An extended hello from a college free-thinker!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-04-2014, 01:42 PM
An extended hello from a college free-thinker!
Hello, long time listener of TTA's podcasts but new to this website and forum!

A little bit about me:

I'm a senior in college who has only one month left until graduating, and while I am an atheist I have been involved with the schools Campus Crusades for Christ (referred to as "Cru"). As a freshman I roomed with a devout Evangelical Christian whom I made fast friends with, and once she started getting involved with Cru I indirectly did as well. Over the years I started attending Bible Studies, meetings/talks, and just "fun" activities the group held. I made many friends within the group, and while sometimes it was uncomfortable, I got a first hand education on the Christian belief that I never truly experienced before.

Growing up in a secular family provided me with a childhood of sleeping in on Sunday's and a more non-biased perspective of the world. I never really experienced Christianity (except watching Jesus Christ Superstar and a few "talks" about hell in my elementary years), so I was curious to get a more in-depth view of the belief systems and function of the church. It was hard at first because while the people themselves are very welcoming, their belief systems are not and sometimes I felt indirectly attacked through their faith or held a strong objection to what they were preaching about. It was also an experience hearing people my age, young and energetic about god, praising the lord for the most trivial of things. Whenever we ate (wherever we ate...even in public), we prayed in thanks for the meal (something I have never experienced before since no one in my extended family is religious). We would talk about directly speaking with god and how he would answer back, and how Satan utterly ruined the world we lived in and how we had to shield ourselves from sin.

Hearing some of these things being uttered from very smart people confused the hell out of me. My (long) time with their group gave me a more tolerant view of Christianity as a whole, and a better understanding of where god-believers are coming from. There were a few instances that bewildered me, like when my roommate actually started crying about how she wanted to save me and didn't want me to go to hell, which was thoughtful but made me feel a bit like an ass, and the time when this girl spoke very passionately at how she was driven to this one tree near the pond and when she sat under it she could tell that god put it there just for her. After a few bible studies I had to get "clean" by watching atheist videos (like TTA) to try to get my mindset out of the depressing/peculiar Christian thinking that I had been exposed to for the past 3 hours.

Overall I’m glad I went to all those meetings, I made some great friends and I learned more than I ever thought possible. I’m actually getting a minor in religious studies, so I’m hoping I’ll continue to learn more about all faiths even when I get out of college. Thank you all for reading, this was a lot more than I intended to write but I don’t really have a place to share my experiences so I just thought I’d post them here. Can’t wait to talk to more like-minded folk, hope you all have a wonderful day! Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Humanity's post
26-04-2014, 01:51 PM
RE: An extended hello from a college free-thinker!
Good on ya for being open to exploring a different walk of life without a need to be judgmental or condescending. The world needs more attitudes like yours.

Welcome to the forum!

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
26-04-2014, 02:02 PM
Welcome. Here is your welcome seal.

[Image: leopard-seal-2-lg.jpg]

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
26-04-2014, 02:06 PM
Thank you guys for the warm hellos! Smile
26-04-2014, 02:07 PM
(26-04-2014 02:06 PM)Humanity Wrote:  Thank you guys for the warm hellos! Smile

[Image: 21.jpg]

You're welcome.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
26-04-2014, 02:15 PM
Sounds cool Big Grin Glad to have you here and hope! I'm sure you'll learn about religion here too (or at least opinions about it)! And of course good luck with your finals darlin'!

[Image: notagain.gif]
26-04-2014, 02:17 PM
Welcome!!!! Big Grin

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
26-04-2014, 02:17 PM
Welcome in from the cold.

But for the good of the movement, we need you stay there for a little longer under deep cover.

Soon you will be informed of your target. You will know what you have to do.

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
27-04-2014, 08:54 PM
We are always enthusastic in deconveting beautiful Christian hotgirls.

So stay undercover for a little while till we've got enough information, will you ?

Welcome.

[Image: bee3ef62gw1ef7zd61ohng201e01emxc.gif]

Want something? Then do something.
28-04-2014, 07:37 AM
(26-04-2014 01:42 PM)Humanity Wrote:  Hello, long time listener of TTA's podcasts but new to this website and forum!

A little bit about me:

I'm a senior in college who has only one month left until graduating, and while I am an atheist I have been involved with the schools Campus Crusades for Christ (referred to as "Cru"). As a freshman I roomed with a devout Evangelical Christian whom I made fast friends with, and once she started getting involved with Cru I indirectly did as well. Over the years I started attending Bible Studies, meetings/talks, and just "fun" activities the group held. I made many friends within the group, and while sometimes it was uncomfortable, I got a first hand education on the Christian belief that I never truly experienced before.

Growing up in a secular family provided me with a childhood of sleeping in on Sunday's and a more non-biased perspective of the world. I never really experienced Christianity (except watching Jesus Christ Superstar and a few "talks" about hell in my elementary years), so I was curious to get a more in-depth view of the belief systems and function of the church. It was hard at first because while the people themselves are very welcoming, their belief systems are not and sometimes I felt indirectly attacked through their faith or held a strong objection to what they were preaching about. It was also an experience hearing people my age, young and energetic about god, praising the lord for the most trivial of things. Whenever we ate (wherever we ate...even in public), we prayed in thanks for the meal (something I have never experienced before since no one in my extended family is religious). We would talk about directly speaking with god and how he would answer back, and how Satan utterly ruined the world we lived in and how we had to shield ourselves from sin.

Hearing some of these things being uttered from very smart people confused the hell out of me. My (long) time with their group gave me a more tolerant view of Christianity as a whole, and a better understanding of where god-believers are coming from. There were a few instances that bewildered me, like when my roommate actually started crying about how she wanted to save me and didn't want me to go to hell, which was thoughtful but made me feel a bit like an ass, and the time when this girl spoke very passionately at how she was driven to this one tree near the pond and when she sat under it she could tell that god put it there just for her. After a few bible studies I had to get "clean" by watching atheist videos (like TTA) to try to get my mindset out of the depressing/peculiar Christian thinking that I had been exposed to for the past 3 hours.

Overall I’m glad I went to all those meetings, I made some great friends and I learned more than I ever thought possible. I’m actually getting a minor in religious studies, so I’m hoping I’ll continue to learn more about all faiths even when I get out of college. Thank you all for reading, this was a lot more than I intended to write but I don’t really have a place to share my experiences so I just thought I’d post them here. Can’t wait to talk to more like-minded folk, hope you all have a wonderful day! Heart

Welcome to the forum.
Have you found any atheist . . . er . . . "free thought" groups on your campus? If yes, attend a few of their meetings/functions. Good for comparison with religion groups. If not, why not start one? Leave a three by five file card in the student hall/lobby with a date and place to meet....see what develops.

"People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned!" Evil_monster
[+] 1 user Likes RaisdCath's post