An evil god

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2016, 09:57 AM
An evil god
Even if a deity does exist, this doesn't necessarily mean that the deity is good. What if there is a god of some sort and this god is evil and enjoys watching us suffer? What if this god enjoys confusing people by presenting hundreds of religions to everyone?

Sometimes, I imagine what it would be like the God of the Bible was real, BUT he was not like how he says he is (if that makes sense). What if God lied to people in order to manipulate them?

I'm not saying that there is a god. It's just something that I think about sometimes.

☆☆☆
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2016, 10:02 AM
RE: An evil god
If there is a god he is indifferent, powerless or evil. Just look at the bible and world history.

I don't quite grasp how biblical god could be called good. I guess it is like it was with Soviet Union - both were deemed good/progressive by definition.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
27-08-2016, 10:07 AM
(27-08-2016 09:57 AM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  Even if a deity does exist, this doesn't necessarily mean that the deity is good. What if there is a god of some sort and this god is evil and enjoys watching us suffer? What if this god enjoys confusing people by presenting hundreds of religions to everyone?

Sometimes, I imagine what it would be like the God of the Bible was real, BUT he was not like how he says he is (if that makes sense). What if God lied to people in order to manipulate them?

I'm not saying that there is a god. It's just something that I think about sometimes.

But of course God is GOOD, because God provides the very metric for goodness! DUH! Dodgy

(27-08-2016 10:02 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  If there is a god he is indifferent, powerless or evil. Just look at the bible and world history.

I don't quite grasp how biblical god could be called good. I guess it is like it was with Soviet Union - both were deemed good/progressive by definition.

Maybe not ENTIRELY powerless, but certainly not omnipotent.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
27-08-2016, 10:10 AM
(27-08-2016 10:02 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  If there is a god he is indifferent, powerless or evil. Just look at the bible and world history.

I was just thinking this today. If we are made in God's image then that means, god is selfish, intolerant, illogical and narcissistic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
[+] 1 user Likes ricepudding12's post
27-08-2016, 10:13 AM
(27-08-2016 10:10 AM)ricepudding12 Wrote:  

I was just thinking this today. If we are made in God's image then that means, god is selfish, intolerant, illogical and narcissistic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Man created god in his image after all.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
27-08-2016, 10:15 AM

Have you ever read the book 1984?
27-08-2016, 10:20 AM
(27-08-2016 10:15 AM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  

Have you ever read the book 1984?
Sure. "Animal Farm" too.

There was a difference betwen Soviet state and what was written in Orwell book. SU obviously weren't so intrusive and if Richard Overy "The Dictators" is to be believed nazi state was more intrusive.

Mikhail Bakunin.
27-08-2016, 10:34 AM
(27-08-2016 09:57 AM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  Even if a deity does exist, this doesn't necessarily mean that the deity is good. What if there is a god of some sort and this god is evil and enjoys watching us suffer? What if this god enjoys confusing people by presenting hundreds of religions to everyone?

The bible confirms what you've thought:

2 Corinthians 11:14-15

14 And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. 15 It is not surprising, then, if his servants masquerade as servants of righteousness. Their end will correspond to their actions.…

The way this verse is written is basically a call to using a post hoc fallacy to explain the difference between agents of Satan and agents of god. In other words- there is no way to determine that. Facepalm

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
27-08-2016, 05:03 PM
(27-08-2016 10:34 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  

The bible confirms what you've thought:

2 Corinthians 11:14-15

14 And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. 15 It is not surprising, then, if his servants masquerade as servants of righteousness. Their end will correspond to their actions.…

The way this verse is written is basically a call to using a post hoc fallacy to explain the difference between agents of Satan and agents of god. In other words- there is no way to determine that. Facepalm

I've used this argument many times when a Xian tells me I might think I'm a good person and I'm happy but that's just Satan confusing me well, how do you know all your church going, praying, wearing the cross around your neck isn't Satan confusing you and God is just so pissed you accepted this fucked up Bible and your fucked up religion that is immoral and you're going to Hell?

I'm not going to Hell because I rejected it, so being an atheist is the right choice in a world of flawed religions and no proof of any Gods, then they say how sure they are they got the right religion, they're so joyful in their heart, etc. Yeah well, whatever, maybe I'm confused, maybe you're confused, as long as we live around each other respectfully that's all that matters but I really don't feel tempted by Satan to reject God since he also doesn't exist.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like SitaSky's post