An ethical dilemma

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2013, 11:24 PM
RE: An ethical dilemma
I hate these kinds of questions. I say I'm not gonna torture myself with an impossible ethical decision until the time comes that I may have to actually do it. I'll let life be the test.

But if any of you fuckers think you'll get my place in the boat... Evil_monster

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
10-04-2013, 11:54 PM
(10-04-2013 11:24 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I hate these kinds of questions. I say I'm not gonna torture myself with an impossible ethical decision until the time comes that I may have to actually do it. I'll let life be the test.

May win, may loose, but since I know this is the only life I get, there would have to be a BIG reason for me not to fight to keep it. Even then I might not be able to shed my instinct to survive! Selfish, I guess, but it is what it is. I wonder if sacrifice would be easier if we had evolved from lemmings!

11-04-2013, 12:04 AM
(10-04-2013 11:54 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(10-04-2013 11:24 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I hate these kinds of questions. I say I'm not gonna torture myself with an impossible ethical decision until the time comes that I may have to actually do it. I'll let life be the test.

May win, may loose, but since I know this is the only life I get, there would have to be a BIG reason for me not to fight to keep it. Even then I might not be able to shed my instinct to survive! Selfish, I guess, but it is what it is. I wonder if sacrifice would be easier if we had evolved from lemmings!

That's what I'm saying. I'm no goddamned lemming. Lemmings don't involve themselves with such conundrums in the first place. They lead a much simpler life, one that I am actually a bit envious of. You just dance to the music until it's over.

Then again, I suppose that's what we all do anyway. Except for some of us it's to the music comes from within... Banana_zorro

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
11-04-2013, 01:16 AM
Too much thinking, not enough chucking people off the boat.

Those situations are not a problem really. You can't predict how people will react in a high-stress environment, so regardless of what they do, you can't hold the survivors to account for what they did in order to survive - after all, they did what they had to to get by.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
11-04-2013, 01:37 AM
I don't think it's realistic.
If that situation ever arose I think the boat would sink (it doesn't wait for you to throw 10 people overboard...) or begin to sink and it would be such chaos that no rational thought would be able to made behind the decision.
aka: survival of the fittest.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
11-04-2013, 06:19 AM
(11-04-2013 01:16 AM)morondog Wrote:  after all, they did what they had to to get by.

I have a small collection of survival at sea books, one of them is The Custom of the Sea by Neil Hanson.

From the book jacket:

Captain Dudley and his crew were cast adrift a thousand miles from the nearest land in a leaky thirteen-foot dinghy with only two small tins of turnips for food, no water, and no shelter from the scorching sun. After nineteen days, they were all near death, and Dudley determined that they must resort to the horrifying practice well known among seamen of the time (late ninteenth century) called "the custom of the sea".

While the others watched, the captain killed the weakest of them, the seventeen-year-old cabin boy, and his body was eaten.

Five days later the survivors were picked up by a passing ship.

Like you say 'dog, you do what you have to do to survive.

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
11-04-2013, 06:39 AM
One could amputate body parts and use them to distract the sharks while also lightening the load. That way everyone might live. Those who refuse the amputation may have to face the sharks.

I can't believe I just wrote that!

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
11-04-2013, 06:42 AM
Just feel the need to point out that survival of the fittest in NO WAY means survival of the strongest. Like at all. Like at all at all. Conflating strong with fit is probably one of the single worst misinterpretations of Darwin.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 1 user Likes Ghost's post
11-04-2013, 06:44 AM
(11-04-2013 06:39 AM)Dom Wrote:  One could amputate body parts and use them to distract the sharks while also lightening the load. That way everyone might live. Those who refuse the amputation may have to face the sharks.

I can't believe I just wrote that!

Whoa! Shocking My image of you has just changed from Angel to Evil_monster...

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
11-04-2013, 06:47 AM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2013 07:31 AM by Vera.)
Oh, man, how many of those did we have already?

Yeah, I'm going to throw myself in front of a bus to save a puppy, step in front of a tank to save a kitty, take a bullet for a blue-eyed kid with golden curls and basically just die so that I can be a hero(ine).

How many hypotheticals must we go through before we realise all our (noble) answers don't mean squat unless we're actually in a situation like this? And if we ever do find ourselves in one, I highly doubt we'll be calmly considering the most ethical course of action.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 4 users Like Vera's post