An older deconverted Catholic convert to Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2015, 01:13 PM
An older deconverted Catholic convert to Atheism
Angel Since this is the first forum I've deigned to join after 25 years on the internet or quaintly the World Wide Web, I decided to use this opportunity to announce my joining to the ranks of Atheism in practice but Agnostic by definition. At age 64 my diaconate studies of scripture(Deacon student) did for me what Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens didn't do: convince me that the Bible, Yahweh, and Jesus Christ were mythical stories conveying Bronze age understandings of men who were unable to come up with anything better. Perhaps they should have asked their mothers, lovers, and wives. The Bronze Age women certainly didn't write or proclaim the Biblical hooey! Now I pursue more knowledge based on my newly acquired reason with all the fervor of the convert. Only now the knowledge I seek is truly palpable. Facts, not fable, science not religiosity, and learning to admit that knowledge through reason is constantly correcting and editing itself. We don't have all the answers but we'll die trying to learn them. This is a life truly worth living without the false hope of fulfillment in the next.

Now, at age 66 in June, I feel reborn and excited as never before and seek brother and sisterhood with like minds in my Sonoma County neighborhood. I want to thank Seth Andrews for being an important part of my deconversion as his book "Deconverted" is one of my many new "sacred" texts. I had the honor of meeting him in San Francisco last Saturday. Seth signed my copy of his first book, shook my hand, and gave his presentation with great humility and good humor despite his terrible experience of breaking and entering his rented car and the loss of his laptop and presentation material. Continued success, Seth, with your new "Sacred Cows" piece being released next month.

I look forward to being a regular contributor and reader of this forum. May Blessings of the Universe and Multiverse abound.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like czorko's post
26-05-2015, 03:03 PM
RE: An older deconverted Catholic convert to Atheism
Welcome!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
26-05-2015, 03:04 PM
Welcome!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
26-05-2015, 03:05 PM
Welcome aboard!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
26-05-2015, 03:15 PM
Welcome!
26-05-2015, 03:27 PM
Welcome....

And say hey to Sonoma Co for me....

Went to Radioman school in Two Rock.....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
26-05-2015, 03:43 PM
You're just a couple of months older than me.

Welcome to the Old Fart's Club.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
26-05-2015, 04:53 PM
Welcome aboard! Big Grin

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too"? - Douglas Adams Bechased
27-05-2015, 01:24 PM
Welcome to TTA. Jump right in.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-05-2015, 01:28 PM
Welcome.