An exchanging of thoughts

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
29-04-2010, 10:46 PM
RE: An exchanging of thoughts
A serious question? I'm sorry. I've never seen one in real life. I suppose it would be better than toilet paper, but I don't like the idea of using one. And about animal cruelty, I was more or less thinking how high is it on your priority list, where do you draw the line? Is hunting okay? What reform, if any, should be taken towards cattle farms? Things along those lines.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-04-2010, 10:57 PM

(26-04-2010 06:23 PM)Ceryle Wrote:  I don't mind Googles growing sphere of influence.

Yes, I too am in favor of the heat death scenario. Only, I carry it one step further, and postulate that upon the advent of the heat death, quantum fluctuations will in turn initiate a chain reaction culminating in another big bang. I am also in favor of the multiverse theory.

What do you think of the singularity?

"heat death, quantum fluctuations will in turn initiate a chain reaction culminating in another big bang. I am also in favor of the multiverse theory."

My guess is you don't know WTF you are talking about and are only going by what your teachers, peers, and what is "dope" on the internet!
Quote this message in a reply
30-04-2010, 05:37 AM

martin, your obvious prejudice towards the younger forum members is noted...
30-04-2010, 05:57 AM
As I have said... this attitude only denotes insecurity about one's beliefs, and it is entirely childish. He can't attack the statements that are made, so he resorts to attacking the person, or a certain characteristic of that person, and the most readily available attribute at hand is age, as age has long been associated with lack of knowledge and experience. However, our younger forum members have proved themselves to be very intelligent and thorough researchers, so what he does is make judegements based on a pre-conceived idea, rather than factual evidence. But then isn't that what religious apologetics is all about?

All learning is quite useless if you haven't learned to question what you learn.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-04-2010, 08:41 AM

I am not opposed to hunting based upon necessity; and to be honest, I don't really see any good reason to maintain the meat industry. The amount of product gained, from the amount of resources invested, is terribly skewed. In my eyes, if you want meat, from a grazing animal, then why not engineer, either naturally or artificially, a mindless grass eating biological machine that produces a more favorable return of resources, from those invested into it; honestly, I'd make it plant like. Engineer it to photosynthesize, maybe eat grass too, but I don't really see the need. In this manner, you'd be growing meat melons. ^_^

What do you make of feminism?

@Martin

Reject what I say, not who I am.
30-04-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:Reject what I say, not who I am.

Awesome quote, Ceryle. Just about sums up my thoughts as well. Smile
30-04-2010, 01:18 PM
Feminism is interesting. I owe the feminists a lot, there is a good chance that had there never been any feminist movement, I wouldn't have been allowed to get the education I have gotten, along with many other things. Modern day feminists tend to be overly-sensitive in my eyes though. Though, a lot would depend on how you view a feminist. Back when there was significantly more gender discrimination, they would for equal right, such as an equal education, or equal job opportunities. Now we have that, for the most part. Chances are, if you walk up to any given woman on the street, and ask if a woman should be allowed to become a doctor or lawyer, they would say yes. In fact, the major or people altogether would agree. The battle for equal rights has been mostly won, and the remaining inequalities are becoming harder to fight, since most legal action and social action that could have been taken, has been. The idea of gender equality is strong within the general public, and as long as that keeps up, I think within a few generation, both males and females will be basically equal. A lot of the modern-day feminism seems redundant, and in some cases hurts the cause more than helps. However, the moderate feminists do help a lot to keep the equality spirit alive.

As compared to racial minorities, I think it's a lot easier for equality to be given to females. The problem with minorities getting a good education and better jobs is that what caused their discrimination is genetic. Right after the slaves were freed, they were uneducated and poor. Their children followed suit, simply because their parents were unable to give them a decent education. This continues chain continues, slowly getting better, but still today many black family live in poverty, as compared to white families. A female can be born to a poor black family, or a rich white family. The rich people usually send their daughter to get a good education, and that leads to a good job, which brings respect to the female community as a whole. To summarize, past (nonviolent)feminists get a big thumbs up, modern extreme feminists gets a thumbs down, and modern moderate feminists gets a tip of my nonexistent hat.

What do you think about affirmative action?

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
30-04-2010, 01:55 PM

(30-04-2010 01:18 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  What do you think about affirmative action?

Oh AA kind of rubs me the wrongs way big time. I'm a scientist, and analytical chemist to be exact so my job is to solve problems. In order to do this you must first figure out the root cause of the issue and solve from there. To me our goverment far to often if not 100% of the time attempt to mask a symtom and ignore the main issue. If minorities are not getting into colleges based on merit (discrimnation is another topic) the solution should not be to bend the merit criteria just for minorities. You need to start from the ground level and develop of new generation of minorities who have been given opportunities from birth. This means helping parents and children of minorities. The problem for our government is that there is no immediate impact which means no re-election. AA however leads to negative feelings and I think creates racial instability. Government deals with HUGE issues which were born over many many years, but wishes to cure them with one sweep of the pen overnight. Can't happen, just can't.

Have we touched of universal health care? (guilty of not reading the entire thread, sorry)
30-04-2010, 03:24 PM

Simply put, universal health care should be a standard of 'modern' countries. I could rant endlessly about this subject so I'm not going to.

What do you think of frozen bell peppers?
30-04-2010, 03:32 PM
Only if they are orange or red. I'm just taking you're world for it though, I've never had one.

What do you think about California's Proposition 14?