An egalitarian Internet? Not so, study says

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-06-2011, 07:06 AM
An egalitarian Internet? Not so, study says
I just read this article so I'm going to do exactly what it just described Tongue

It's a bit of a slap in the face... food for thought.

Full Article
June 10, 2011
(PhysOrg.com) -- The Internet is often thought of as a forum that enables egalitarian communication among people from diverse backgrounds and political persuasions, but a University of Georgia study reveals that online discussion groups display the same hierarchical structure as other large social groups.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2011, 09:14 AM
RE: An egalitarian Internet? Not so, study says
Isn't this just randomization at work DeepThought? Can such studies count in the number of peopole who are actually just "followers" and have nothing really to say or to add what already has been said?

just thinking here...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
11-06-2011, 12:44 PM
Doesn't feel like it really. We do have moderators on forums that uphold the "law" but beyond that everybody is an equal.

For example I'll say you eat baby with oregano and observer will prefer basil but we're free to disagree and nobody's the higher authority. Big Grin

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
11-06-2011, 09:11 PM
(11-06-2011 09:14 AM)The_observer Wrote:  Isn't this just randomization at work DeepThought? Can such studies count in the number of peopole who are actually just "followers" and have nothing really to say or to add what already has been said?

just thinking here...

The way I interpreted it was that many people take their information wholesale from source x. Completely unmodified in most cases. Allot of content isn't new.

And I feel like curry baby tonight. Or baby concarne! Something spicy..

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss