An interesting thought, though not truly serious

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2010, 11:13 PM
An interesting thought, though not truly serious
First of all, I want to say that I was raised atheist, and have never been forced to read the bible. So, don't interpret this to be a real debate, because I have very limited knowledge of the bible and what it says.

However, I do know that god cast out Satan, along with a third of the angels, for conspiring against him. I also know that in the old testament, god isn't the nicest of fellows either. If you were working for a guy that liked to kill people, wouldn't you want to do something about it? And then, if you were the killer that had a mutinous first mate to deal with, wouldn't you try your hardest to make them seem like a pretty bad guy themselves?

Just a thought I had been kicking around for a while, thought it was a little funny. Again, do not take this as a serious claim, because I refuse to get in a bible fight with anyone.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2010, 11:43 PM

RE: An interesting thought, though not truly serious
(09-03-2010 11:13 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  First of all, I want to say that I was raised atheist, and have never been forced to read the bible. So, don't interpret this to be a real debate, because I have very limited knowledge of the bible and what it says.

However, I do know that god cast out Satan, along with a third of the angels, for conspiring against him. I also know that in the old testament, god isn't the nicest of fellows either. If you were working for a guy that liked to kill people, wouldn't you want to do something about it? And then, if you were the killer that had a mutinous first mate to deal with, wouldn't you try your hardest to make them seem like a pretty bad guy themselves?

Just a thought I had been kicking around for a while, thought it was a little funny. Again, do not take this as a serious claim, because I refuse to get in a bible fight with anyone.

I think the idea is that God did not enjoy killing people, and that he did not hate the people he killed or anything like that; it was simply that the punishment for their sins at the time was death. Then, when Jesus came around, he died on the cross so that we would not have to suffer further punishment from God via him killing people for their sins like he used to.

So no one thought they worked for someone that liked to kill people, thus them not wanting to change that.

That's pretty much what I learned in Sunday school, at any rate lol. I became an atheist (if that's the proper terminology) when I was 16, but was forced to go to church until I was 18.

As for the trying to make your mutinous first mate seem like a bad guy (even if he's more grey than black), that's an interesting point that I hadn't thought of before.
Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2010, 11:50 PM

Since you KNOW that God cast out satan, along with a third of the angels I would say that you are not an atheist, as God does not exist to an atheist. By any chance do you have any relatives that don't recycle? Never mind. You said that you KNOW that in the Old Testament, that was written by men about a non-existing God, that God was not the nicest of fellows. How can you use the Bible as proof that God did those things, isn't that circular reasoning? "unbeliever" any thoughts, or are you dangling by the rope I gave you earlier?
10-03-2010, 12:28 AM

(09-03-2010 11:50 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  Since you KNOW that God cast out satan, along with a third of the angels I would say that you are not an atheist, as God does not exist to an atheist. By any chance do you have any relatives that don't recycle? Never mind. You said that you KNOW that in the Old Testament, that was written by men about a non-existing God, that God was not the nicest of fellows. How can you use the Bible as proof that God did those things, isn't that circular reasoning? "unbeliever" any thoughts, or are you dangling by the rope I gave you earlier?

I feel like you're being a little picky with the OP's choice of wording here. I don't think they were implying that they know anything about what the Christian god did or didn't actually do; I think they were just saying their understanding of what is said to have happened, according to the Bible, is this.

This is only my first time on these forums, so if they have no clue what they're talking about and have some history of speaking as you were implying, then I apologize; just my thoughts on that Tongue.
10-03-2010, 06:53 AM
(09-03-2010 11:50 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  Since you KNOW that God cast out satan, along with a third of the angels I would say that you are not an atheist, as God does not exist to an atheist.

[Image: epic-facepalm-demotivational-poster-1258354986.jpg]

Quote:How can you use the Bible as proof that God did those things, isn't that circular reasoning? "unbeliever" any thoughts, or are you dangling by the rope I gave you earlier?

ashley.hunt was just musing on the implications of the Christian belief system. Would you think that, if she were speculating on Darth Vader's motivations for killing Palpatine, you would be asking this same question? No? Didn't think so.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-03-2010, 07:30 AM

(09-03-2010 11:50 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  Since you KNOW that God cast out satan, along with a third of the angels I would say that you are not an atheist, as God does not exist to an atheist. By any chance do you have any relatives that don't recycle? Never mind. You said that you KNOW that in the Old Testament, that was written by men about a non-existing God, that God was not the nicest of fellows. How can you use the Bible as proof that God did those things, isn't that circular reasoning? "unbeliever" any thoughts, or are you dangling by the rope I gave you earlier?

Who doesn't know that story? (I'll admit, I thought it was just Satan and not 1/3 of the angels as well) If an atheist reads the bible, but doesn't believe in anything the bible says, nor convinces them that god actually exists, do they remain an atheist? Of course they do. I'm reading the bible so I can argue points with people like you. One thing I have noted in my readings is that, although Satan is labeled as the evil doer of the world, god has more marks in the 'sin' column...so, who's the bad guy in this one?

As for your statement about 'circular reasoning', you have time and time again used the bible as your 'proof'...if anyone knows 'circular reasoning', it would be you, martin.

Finally, not that he needs help or defense, but stop attacking Unbeliever...it's getting spooky now. Confused
10-03-2010, 08:09 AM
Obsession seems to follow me. I have quite an entourage of theists who have gotten angry with me and tail me across four different sites. martinb59 is just the newest addition to the troupe.
And at least he hasn't devolved into the psychotic blithering of Shaun or the ellipse-ridden nonsense of Ken. Those two are seriously screwed up inna head. martin isn't bad, as far as obsessive guys go.

- Terry Pratchett
10-03-2010, 08:19 AM

(10-03-2010 08:09 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Obsession seems to follow me. I have quite an entourage of theists who have gotten angry with me and tail me across four different sites. martinb59 is just the newest addition to the troupe.
And at least he hasn't devolved into the psychotic blithering of Shaun or the ellipse-ridden nonsense of Ken. Those two are seriously screwed up inna head. martin isn't bad, as far as obsessive guys go.

You're being too kind Tongue
10-03-2010, 08:28 AM
No, really, I'm not. DrNeko knows exactly what I'm talking about. He was there for several of them.

Shaun Young Wrote:i never said the earth was closed. I said it was closed except for energy. Which is true. So fuck off dumbass.

O_o

- Terry Pratchett
10-03-2010, 09:35 AM

Yes... Unbeliever is a crazy magnet.. they become completely obsessed with him its creepy..

And Martin.... you are the King of Circular Logic on these forums as far as I can tell.

Shaun Youngs obsesssion really got creepy though... that Enthropy theory of his made me laugh outloud.