlife, this life is 0%.

Which one gives this life more meaning? I think that's pretty clear.

[+] 4 users Like Robvalue's post
13-06-2017, 06:25 AM
One also might ask what an "atheistic" life even is, or if it's even possible. It's like saying "a non-stamp-collectingistic" life is not worth living.

Atheism is not an ideology, it's a side effect of a different ideology, which is that one does not afford belief to the unsubstantiated. It's a side effect of empiricism / rationalism. Even if it were a wannabe ideology or religion, with the equivalent of high priests and liturgy, holy books, it would fail to launch as such because it is too narrow a position on too narrow a topic (unbelief in deities) to sustain group cohesion. Atheists are completely free to (not) believe anything they want on any other topics. We have liberal and conservative and libertarian atheists, objectivist and egalitarian atheists, activist and conventional atheists, atheists who compartmentalize belief in various kinds of woo and those who abhor it, atheists who are vaxers and anti-vaxers, who do or don't take homeopathic remedies, who do and don't home school their children, who do and don't own guns, and on and on.

Believers imagine us as an evil monolithic bloc who are all about hating gods and the godly, molesting children, and dog knows what else. The truth is that we are just people like them, trying to do a little less making it up as we go, more willing to sit with uncertainty and less prone to find comforting lies actually comforting, but just people nonetheless, with all the diversity that implies.
[+] 5 users Like mordant's post