Analogy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-06-2013, 10:15 PM
Analogy
I was hanging out with my father today when he started asking me about the purpose of my major. I told him anthropology literally means the "study of man," and that I was focusing on the biological aspect. This is when he timidly asked me--and this is unusual since he is a very cocky retired police sergeant--if it had anything to do with evolution. My dad is somewhat religious, so I figured my answer might lead into a discussion on why it isn't true. I told him that it indeed dealt with evolution and lots of anatomy. Then, even more timidly, he asked if my classes covered the religious objections to evolution. I told him that it was covered very briefly because the focus of the classes is on the science itself. Then I gave him this analogy:

"Giving equal time to religious objections to evolution in a science class would be like giving equal time to Amish objections to cars in an automotive class. It's not going to help the mechanic learn how to fix an engine."

It's not the best analogy, but I think it got my point across because he didn't ask me anymore about it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like ghostexorcist's post
19-06-2013, 10:26 PM
RE: Analogy
(19-06-2013 10:15 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I was hanging out with my father today when he started asking me about the purpose of my major. I told him anthropology literally means the "study of man," and that I was focusing on the biological aspect. This is when he timidly asked me--and this is unusual since he is a very cocky retired police sergeant--if it had anything to do with evolution. My dad is somewhat religious, so I figured my answer might lead into a discussion on why it isn't true. I told him that it indeed dealt with evolution and lots of anatomy. Then, even more timidly, he asked if my classes covered the religious objections to evolution. I told him that it was covered very briefly because the focus of the classes is on the science itself. Then I gave him this analogy:

"Giving equal time to religious objections to evolution in a science class would be like giving equal time to Amish objections to cars in an automotive class. It's not going to help the mechanic learn how to fix an engine."

It's not the best analogy, but I think it got my point across because he didn't ask me anymore about it.

The analogy is funny taken out of context but my question to you is how do you think your father took this comment? As insulting? A put down? I don't know what kind of realtionship you two have and how open he is to your differentiating point of view. It is a fine line we must walk with our religious parents between respecting and accepting.

I walk that line often so I can sympathize.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
19-06-2013, 10:27 PM
Damn. I thought you were gonna say he asked you if "anal-ogy" was the study of butts. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
19-06-2013, 10:39 PM
(19-06-2013 10:27 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Damn. I thought you were gonna say he asked you if "anal-ogy" was the study of butts. Tongue

Yes, the study of Sofia Vergara's backside...

[Image: sofia-vergara10.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
19-06-2013, 10:44 PM (This post was last modified: 19-06-2013 11:03 PM by ghostexorcist.)
(19-06-2013 10:26 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  The analogy is funny taken out of context but my question to you is how do you think your father took this comment? As insulting? A put down? I don't know what kind of realtionship you two have and how open he is to your differentiating point of view. It is a fine line we must walk with our religious parents between respecting and accepting.

We are not very close and I rarely see him. I wasn't trying to be rude. I just wanted to point out that people object to a lot of stuff, but it shouldn't get equal time if that is not the subject of study.
19-06-2013, 10:47 PM
(19-06-2013 10:15 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I was hanging out with my father today when he started asking me about the purpose of my major. I told him anthropology literally means the "study of man," and that I was focusing on the biological aspect. This is when he timidly asked me--and this is unusual since he is a very cocky retired police sergeant--if it had anything to do with evolution. My dad is somewhat religious, so I figured my answer might lead into a discussion on why it isn't true. I told him that it indeed dealt with evolution and lots of anatomy. Then, even more timidly, he asked if my classes covered the religious objections to evolution. I told him that it was covered very briefly because the focus of the classes is on the science itself. Then I gave him this analogy:

I liked it!

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

20-06-2013, 07:17 AM
(19-06-2013 10:44 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(19-06-2013 10:26 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  The analogy is funny taken out of context but my question to you is how do you think your father took this comment? As insulting? A put down? I don't know what kind of realtionship you two have and how open he is to your differentiating point of view. It is a fine line we must walk with our religious parents between respecting and accepting.

We are not very close and I rarely see him. I wasn't trying to be rude. I just wanted to point out that people object to a lot of stuff, but it shouldn't get equal time if that is not the subject of study.

In that case you hit the nail on the head, like I said earlier the analogy is really funny. Got any more of those?

This is the best I can do on the spur of the moment...

"Giving equal time to religious objections to evolution in a science class would be like giving equal time to Babtist objections to dancing in a Salsa class."

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
20-06-2013, 08:07 AM
(19-06-2013 10:15 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  .......the focus of the classes is on the science itself. Then I gave him this analogy:

copying this to the words I want to remember post.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
20-06-2013, 08:25 AM

I would have went straight off. Big Grin

I woulda went more along the lines of "yabut, sane people don't let lunatics define policy." Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
21-06-2013, 10:39 AM
(20-06-2013 07:17 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  In that case you hit the nail on the head, like I said earlier the analogy is really funny. Got any more of those?

The only one I can think of is this:

"Never use your tongue to stop a fan."

It has nothing to do with evolution, it's just a solid piece of advise. I'm sure I just saved many people from nasty injuries just by posting this. You're welcome.