An intellectual discussion on the RCC or Ripping Catholic dogmas a new one

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2014, 11:19 PM
RE: An intellectual discussion on the RCC or Ripping Catholic dogmas a new one
220. The powers bestowed on the Apostles have descended to the bishops. (De fide)

220. The perversions bestowed on the Apostles have descended to the bishops. (De fide)

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-04-2014, 12:15 AM
183. Grace cannot be merited by natural works either de condigno or de congruo. (De fide.)

183. Grace cannot be contacted, she is incognito with a Do not disturb on her door.(De fide.)
Tongue

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
22-04-2014, 02:01 AM
That page reminds me of the Ferengi rules of acquistion.
22-04-2014, 03:32 AM (This post was last modified: 22-04-2014 07:18 AM by DLJ.)

The Continuous Preservation and Governing of the World

69. God keeps all created things in existence. (De fide.)
70. God co-operates immediately in every act of His creatures. (Sent. communis.)
71. God through His providence, protects and guides all that He has created. (De fide.)

69. ... until he doesn't.
Perhaps death is all the evidence we need that organic life was not 'created'.

70. ... but try asking him for a new BMW!

71. ... so it is impossible to get lost or get hurt. Or, if you get lost or hurt, then you were not created.

Sounds legit.

Dodgy

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
22-04-2014, 05:05 AM
(21-04-2014 09:59 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Nah, what happens is they don't tell you this stuff because if they did there wouldn't be anyone left in the church but for the priests and nuns. They just tell you to love baby jeebus, not to touch yourself, say lots of hail Marys and sit/stand/kneel/sit/stand/kneel/sit and give them money.

Fixt. The nunny bunnies I know are cool ladies. They don't buy into any of this shit. All they care about is teaching English to immigrants, and social justice and women's rights. One of them goes to a Native American drum ceremony on weekends instead of Mass. Her "sisters" could care less what she does. They "keep their heads" down (to a certain degree, so as to not cause a situation in which the bishop would be forced (by Rome) to "act"). I would not be surprised if one or more of them "said Mass" (in a "Catholic underground" setting). The "Nuns on the Bus" were a significant pain in the ass to Romney/Ryan in the last election. Two years ago, the US Conference of Women Religious (I think I heard it correctly) had as part of their Summer convention, either a talk or "breakout" meeting called "Moving Beyond Jesus". Granted there are many communities of very conservative RC nuns, but there are some that are very enlightened, (IMO). A few of the sisters I know have long arrest (and actual jail) records, for getting arrested in anti-war demonstrations and "incidents". I have a lot of respect for them.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
22-04-2014, 07:01 AM
(22-04-2014 05:05 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(21-04-2014 09:59 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Nah, what happens is they don't tell you this stuff because if they did there wouldn't be anyone left in the church but for the priests and nuns. They just tell you to love baby jeebus, not to touch yourself, say lots of hail Marys and sit/stand/kneel/sit/stand/kneel/sit and give them money.

Fixt. The nunny bunnies I know are cool ladies. They don't buy into any of this shit. All they care about is teaching English to immigrants, and social justice and women's rights. One of them goes to a Native American drum ceremony on weekends instead of Mass. Her "sisters" could care less what she does. They "keep their heads" down (to a certain degree, so as to not cause a situation in which the bishop would be forced (by Rome) to "act"). I would not be surprised if one or more of them "said Mass" (in a "Catholic underground" setting). The "Nuns on the Bus" were a significant pain in the ass to Romney/Ryan in the last election. Two years ago, the US Conference of Women Religious (I think I heard it correctly) had as part of their Summer convention, either a talk or "breakout" meeting called "Moving Beyond Jesus". Granted there are many communities of very conservative RC nuns, but there are some that are very enlightened, (IMO). A few of the sisters I know have long arrest (and actual jail) records, for getting arrested in anti-war demonstrations and "incidents". I have a lot of respect for them.

It would seem to me then that the nuns really don't need the Church then. They could disassociate themselves from that misogynous bunch and do their good works without worrying about being punished. I did see the "Nuns on a bus" thing.

