An inaccurate account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-11-2014, 10:27 PM
An inaccurate account
I'm watching Elementary (a Sherlock Holmes series on tv) when he says. "I can't believe you're willing to let a murderer go free because of an inaccurate account believed by the masses of the world"

Or words to that effect

This is one of the dangers of religion.
They can look the other way and believe an inaccurate account of what took place and let criminals run free instead of facing the hard truth of reality.

Priests doing things they shouldn't.
TV evangelists bilking people out of billions.

Systematically setting up societies to accept suffering, to accept loss of life, to accept famine.
When you accept inaccurate accounts, you allow evil to flourish.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
10-11-2014, 10:37 PM
RE: An inaccurate account
You have it wrong - It's not religion that does this, It's evil people. No sane Muslim, Christian, Buddhist, Hindu, Mormon, Atheist, Pastafarian (Tongue), etc. would want the things you listed to happen.
10-11-2014, 10:56 PM
(10-11-2014 10:37 PM)Nintentacle Wrote:  You have it wrong - It's not religion that does this, It's evil people. No sane Muslim, Christian, Buddhist, Hindu, Mormon, Atheist, Pastafarian (Tongue), etc. would want the things you listed to happen.

I'd like to hear more about this. Can you please provide citations? Examples of non religious people doing the things Rahn gave as examples?

Rahn127 Wrote:Priests doing things they shouldn't.
TV evangelists bilking people out of billions.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
10-11-2014, 11:16 PM
My point was that when you accept a lie as the truth, you stop seeking the truth.
If the truth sets you free, then believing a lie keeps you in the cage.
Religion can cause a good man to commit atrocities and it can get the masses to accept that atrocity as a moral good if their god sanctions it.

Accepting that a god works in mysterious ways when you hear about some horrible crime, instead of seeking real justice is what I was talking about.
I said nothing about people wanting to commit a harmful act, but instead accepting that some measure of harm, some death, some rape, some honor killing, some mutilation is a good thing when it's falsely believed by the masses to be good.

This inaccurate account of goodness is fully supported by religion. That's why many say that it poisons everything it touches.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
11-11-2014, 02:12 AM
(10-11-2014 10:37 PM)Nintentacle Wrote:  You have it wrong - It's not religion that does this, It's evil people. No sane Muslim, Christian, Buddhist, Hindu, Mormon, Atheist, Pastafarian (Tongue), etc. would want the things you listed to happen.

Regardless of how sane or evil people doing this are (and let's not forget that some pretty heinous activity has been motivated and publicly justified by intense religious belief), that's not the point. The point is how many OTHER people in the world at large are willing to give it a pass 'cause God.

Actually the point was more general: that just because the world thinks they caught the perpetrator of a crime, doesn't mean that the few people who know better should stop looking for the real perpetrator.

.... in this sense, it's a bit of a stretch to apply this idea to religion. Maaaaybe witch-burnings for hail or disease or whatnot. Or.... oooh! Darwin vs Creationism! Galileo vs the Aristotelian Cosmos!
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
11-11-2014, 03:25 AM

Religions have been for millennia used as the primary motivator and justification for countless horrendous acts by the true believers. It's not that all the religious people doing shitty things are just evil; sure a lot of them are, but they are still most definitely True Scotsmen.

That is, of course unless you want to allege that all militant Muslims are not Muslims, all the con-artist televangelists aren't really evangelical Christians, all the violent Buddhist mob participants in Sri Lanka aren't really Buddhists (among countless other examples) and you can prove that they are lying when they say their actions are primarily religiously motivated then you can sit back down.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
11-11-2014, 04:12 AM
The number of corrupted priests, pastors and ministers probably outweighs that of corrupted politicians. And like many politicians, the religious leaders likely started with good intentions. But the money and the power comes to easy and infiltrates their weak hearts.

I can't count the number of pastors in this small Southern area that live in fancy houses and drive nice cars. Where does their flock think they get the money for those things? It speaks volumes to the idea that people can purchase their place in the afterlife.

The church leaders disgust me but I struggle to find pity for the morons throwing their hard earned money at them.