An equation (of sorts) that proves God cannot exist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2016, 09:15 PM
RE: An equation (of sorts) that proves God cannot exist
(14-01-2016 07:00 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(14-01-2016 05:21 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Do you really think the passage of time now is the same as it was in the beginning or immediately after the theoretical big bang?

What possible reason could you have to believe that the rate at which time flows has changed? What would you compare it against? What evidence do you offer that it is even a possibility?
Time dilation in relation to the start of the known universe.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-01-2016, 09:16 PM
(14-01-2016 04:34 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(14-01-2016 04:19 PM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  I just noticed a flaw in the bible. In the first day created evening and morning. Then how come God made the evening and morning the second day? What's going on here!?!?!
It is a statement of the very nature of all. Divided the light from the dark. And called then day and night. A testament to opposing forces and balance. The days are like eras or eons.

Kind of like stupidity and intelligence?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
14-01-2016, 09:52 PM
(14-01-2016 03:58 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The unltimate nature of reality has been proven to be non-intuitive.
All the logic in the world is not going to prove anything about the "non- macro" nature of anything. So far we have a sample size of one universe, most of which we know nothing about It's insufficient to draw any conclusions about anything.
Incorrect. When the only known sample is all you have, it's what you use.
If/when you find a way to increase your sample size, you re-do your experiment or observation.
14-01-2016, 10:03 PM
(14-01-2016 07:41 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(14-01-2016 05:09 PM)coyote Wrote:  That is an evasion. No one ever needs to change their mind.... yet virtually all conscious entities do. I'm watching my cat change his mind right now. In any event, it is a power that an omniscient entity necessarily lacks. And that causes him to fall short of omnipotence.

I think discussing what an omni-being might or might not do, can and cannot do is like herding invisble cats. With that being said since an omni-being cannot be temporal the whole argument is flawed and non-sensical.

Wait a minute. You are telling me what an omni-being cannot be, as a means of rejecting my assessment that an omni-entity cannot exist?
Do you realize you are making my argument for me? If an omnipotent being lacks the power to be temporal, how can we claim it is omnipotent??

And if you are correct, it certainly takes ALL the ancient tales of interactive deities, including Jehovah, and tosses them right in the trash. Either way, the gods turn out to not be all-powerful.... which brings us right back to Epicurus. If God cannot _________, is it really God?
14-01-2016, 10:11 PM (This post was last modified: 15-01-2016 04:29 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(14-01-2016 09:52 PM)coyote Wrote:  
(14-01-2016 03:58 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The unltimate nature of reality has been proven to be non-intuitive.
All the logic in the world is not going to prove anything about the "non- macro" nature of anything. So far we have a sample size of one universe, most of which we know nothing about It's insufficient to draw any conclusions about anything.
Incorrect. When the only known sample is all you have, it's what you use.
If/when you find a way to increase your sample size, you re-do your experiment or observation.

Wrong. If it's impossible to obtain an adequate sample size, you refrain from making idiotic generalizations until you have a statistically valid sample. It's that's not "psychologically" satisfactory, that's your problem.
94 % + of the forces acting on this universe are unknown, (Dark Energy and Dark Matter), so at this point even making generalizations about THIS universe is invalid.

http://psycnet.apa.org/psycinfo/1995-07984-001

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
14-01-2016, 10:13 PM
(14-01-2016 09:15 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(14-01-2016 07:00 PM)unfogged Wrote:  What possible reason could you have to believe that the rate at which time flows has changed? What would you compare it against? What evidence do you offer that it is even a possibility?
Time dilation in relation to the start of the known universe.

Provide ONE scientifically recognized valid reference for that garbage.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
14-01-2016, 10:20 PM
(14-01-2016 10:03 PM)coyote Wrote:  
(14-01-2016 07:41 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I think discussing what an omni-being might or might not do, can and cannot do is like herding invisble cats. With that being said since an omni-being cannot be temporal the whole argument is flawed and non-sensical.

Wait a minute. You are telling me what an omni-being cannot be, as a means of rejecting my assessment that an omni-entity cannot exist?
Do you realize you are making my argument for me? If an omnipotent being lacks the power to be temporal, how can we claim it is omnipotent??

And if you are correct, it certainly takes ALL the ancient tales of interactive deities, including Jehovah, and tosses them right in the trash. Either way, the gods turn out to not be all-powerful.... which brings us right back to Epicurus. If God cannot _________, is it really God?

Hmm... I subscribe to a much simpler school of thought. Until evidence is presented for the existence of an "omni"-entity, discussion about the nature of such entity is kinda a useless waste of time.
If evidence is presented, then it would be good use of time to discuss the evidence and its rigour.

My opinion anyway.
[+] 1 user Likes xieulong's post
14-01-2016, 10:30 PM
(14-01-2016 10:20 PM)xieulong Wrote:  Hmm... I subscribe to a much simpler school of thought. Until evidence is presented for the existence of an "omni"-entity, discussion about the nature of such entity is kinda a useless waste of time.
If evidence is presented, then it would be good use of time to discuss the evidence and its rigour.

My opinion anyway.

Ummm... what exactly are you doing hanging around a forum dedicated to discussing the concepts of theism and atheism, if you think discussing these things is a waste of time? Huh
14-01-2016, 10:43 PM (This post was last modified: 14-01-2016 10:48 PM by coyote.)
(14-01-2016 10:11 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Wrong. If it's impossible to obtain an adequate sample size, you refrain from making idiotic generalizations until you have a statistically valid sample. It's that's not "psychologically" satisfactory, that's you're problem.
94 % + of the forces acting on this universe are unknown, (Dark Energy and Dark Matter), so at this point even making generalizations about THIS universe is invalid.

Bucky Ball Wrote:The ultimate nature of the universe has proven to be non-intuitive.

This is awesome! Tell me more about the ultimate nature of the universe, which you and you alone seem to have unlocked from a sample size of one universe while anyone else who dares discuss a mere definition of a word is, in your view, making idiotic invalid generalizations about THIS universe.

Please, by all means continue.

Oh.... and how many universes do we need to have an officially adequate sample size? Where do you plan on getting those universes?
14-01-2016, 10:54 PM
(14-01-2016 10:30 PM)coyote Wrote:  
(14-01-2016 10:20 PM)xieulong Wrote:  Hmm... I subscribe to a much simpler school of thought. Until evidence is presented for the existence of an "omni"-entity, discussion about the nature of such entity is kinda a useless waste of time.

My opinion anyway.

Ummm... what exactly are you doing hanging around a forum dedicated to discussing the concepts of theism and atheism, if you think discussing these things is a waste of time? Huh

It's simple, really. There are discussions here that are worth while. There are also many enlightened members here that I can learn from. I do from time to time participate in a bit of ridicule when kooks presents their nutty "evidence" on this forum. Those are the primary reasons why I'm here. Oh oh and I also enjoy watching other members rip into ridiculous "arguments" from the religious side.

As you have alluded, I do not spend that much time on this forum as evidenced by my 0.13 posts per day. It is exactly the way I like it.

I think that pretty much answer your question. Would you like to know more? Queue the StarShip Troopers theme.
[+] 2 users Like xieulong's post