An ethical dilemma

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2013, 07:35 AM
RE: An ethical dilemma
I would put a saddle on one of the sharks and ride it to the shore. Fuck the others in their lifeboat.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
11-04-2013, 07:36 AM
(11-04-2013 06:47 AM)Vera Wrote:  Oh, man, how many of those did we have already?

Yeah, I'm going to throw myself in front of a bus to save a puppy, step in front of a tank to save a kitty, take a bullet for a blue-eyed kid with golden curls and basically just die so that I can be a hero(ine).

How many hypotheticals must we go through before we realise all our (noble) answers don't mean squat unless we're actually in a situation like this? And if we ever do find ourself in one, I highly doubt we'll be calmly considering the most ethical course of action.

I read the Stanford and Milgram experiments on the threads linked from your previous references, interesting stuff. I have to agree with you that what you may think you'll do while comfortably sitting in your chair and munching on snacks and what you will actually do in said situation have no relationship.

On several occassions through my diving career I have seen other divers panic and shoot for the surface, this can lead to embolisms and death. In those situations where I could physically restrain them from bolting all the way to the surface (sometimes this included being punched and kicked by them) I did just that at some risk to me. But there were situations where I would have had to chase them down (in this case up) and expose myself to a much greater personal danger...I chose not to, I'd deal with them and their self-inflicted injuries eventually, only when I had done my safety stops however long that took.

We always think we'll do the altruistic, self-sacrificing thing but when the shit hits the fan its a totally different story.

“I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless."
― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
11-04-2013, 07:40 AM
(11-04-2013 06:47 AM)Vera Wrote:  Oh, man, how many of those did we have already?
Damn it, you beat me to mentioning the excellent post you made in that thread. No

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
11-04-2013, 07:43 AM
(11-04-2013 07:35 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  I would put a saddle on one of the sharks and ride it to the shore. Fuck the others in their lifeboat.

TS don't be ridiculous! They only make saddles for dolphins...
[attachment=1290]

“I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless."
― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
11-04-2013, 07:46 AM
What if one of the sharks was actually a dolphin in disguise?

11-04-2013, 08:47 AM
Full Circle, yeah, those are really interesting and rather scary. esp. since they recently made a French show loosely based on the Milgram experiment... and guess what? Turns out that we still haven't learnt the lesson about blindly following orders. One would think that a world war and a holocaust would get it through our thick skulls, but no...

And the Stanford one goes a long way towards proving that in situations like this, it's often the worst in us that rises to the surface, not the best. Of course, having read heaps on concentration camps (gotta love the legacy of communism), I know that people are also capable of acts of extreme selflessness and valour.

All I'm saying is, such hypotheticals are nothing more than pointless mental gymnastics, which people often use to feel better about themselves. And I don't really like being lied to, even if I'm the one who's doing the lying.

But enough of this boring stuff, what I wanna know is: are we talking English or American/western saddles? 'Cause even though the American one is easier (quelle surprise!), I've only ever ridden on an English one...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
11-04-2013, 09:25 AM
Whichever one happens to fit the shark better.

11-04-2013, 09:39 AM
I'd chuck any kids off. What are they going to contribute to our survival? Hmm, well, perhaps a tasty meal.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 2 users Like frankiej's post
12-04-2013, 11:36 AM
I am not sure whatever to answer the question, or point out how completely retarded it is.

My biggest pet peeve is, sharks are not like that.
Next thing is, we're on a huge ship, and you tell me the only thing aboard that floats are a single lifeboat? Bullshit.
Next thing again is, why would people look to me? Would I just step up on deck and scream "DON'T WORRY GUISE, I'VE WATCHED MAN VS. WILD. I GOT THIS SHIT".
Next thing, again again, where's the captain? the crew? the one's who jobs is to be responsible for that kid of shit?

I'm sorry, I know is a rhetorical question, but as someone who have been in the Navy, I simply can't take it serious at all.
[+] 1 user Likes MuffinPuffin's post
12-04-2013, 12:01 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2013 12:15 PM by DLJ.)
I am surprised that no one has asked the obvious qualifying question ...

Are there 10 christians on board?

If so, the solution is obvious and also beneficial to mankind.

Smile

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post