An odd and specific question: Are there any working phlebotomists here?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-08-2016, 11:14 AM
An odd and specific question: Are there any working phlebotomists here?
One of my daughters just finished her 4th year of college and is about to start med school. She is considering getting her phlebotomy certification so she can work in the industry while in school, as there are apparently a lot of part-time, work-when-you-want-to phlebotomy openings. It isn't really about money, but I have some questions if anyone here has any insider knowledge!

Thanks guys!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-08-2016, 11:19 AM
RE: An odd and specific question: Are there any working phlebotomists here?
I use the services of one every couple of weeks but don't know them well enough to offer a chance of contact.

Never sure here, which side of the pond are you on, TDO?

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
21-08-2016, 11:51 AM
I worked for a company for over two years that was a mobile phlebotomy and X-ray company. I just left there actually.

The phlebs and techs usually went to nursing homes and rehab centers who didn't have their own on staff. We also had a lab in which to do the testing. The company is 24/7 and there were a lot of night/weekend/part time and STAT positions available.

The company that bought the one I started working for is out of Colorado and is buying up this type of business all over Texas as well as other states.

Short answer - yes, there are opportunities but I will warn that the compensation tends not to be real great.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
21-08-2016, 12:23 PM
(21-08-2016 11:19 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  I use the services of one every couple of weeks but don't know them well enough to offer a chance of contact.

Never sure here, which side of the pond are you on, TDO?

I'm on the side that contains the Great State of Texas, Glouc. Big Grin
21-08-2016, 12:28 PM (This post was last modified: 21-08-2016 12:31 PM by The Dark One.)
(21-08-2016 11:51 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I worked for a company for over two years that was a mobile phlebotomy and X-ray company. I just left there actually.

The phlebs and techs usually went to nursing homes and rehab centers who didn't have their own on staff. We also had a lab in which to do the testing. The company is 24/7 and there were a lot of night/weekend/part time and STAT positions available.

The company that bought the one I started working for is out of Colorado and is buying up this type of business all over Texas as well as other states.

Short answer - yes, there are opportunities but I will warn that the compensation tends not to be real great.

Hmm...I had a feeling most of the stuff she was reading was propaganda. I was an EMT-A /special skills back in the late 80's, and the medical field was an entirely different animal...I don't even recognize the way they hire now. I was reading where people wanting to go into medical equipment maintenance and design were even pointed towards an EMT-B first. Odd.

My daughter is seeing things like " $21/hr day shift, $29/hr night shift, min req Certified Phlebotomist" Is this a scam of some sort, do you think?

EDIT: That company you mention wouldn't be LabCorp, would it?
21-08-2016, 02:04 PM
(21-08-2016 12:28 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  
(21-08-2016 11:51 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I worked for a company for over two years that was a mobile phlebotomy and X-ray company. I just left there actually.

Hmm...I had a feeling most of the stuff she was reading was propaganda. I was an EMT-A /special skills back in the late 80's, and the medical field was an entirely different animal...I don't even recognize the way they hire now. I was reading where people wanting to go into medical equipment maintenance and design were even pointed towards an EMT-B first. Odd.

My daughter is seeing things like " $21/hr day shift, $29/hr night shift, min req Certified Phlebotomist" Is this a scam of some sort, do you think?

That could be legit. Some make more out here, especially in the big hospitals.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
21-08-2016, 02:16 PM (This post was last modified: 21-08-2016 02:20 PM by Anjele.)
(21-08-2016 12:28 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  

No, a competitor that is moving it's way into Texas and other states.

We had a sizable staff of phlebs. As I mentioned, they mostly serviced nursing homes and rehab facilities but also some hospitals. Along with drawing blood, they also picked up urine samples and stool specimens to bring back to the lab for testing.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
21-08-2016, 03:09 PM
It's a struggle to draw blood from me. My veins aren't cooperative though I try to do what I can to help. I have gotten over the apprehension and I make sure I drink a lot of fluids prior if I know it's coming.

Typically I end up with them stabbing me a few times and then finally going into my hand with a butterfly...which always leaves a bruise.

I have come across people who can't find a vein on me or who cause them to collapse more times than I can count. When I was going to UT Southwestern to see my oncologist, I came upon some of the best phlebs ever! I think in all the months I went there one person had to stick me twice.

Where I worked the phleb supervisor missed three times in a row one day. Angry One of the other phlebs got me on the first stick.

I swear there's an art to it. And those who can do it make me happy. Wink

21-08-2016, 07:52 PM
(21-08-2016 03:09 PM)Anjele Wrote:  It's a struggle to draw blood from me. My veins aren't cooperative though I try to do what I can to help. I have gotten over the apprehension and I make sure I drink a lot of fluids prior if I know it's coming.

Typically I end up with them stabbing me a few times and then finally going into my hand with a butterfly...which always leaves a bruise.

I have come across people who can't find a vein on me or who cause them to collapse more times than I can count. When I was going to UT Southwestern to see my oncologist, I came upon some of the best phlebs ever! I think in all the months I went there one person had to stick me twice.

Where I worked the phleb supervisor missed three times in a row one day. Angry One of the other phlebs got me on the first stick.

When I was hospitalized there was this lady going around in the middle of the night collecting blood. She looked like she was a meth addict or something, almost spooky. She managed several times to get my blood without even waking me up. That woman was really good at it. It's not like I slept very deep at the hospital. I'm thinking maybe she was a recovering addict and had lots of practice on herself...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
21-08-2016, 08:03 PM
(21-08-2016 07:52 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(21-08-2016 03:09 PM)Anjele Wrote:  It's a struggle to draw blood from me. My veins aren't cooperative though I try to do what I can to help. I have gotten over the apprehension and I make sure I drink a lot of fluids prior if I know it's coming.

When I was hospitalized there was this lady going around in the middle of the night collecting blood. She looked like she was a meth addict or something, almost spooky. She managed several times to get my blood without even waking me up. That woman was really good at it. It's not like I slept very deep at the hospital. I'm thinking maybe she was a recovering addict and had lots of practice on herself...

One of our former phleb leads began her career in a drug rehab center. Because some of the patients had trashed their veins she said she often had to ask them where they were last able to hit themselves. She said she had drawn blood from areas that she hadn't learned about in school.

**There were/are a few on staff that are kind of scary...but were apparently good at what they did.