An observation of evolution: cuteness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-10-2012, 10:06 AM
An observation of evolution: cuteness
(25-10-2012 10:01 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(25-10-2012 09:44 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Did you just call women "animals"?

Blink

Well that would be my preferred type... hot blooded, mammalian, often with claws.

Rawr!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
25-10-2012, 10:24 AM
RE: An observation of evolution: cuteness
(25-10-2012 09:39 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Proof you are wrong...

Asian girls are cuter than Western girls therefore, it is not closeness in evolutionary terms, it's closeness in proximity (familiarity).

(and no, Erx, it does not stop me eating them!)

Mmmm, Asian chicks. Drooling

Sorry, what was this about?

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 3 users Like Phaedrus's post
25-10-2012, 11:31 AM
(25-10-2012 09:32 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  It's so you won't eat them.

We atheists are soulless, and are thus immune to the cuteness of a human baby.

But hey, if God didn't want us to eat them, he wouldn't have made them so fucking delicious.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Misanthropik's post
25-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Vsauce explains it rather well. Smile

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
25-10-2012, 09:10 PM

Asian girls are cuter than Western girls therefore, it is not closeness in evolutionary terms, it's closeness in proximity (familiarity).

But how does that work when I'm partial to the odd Swed' when Sweden is pretty much the furthest country from the one I am currently a resident of?

I think your theory may require a bit of work there DLJ.

I read something a while back that offered a theory as to why babies are chubby. Because it makes them "cuter" and so the mother is more likely to look after it then simply reject it.
I'm sure this could be applied in reverse, that cute is a result of babies being chubby and so we find these things "cute" as a way that we don't simply reject them.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
25-10-2012, 10:22 PM
(25-10-2012 09:10 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  

But how does that work when I'm partial to the odd Swed' when Sweden is pretty much the furthest country from the one I am currently a resident of?

I think your theory may require a bit of work there DLJ.

I read something a while back that offered a theory as to why babies are chubby. Because it makes them "cuter" and so the mother is more likely to look after it then simply reject it.
I'm sure this could be applied in reverse, that cute is a result of babies being chubby and so we find these things "cute" as a way that we don't simply reject them.

I think Vos nailed it in his post's vid.

Seems reasonable to me.

Swedes are generally considered to be attractive and I agree but I'm not sure that "cute" is the right word.

Kiwi's, by contrast, are small, muddy brown in colour and slightly furry. When fully grown they are about 3 inches long and have a creamy flavour.

Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
26-10-2012, 05:13 AM
I think it varies between species. Most monkeys and apes are closer than other animals to us, yet I can't imagine people thinking the swolen ass of a baboon cute. Layout of the body seems to have a lot to do with it. Also it depends on the nature of the animal. Is it intelligent? If it is an animal that seems to have a desire to communicate with us, it is much more likely to be seen as cute. I think that birds are really cute, because they are really smart. I also think certain traits of dogs to be cute and certain others to be just nasty (shoe strings). You know, when they have drool actually hanging down like strings, I really hate that. The ability to show emotion also helps. I also find racoons cute, because it always seem they are more curious about us than just wanting to rip us to shreds. Birds especially just enjoy learning from us. I think we all know certain types of animals that we really can't communicate with and therefore we don't see them as cute.
26-10-2012, 05:52 AM
(26-10-2012 05:13 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  ... I can't imagine people thinking the swolen ass of a baboon cute...

Girly?

Your thoughts?

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
26-10-2012, 12:37 PM
(25-10-2012 10:22 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Kiwi's, by contrast, are small, muddy brown in colour and slightly furry. When fully grown they are about 3 inches long and have a creamy flavour.

There are kiwis--

[Image: Kiwi2.jpg]

and there are kiwis--

[Image: kiwi.jpg]

and there are kiwis.

[Image: Kiri-Te-Kanawa-Kiri-458393.jpg]

Take your pick. Big Grin

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
26-10-2012, 12:42 PM (This post was last modified: 26-10-2012 12:55 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(26-10-2012 12:37 PM)cufflink Wrote:  
(25-10-2012 10:22 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Kiwi's, by contrast, are small, muddy brown in colour and slightly furry. When fully grown they are about 3 inches long and have a creamy flavour.

There are kiwis--

[Image: Kiwi2.jpg]

and there are kiwis--

[Image: kiwi.jpg]

and there are kiwis.

[Image: Kiri-Te-Kanawa-Kiri-458393.jpg]

Take your pick. Big Grin

I'll take Kiri te Kanawa ANY day of the week. Ever hear her sing the Exulate Jubilate ? It may not be "cute", but it's damn glorious.
Anyway, if you want to "observe" cuteness, just look at KC's baby, or .... (no, I better not) . Also "cute ", is not "hot", necessarily. But can it be both ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Political skeptic .. if there is a bad reason something bad might have happened, you can bet your ass, that's why it happened.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post