An interesting take on Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-06-2012, 10:47 AM
An interesting take on Jesus
This thought struck me the other day, and it has been eating at me ever since. I've never personally come across this thought, either, so I thought it might have the potential to be interesting.

Many Christian believers will say something along the lines of "It was necessary for God to come to Earth in human form, as his son Jesus, to experience life as a human." I don't know how common it
is, but this was what we were taught in the four different churches we went to, plus my friend's pentecostal church. All five were different denominations, by the way. Though I have to be honest and say that I never could tell much of a relevant difference between them, haha.

Anyway, the idea is that Jesus needed to live as a human to experience our human desires and temptations and somehow that played into his execution and our salvation. Now that I write this I can't figure where they were supposed to connect, but that's beside the point. What struck me the other night was that, if you grant the story is true, then Jesus did nothing of the sort.

Sure he was tempted in the desert, and he felt the fear of death the night before Judas turned him in. Apart from that, however, he suffered almost nothing of the human experience. He was supposed to
be pure. Sinless.

But what can he know of life as a human if he never felt the pangs of love? Of heartbreak thereafter? The joy and uncertainty of following hopes and dreams? Any of the pains sin can bring us? Any of the JOYS it brings us? Losing you temper over petty things, and slapping yourself later? The complexities that life brings when it intertwines our goals and relationships, sometimes for the good, sometimes for the bad? From the small and ultimately insignificant, to accidentally ostracizing someone you love. Or having to make the hard decision and burn the bridge yourself? Of temptation for little things and following through? Or even the big ones?

Obviously life is far too complex to capture here, but I hope you get the idea. Jesus got angry once or twice, felt fear, temptation, but in all that he learned nothing of what it was like being human, simply because he never made a mistake. Never had to try and correct something he screwed up and felt the embarrassment and responsibility for.

He never experienced those complex thoughts, situations, and emotions. So who is he to forgive us? He can't possibly understand us. He lacks the empathy. How just of a judge could he be, then? He'd be more of a computer using a preconfigured decision tree to decide the ultimate fate of our eternal souls.

As an aside, I understand that the gnostic gospels and less edited manuscripts delve more into Jesus' human side a little bit. Those weren't relavent to the point however. Many of them also follow Seth's(third son of Adam) legacy a little more. Like Lilith he has a bit of a legend around him though I'm not familiar with it.

Whether much comes from this or not, I figured it might be a fun road of thought to explore a little.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like AdaMiSt's post
10-06-2012, 11:13 AM
RE: An interesting take on Jesus
Nice observation.

And...

Since God/Jesus is allegedly omniscient, It/He already knows what it is like to be a frail human, making that reason for the Incarnation moot.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
10-06-2012, 11:24 AM
You make some good observations and are really exercising your critical thinking. Unfortunately, most Christians would argue that Jesus knows what it's like because he lives in us and therefore knows our thoughts, desires, struggles, etc.
They would also argue that he lived a life of poverty, yet he was bestowed with great gifts at birth, and everywhere he went he was given food, and when he wasn't God gave it to him. So I agree in the fact that he never had to struggle. And how can you tempt Jesus with the physical world when he was part of the Godhead/trinity that made the damn thing?
Makes me laugh while the Picard in me facepalms. Good post.

And yet another interesting topic I am not interested in.
10-06-2012, 11:24 AM
"God works in mysterious ways." Big Grin

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
10-06-2012, 12:52 PM
So mysterious, we can't even tell if they're real!

I did think about the omniscience itself kind of negating the whole exercise to being with, but I figured I'd let the thought out there anyway. As for the claim that he's in us, in our hearts, well that sort of negates the purpose of his coming in this context as well, doesn't it?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-06-2012, 01:08 PM
That's the problem with us atheists, we always want the magic to make some sort of sense... Empirical thinking FTW Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
10-06-2012, 01:11 PM
As many have said, god already knows everything so does not have the ability to learn, simply incapable of learning anything new.

Gotta say,
If Jesus was human then the only thing for certain about life of a human is death.
The human Jesus was going die at some point. Whether it was from old age, heart attack, gonorrhea, asphyxiation whilst nailed to a cross, or whatever is beside the point, his death was no great sacrifice, the dude was going to die just as all humans die, what was so special about his death?
10-06-2012, 01:49 PM
I've thought about this before. It certainly strengthens the idea for me, of the inability and downright discouragement to take responsibility for one's own actions, which is perpetuated by Christianity specifically and belief in general.

As long as we're pondering irrelevant goofy shit ... I've frequently entertained the notion of Jesus as a Walk In. It's not a phenomenon isolated to the "Seth Speaks" followers... people have noticed it popping up in other lore throughout history.

I kind of revel in this shit... it's like discussing Star Trek.

Except Star Trek is ... well, real. Blink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post