An ethical dilemma

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2013, 07:46 PM
An ethical dilemma
This was posted on TTA's facebook page earlier today and it seemed interesting enough to post here as well. I've just copied and pasted it across.

-----------------------------------------

You’re on a cruise ship that becomes badly damaged in an accident. The vessel sinks, and the 30 remaining survivors crowd themselves into a lifeboat intended to hold only 20.

The lifeboat’s occupants look to you for leadership. The lifeboat cannot stay afloat with the prohibitive weight of the extra bodies. You’re hundreds of miles from land, there are no rescue boats nearby, and the surrounding water is teeming with aggressive sharks.

You have a choice. You can stick together and most certainly have the lifeboat sink beneath you, guaranteeing certain death for everyone. Or you can save the majority of the lifeboat’s occupants by selecting 10 people to be thrown overboard to the sharks. What does a moral person do?

Tossing 10 people into the deadly waters is unthinkable. But doing so will save the lives of 20 others…20 lives most certainly doomed if the lifeboat remains overfilled.

Then again, you will have sentenced 10 precious lives to a certain and violent end, and you will live with that decision forever.

What's your solution?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2013, 08:07 PM
RE: An ethical dilemma
(10-04-2013 07:46 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  What's your solution?

Ask for volunteers.

Now you'll say no one volunteers...

Draw straws.

Now you'll say those that drew short straws won't jump willingly...

Now you fight.

"Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.” ~ Ambrose Bierce
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
10-04-2013, 09:25 PM
False dilemma, I'd make people take turns to swim along the boat for some time and when they get tired they can get back on and someone would jump off and swim, until we all reach the coast.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
10-04-2013, 09:35 PM
(10-04-2013 09:25 PM)nach_in Wrote:  False dilemma, I'd make people take turns to swim along the boat for some time and when they get tired they can get back on and someone would jump off and swim, until we all reach the coast.

That doesn't solve the issue of the shark feeding frenzy.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
10-04-2013, 09:40 PM
(10-04-2013 09:35 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(10-04-2013 09:25 PM)nach_in Wrote:  False dilemma, I'd make people take turns to swim along the boat for some time and when they get tired they can get back on and someone would jump off and swim, until we all reach the coast.

That doesn't solve the issue of the shark feeding frenzy.

Yes it does.

The swimmers who can't manage to avoid becoming shark feed have thus given their lives for the Cause.

Frankly, I can see myself kicking the heaviest people off, it is far more efficient, might even mean I can keep a could extra of the lighter people on the boat.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
10-04-2013, 09:47 PM
Throw Ego® in first. Everything else will work out.

I’m not anti-social. I’m pro-solitude. ~Author Unknown
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
10-04-2013, 10:13 PM
I guess it depends on whether or not there is something that can be used as a weapon. Particularly, if it's sharp. Cut/stab the first shark who comes close, & maybe the others will gang up on it while the boat rows on, towing the swimmers behind it. Also, it's not just the descision maker who might have nightmares if those in the water die. Any of the people in the boat might suffer survivors guilt after hearing the screams!

10-04-2013, 10:31 PM
The ethical thing to do would be to cast yourself into the sea.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
10-04-2013, 10:32 PM
I always like it when there are sharks in the story. I posted this image on another thread but I think it might apply here as well
[attachment=1289]

"Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.” ~ Ambrose Bierce
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post
10-04-2013, 10:57 PM
If there is sufficient time, a microcosm of natural selection occurs.

At first glance, the answer is that the weakest will be fed to the sharks. However, it will be more complicated than that. Groups of the strong may bond together to save some of the weak, for instance a child may be saved despite the fact that it is individually weak. Family members, if they have sufficient strength and numbers may be able to save grandma. Alliances will be made amongst strangers. Sub-groups will form. Many factors will come into play such as strength and the ability to form alliances.

Of course if the raft is sinking fast, there will simply be chaos and probably 10 large adult males realizing that they tossed 10 too many out in the melee.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes Heathen's post