As for being arrested there seems to be a big difference why nuns and priests get arrested huh? Rolleyes

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
22-04-2014, 07:04 AM
(22-04-2014 03:32 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
The Continuous Preservation and Governing of the World

69. God keeps all created things in existence. (De fide.)
70. God co-operates immediately in every act of His creatures. (Sent. communis.)
71. God through His providence, protects and guides all that He has created. (De fide.)

69. ... until he doesn't.
Perhaps death is all the evidence we need that organic life was not 'created'.

70. ... but try asking him for a new BMW!

71. ... so it impossible to get lost or get hurt. Or, if you get lost or hurt, then you were not created.

Sounds legit.

Dodgy

As for number 71 you would think that if He is guiding all of us then we are simply doing what He wants, how can any of that be considered sinful? Huh And where did Free Will go?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
22-04-2014, 07:19 AM
(22-04-2014 07:01 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(22-04-2014 05:05 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Fixt. The nunny bunnies I know are cool ladies. They don't buy into any of this shit. All they care about is teaching English to immigrants, and social justice and women's rights. One of them goes to a Native American drum ceremony on weekends instead of Mass. Her "sisters" could care less what she does. They "keep their heads" down (to a certain degree, so as to not cause a situation in which the bishop would be forced (by Rome) to "act"). I would not be surprised if one or more of them "said Mass" (in a "Catholic underground" setting). The "Nuns on the Bus" were a significant pain in the ass to Romney/Ryan in the last election. Two years ago, the US Conference of Women Religious (I think I heard it correctly) had as part of their Summer convention, either a talk or "breakout" meeting called "Moving Beyond Jesus". Granted there are many communities of very conservative RC nuns, but there are some that are very enlightened, (IMO). A few of the sisters I know have long arrest (and actual jail) records, for getting arrested in anti-war demonstrations and "incidents". I have a lot of respect for them.

It would seem to me then that the nuns really don't need the Church then. They could disassociate themselves from that misogynous bunch and do their good works without worrying about being punished. I did see the "Nuns on a bus" thing.

As for being arrested there seems to be a big difference why nuns and priests get arrested huh? Rolleyes

You're right, but their community is what provides their support, in ways they could not individually. It does maintain a certain "proper" exterior and "institutional" validation. They do understand their numbers are dwindling, and are actively planning for the future, as they do get that. But remaining where they are gives them a certain "moral imperative" both internally, (in the Church) and externally. I know it's hard to get for those who don't actually know them well. But they are very free to do their own things, very content, (and very secure). One of our friend's daughters is thinking about joining. There are vast (but VERY carefully "tied up" legally) resources, so any intelligent young woman who, for example, was interested in running a large charitable foundation, or doing that sort of work, would have a virtually certain top admin job, just by walking in the door. They live modestly, but actually want for, and worry about, nothing. They can travel anywhere they want, go to any school they want, pretty much do whatever they want, pick any career they want, (with some "external" restrictions). Not a bad life.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
22-04-2014, 07:31 AM
415. The bodies of the godless will rise again in incorruption and immortality, but they will not be transfigured. (Sent. certa.)

That's cool. I'm already beautiful enough

416. Christ, on His second coming, will judge all men. (De fide. )

... and women will judge that second coming and give marks out of 10 for style, technical capability and artistic achievement.

417. The present world will be destroyed on the Last Day. (Sent. certa.)

Bummer!

418. The present world will be restored on the Last Day. (Sent. certa.)

Yay!
... and it will be as like unto Disney World.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
22-04-2014, 10:27 AM
(21-04-2014 09:54 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  67. God alone created the World. (De fide.)
68. No Creature can, as Principal Cause (causa principalis) that is, from its own power, create something out of nothing. (Sent. communis.)
67 & 68. Cancel each other out since both cannot be true. If 68 is true then, by definition, 67 is false.

Not to defend Catholic dogma (which is plenty weird), but these actually don't cancel each other, because God is not a "creature". A creature is something that has been created. What it's saying is that only God (and not his creatures) can create something out of nothing -- which makes perfect sense if you believe in God.