An intro thread because I'm bored

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
17-04-2012, 01:10 PM
RE: An intro thread because I'm bored
Hello and welcome!

I surely hope you won't be quiet. I'd love to hear your perspective on many a topic. If you could, I'd like to try and answer Logich's questions, but please correct me if I'm wrong!

(17-04-2012 06:18 AM)Logisch Wrote:  - Do muslims really believe we're free to believe what we want to believe? Or is it one of those things that you really feel we deserve eternal punishment or some other sort of punishment if we truly decide we are against what the book says?

As with most religious texts, the Quran does indeed say Islam is the one true faith and us non-believers should be converted. But then again as with all religions, there are the moderates and liberals believers who view faith as a personal choice and there are the conservatives who do feel us infidels should die if we don't convert. It's really the same as with liberal and conservative Christians.

(17-04-2012 06:18 AM)Logisch Wrote:  - What is this shariah law stuff? I've heard this is part of it? Or is this something only in specific countries? Or is this something only held to believers and not the nonbelievers? (this kind of goes back to my first question)

The best comparison I can think of to Sharia law is Levitical law. It's simply the mandates given by God on how to live and what punishment what crimes deserve. There are countries that have their Judicial law based on Sharia such as Saudi Arabia. As for if non-believers need to follow Sharia, that depends on the country. In the case of Malaysia, they have a dual Judicial system where Muslims are tried and sentenced based on Sharia, but non-believers are subject to secular law.

(17-04-2012 06:18 AM)Logisch Wrote:  - Do muslims believe there ever was a jesus? Or do they think he's made up? Or do they think he's made up but nothing more than someone carrying a message of some sort?

Muslims do believe that Jesus was a prophet of God but he was not the last, nor as important as the Christians believe.

(17-04-2012 06:18 AM)Logisch Wrote:  - Are there denominations of Muslims just as there are denominations of Christianity? Someone on here recently said there is now 35,000 (number struck me as insane) denominations of Christianity. Do muslims also have a similar thing going on? Or is it pretty much just one revision of the qu-ran? I'd assume there's probably not a mormon equivalent, in other words do you deal with the same thing that christians do in terms of people "changing the translations" of a book?

The only two denominations I know of are the Shiites and Sunnis. It's not that they had different interpretations of the Quran, but a dispute of who should become the next "Muslim Pope" per say. Shiites believe it should be a descendant of Muhammad while Sunnis believe he should be elected.

Here's hoping you come back and tell me how wrong I am Tongue

"The most valuable possession you can own is an open heart. The most powerful weapon you can be is an instrument of peace." -- Carlos Santana
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Zephony's post