An interesting sentence about totalitarianism and freedom.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2013, 12:35 AM
I find this sentence interesting and thought provoking:

Quote:"It is understandarable for human beings to escape the impulse of freedom through totalitarianism, because freedom means responsibility. A free man is doomed to be a spiritual orphan who is friendless and helpless except his own mind and soul."
-- From the web.

Consider

I think it's quite reasonable.

Want something? Then do something.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2013, 08:42 AM
RE: An interesting sentence about totalitarianism and freedom.
The childish impulse to be free from responsibility is also understandable; but it is time for us to put childish things aside.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 2 users Like Phaedrus's post
01-06-2013, 01:40 PM
(01-06-2013 12:35 AM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  I find this sentence interesting and thought provoking:

Quote:"It is understandarable for human beings to escape the impulse of freedom through totalitarianism, because freedom means responsibility. A free man is doomed to be a spiritual orphan who is friendless and helpless except his own mind and soul."
-- From the web.

Consider

No, it is cowardly and shallow.

A mature person can look into the abyss and not blink, turn back to his or her fellows and join in the shared joy of human existence.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
01-06-2013, 02:35 PM
(01-06-2013 12:35 AM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  I find this sentence interesting and thought provoking:

-- From the web.

Consider

Religion is totalitarian, and there is no reason in turning to it. It is true that there is an impulse in humanity to turn towards totalitarianism. At some level, we want to be taken care of. But I would rather think of Benjamin Franklin's thoughts on this over the thoughts expressed in your quote. Franklin famously said:
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

That is a fine principle to live by.
[+] 2 users Like BryanS's post
01-06-2013, 02:54 PM

-- From the web.

Consider

While looking for attribution for this quote, HU, it appears to be from an online book report seller about Erich Fromm's Escape from Freedom.

But Fromm doesn't stop there, "The way to become truly free in an individual sense is to become spontaneous in our self-expression and behaviour and respond truthfully to our genuine feelings. This is crystallised in his existential statement 'there is only one meaning of life: the act of living it'. Fromm counters suggestions that this might lead to social chaos by claiming that being truly in touch with our humanity is to be truly in touch with the needs of those with whom we share the world. This is the meaning of a truly social democracy and the realisation of the positive 'freedom to' that arises when people escape the malign influence of totalising political orders."

Anyhu, thanks for making me find something new.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
01-06-2013, 05:14 PM
Democracy is totalitarian by definition, 40 percent vote no, lose the vote, the result is that there acts as human beings are sublated into and rendered ineffectual to the other part of society.
01-06-2013, 05:22 PM
(01-06-2013 05:14 PM)I and I Wrote:  Democracy is totalitarian by definition, 40 percent vote no, lose the vote, the result is that there acts as human beings are sublated into and rendered ineffectual to the other part of society.

Then I guess it's a good thing that the U.S.A. is a republic, not a democracy.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-06-2013, 06:46 PM
(01-06-2013 05:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-06-2013 05:14 PM)I and I Wrote:  Democracy is totalitarian by definition, 40 percent vote no, lose the vote, the result is that there acts as human beings are sublated into and rendered ineffectual to the other part of society.

Then I guess it's a good thing that the U.S.A. is a republic, not a democracy.
Right, I am not wearing pants I am wearing jeans.
[+] 1 user Likes I and I's post
01-06-2013, 07:38 PM
Lol, the Chinese communist talking about freedom.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
02-06-2013, 12:47 AM
(01-06-2013 07:38 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Lol, the Chinese communist talking about freedom.

Oops

Want something? Then do something.
[+] 2 users Like HU.Junyuan's post