An exchanging of thoughts

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
26-04-2010, 10:23 PM

RE: An exchanging of thoughts
Pretty interesting thread. I know one person that thought it would be a good idea if atheists united to form a political party. In response, another person thought that would be about as easy as herding cats. I thought it would be more like pushing ropes.

We all differ so much in our backgrounds and thoughts. The only things common among atheists is that we've reached a logical conclusion...there are no gods.

BTW; my take on 2012 is that it will cause all of us much pain & agony!...from those that believe we're all going to die in 2012.
Quote this message in a reply
26-04-2010, 10:36 PM
I find it somewhat funny that the very same people who believed the sun was made out of blood is trusted to predict the exact date of the end of the world. I am slightly worried about looting and rioting in places heavily dominated by the believers of this myth. But, aside from that, the world won't be any different come the 23 of December, 2012.

Radically changing this, the TV baby sitter, and the violent and sexual images it can show.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-04-2010, 10:36 PM

Does anyone else perceive a self-fulfilling prophecy movement occurring? Or is it just me?

"Radically changing this, the TV baby sitter, and the violent and sexual images it can show."

What?
26-04-2010, 10:53 PM
(26-04-2010 10:23 PM)Michael R Wrote:  Pretty interesting thread. I know one person that thought it would be a good idea if atheists united to form a political party. In response, another person thought that would be about as easy as herding cats.

Possibly me. Where was this?

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-04-2010, 10:55 PM

Although you may have mentioned a similar viewpoint Unbeliever, I too have heard that quote before, and although it is possible that you created both instances, it is very unlikely.
26-04-2010, 11:05 PM
I dunno... I'm pretty active... Tongue

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-04-2010, 08:16 AM

okay i wanna ask you all fall back on the argument god is infallible according to the bible so the world must be perfect. it isnt, so god isnt infallible or omnipotent or even existent.

i voiced the opinion that a perfect world is impossible but your all still preoccupied with the idea it should be possible. so i wanna hear a vision of a perfect world but that would take too much effort to think out so i'll be more specefic a perfect body. in ceryle's eyes i understand it shouldnt get sick in the first place but how do you plan to achieve that. what sort of body should it be. taking into consideration the current laws of physics and how they might/could be changed to facilitate that body existence.

envision you are god and design a utopic body
27-04-2010, 08:32 AM

"okay i wanna ask you all fall back on the argument god is infallible according to the bible so the world must be perfect. it isnt, so god isnt infallible or omnipotent or even existent."

Absolutely. And sure, I'll give your next question a shot.

If I were a god, creating a species, and I wanted to make as perfect a biological organism as possible...

1) They would never become afflicted by ailments from within.
2) No amount of physical trauma could kill the individual in question, they would always reform, even if torn apart at the atomic level.
3) They would live an indefinite lifespan, until the individual in question chose to cease living, at which point it would be hardwired in every other member of that species, to accept that individuals decision.
4) Pain would not exist as we know it.

Hmm, that's it for now, I'll add more as I think of them.
27-04-2010, 09:36 AM

the first two are wishes not some form in which it might be possible. like saying our skin needs to be stronger so we need to introduce a simillar concept from bulletproofvests to our skin structure.

2 pegs the questions how do you envision a world where every single cell has a mind of its own with significant intelligence. so it can find its other parts or perform cellural replication by itself while keeping the same level of inteligence. it is possible but they are still dumb creatures. it is because we have specialized cells. that we can obtain our complexity and so on

4 makes me wonder what other indicator you would like if something is wrong with your body. and mostly do you also wanna eradicate emotional pain. grief and mourning aside just being excluded hurts or being turned down for something etc they range in severity but are still important information from which we determine how to proceed.

feel free to add on and i will continue to try to point out the impossibility. prove me wrong by not allowing me to prove you wrong.
27-04-2010, 09:39 AM

The position that I was asked to argue from, was from an omnipotent godhood. As such, no matter what I present, even if contradictory to our own universal understanding, should be possible.