An exchanging of thoughts

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
27-04-2010, 04:47 PM

RE: An exchanging of thoughts
just because god isnt omnipotent doesnt mean he doesnt exist. martin can fill in the blanks here.

i'm getting sick of trying to defend somethingAngry. i wanna bash something in the ground right now so i'm gonna be hovering around loopholes for the time being, taking a atheist standpoint.Big Grin somebody else can take a theist point of view now. ceryle you up for it ? (ya said you could argue from both sides so give it a shot)

but back to point, what do you mean with ''At best you would be talking about a highly advanced and entirely fallible civilization. ''
Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2010, 05:06 PM

If a civilization becomes advanced enough, then it would effectively become indistinguishable, from what we call gods, to a lesser civilization encountering it.

Also, omnipotence is one of the key defining points of Yahweh. To remove it from itself, effectively tears out a significant portion of its godhood.
27-04-2010, 05:34 PM

(27-04-2010 05:06 PM)Ceryle Wrote:  If a civilization becomes advanced enough, then it would effectively become indistinguishable, from what we call gods, to a lesser civilization encountering it.

Also, omnipotence is one of the key defining points of Yahweh. To remove it from itself, effectively tears out a significant portion of its godhood.

the upper part reminds me of the spanish landing in central america. ever heard of how cortez was treated like a god by the aztect because of the cannons horses and shiny armor they had with them. and than he killed and stole their gold or something. but more people died because of the flu they brought with them. ( picked the wrong god)

ok fine i guess with that definition yahweh can be pronounced dead. defending him is too difficult without a better understanding of the bible from a theistic viewpoint.
27-04-2010, 05:49 PM

Ironically, I too was thinking of a similar thing, shortly after I had written that post; about Cortez that is.

I don't know Ulfark I'm kind of having fun on the other post, explaining the logic behind Yahwehs stories. ^_^
28-04-2010, 03:17 PM
(26-04-2010 10:36 PM)Ceryle Wrote:  Does anyone else perceive a self-fulfilling prophecy movement occurring? Or is it just me?

"Radically changing this, the TV baby sitter, and the violent and sexual images it can show."

What?

Well, returning this thread back to its main purpose, since Ulfark seems to be done, I mean by TV baby sitter is when a parent will have their child watch TV for hours on end, so they don't have to directly watch them. The last part is talking about the complaints that it exposes young children to violent and sexual images.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2010, 03:29 PM

What do you think of chivalry?
28-04-2010, 04:34 PM
Not dead, but certainly endangered. I was watching TV last night, and the plot was that a man fell in love with a woman, and when talking about it he said, "I love this bitch" pardon my language, but I wondered when that became an appropriate word to use in reference to any woman, much less the one you loved. But there are still gentlemen out there, and even if someone is crude, that doesn't mean they are bad.

How about circumcision, religious practice or child abuse?

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
28-04-2010, 04:38 PM

as in mideval knightly ideals or a more modern brave gentleman idea.

either overrated one has to be brave borderline reckless and follow some guideline for his conduct. i think we can make rules for our own conduct. i never followed any social rules they just coincided with my rules.

what makes this the perfect set of rules. doesnt this promote a liking to brawn over brain. a more prudent approach is more advisable than a headfirst charge. a charge looks good if it workss but is a disaster if it fails. the prudent dont shine but rarely crack. to the skilfull eye they are more valuable than all.

if you need help nowadays what would be more usefull a chivalrous friend or a prudent friend.
you might look sly and calculating and thus evil due to propaganda for the chivalrous idea. but i would rather be smart and alive than brave and dead.

didnt they frequently call upon men in arms to be brave when they knew they were going to die. for instance suicide attacks in WW1 and WW2, when people tell me to be brave i am gonna ask some serious questions. i would rather flee the country than fight to defend it. if that makes me a spineless coward so be it.
28-04-2010, 05:00 PM

Circumcision is a barbaric and horrible practice that should never have clawed its way out of the age of stupidity that it belongs in; I suppose I would call it a combination of the two options you presented, more abuse than religious practice though.

I would rephrase your statement as follows: "I would rather flee the country than fight to defend it, against impossible odds." That is of course assuming that the country itself is worth fighting for; and true enough, dieing does little to help anyone.

Vegetarianism, a worthwhile endeavor?
28-04-2010, 05:15 PM
(28-04-2010 05:00 PM)Ceryle Wrote:  Circumcision is a barbaric and horrible practice that should never have clawed its way out of the age of stupidity that it belongs in; I suppose I would call it a combination of the two options you presented, more abuse than religious practice though.

Actually, circumcision has some medical and aesthetic value beyond the religious. I won't go into too much detail here, so as to avoid squicking of people's minds, but uncircumcised men are more prone to infection, and apparently sex feels better for both parties.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user