Analyze a Theist/Catholic

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2012, 12:04 PM
RE: Analyze a Theist/Catholic
That KC is a fuckin' loon. I hope he doesn't come on this thread and see that I think that about him!

Oh, and it looks like you can remove "Catholic" from the thread title. Tongue

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
06-02-2012, 12:05 PM
(06-02-2012 12:04 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  That KC is a fuckin' loon. I hope he doesn't come on this thread and see that I think that about him!

Oh, and it looks like you can remove "Catholic" from the thread title. Tongue

[Image: im-your-huckleberry-swatch.jpg]

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 4 users Like kingschosen's post
06-02-2012, 12:07 PM
(06-02-2012 12:05 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  [Image: im-your-huckleberry-swatch.jpg]

I need this as a shirt. Smile

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
06-02-2012, 12:21 PM
What I have gained from speaking with them? As Christopher Hitchens once said " You never know what they are going to say next."

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
[+] 2 users Like NotSoVacuous's post
06-02-2012, 12:33 PM
(06-02-2012 12:04 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Oh, and it looks like you can remove "Catholic" from the thread title. Tongue

Thanks for cluing me in Erx, I didn't see his note until you mentioned it. It makes me wonder - do you think that believers who hang around an atheist forum are already flirting with the idea of becoming an atheist? Unless I missed something, it seems to have happened very suddenly for Nagoda. Was there already some doubt in his mind? What does motivate the believer to come here?
06-02-2012, 12:42 PM
(06-02-2012 12:33 PM)Jeff Wrote:  
(06-02-2012 12:04 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Oh, and it looks like you can remove "Catholic" from the thread title. Tongue

Thanks for cluing me in Erx, I didn't see his note until you mentioned it. It makes me wonder - do you think that believers who hang around an atheist forum are already flirting with the idea of becoming an atheist? Unless I missed something, it seems to have happened very suddenly for Nagoda. Was there already some doubt in his mind? What does motivate the believer to come here?

When our young friend Nagoda joined us in December, he said:

Quote:Everything I believe in could be wrong.

http://thethinkingatheist.com/forum/Thre...joined-you

Since he joined us as a Free-thinker, his thinking brought him out of darkness and into the light!

What motivates theists to be here? I don't think there could be one answer and probably every individual is different. I'd venture to say Nagoda was trying to be intellectually honest and see if he could hold his beliefs when confronted with evidence against his beliefs. I'd guess KC is here, not to convert, but in a genuine attempt to be friends with people who are different whilst sharpening his beliefs and debating skills. It's a little less Free-thinking than Nagoda when your goal is to strengthen your beliefs rather than see if what you believe is true, but still not a ignoble reason for being here. Then you have the Ego R's who are here to be offensively on the offense in their fight against the Devil and his baby-eating brethren in the atheist world. I'm sure others have other reasons. I'm not too sure of Sharks or Tarzan as to what they get out of visiting our forum, but they seem mostly harmless, I think.

~Izel
[+] 5 users Like Erxomai's post
06-02-2012, 01:04 PM
(06-02-2012 12:42 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  What motivates theists to be here?

I post on theist forums because I don't enjoy playing devil's advocate (which is usually the role I take on this forum). Theists rarely get challenged on their beliefs, even in this day and age of "militant atheism", because people don't enjoy being called names or being put down, which is almost guaranteed to happen when you're the contrarian in a forum. I don't expect to convert anyone, but it would be nice if I could plant doubt in their minds and at least make them "agnostic" theists (or "open-minded"). And although it rarely happens, I enjoy a good debate about religion with a rational opponent who doesn't resort to fallacious arguments or Arguments From Authority in Which They Are The Authority Just Because They Are Not Atheist. You'd be surprised how often that happens ("you don't understand the bible because you're an unbeliever").

So to sum it up, I like to debate but I hate fighting people that I agree with. The only way to be sure you'll find an opponent is to wander into an enemy camp.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Starcrash's post
08-02-2012, 08:44 PM
(06-02-2012 01:04 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(06-02-2012 12:42 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  What motivates theists to be here?

And although it rarely happens, I enjoy a good debate about religion with a rational opponent who doesn't resort to fallacious arguments or Arguments From Authority in Which They Are The Authority Just Because They Are Not Atheist. You'd be surprised how often that happens ("you don't understand the bible because you're an unbeliever").

Credo ut intelligam. Intellego ut credam. Big Grin

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-02-2012, 04:42 AM
I'm here mostly because I like arguing. Also I think it is very important to be stumped every once and a while as it means you now have to go do some more research and therefore become more knowledgeable. Finding out you don't know something, especially in religion, can really strengthen ones faith (or destroy it)

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
[+] 1 user Likes TarzanSmith's post
11-02-2012, 04:58 AM
(04-02-2012 09:32 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  The TV show The Atheist Experience always makes a point of asking each caller what they personally believe, because no one ever represents their religion. I have a Catholic uncle who was arguing about why "Catholics don't support abortion", and I directed him here. I likewise try not to represent "the Atheist view" on any subject, because there's a wide variety of opinion among atheists on any subject.

So I don't believe these threads are entirely useful. The particular theist answering questions can only give us his own personal view on each question. Aren't the people asking questions looking for an answer that represents more than a single person's opinion?

I would disagree. Most of these single persons opinions were never original perspectives. They aren't forming a personal understanding and deep study of the Bible. I see every fundamentalist argument as one that I was taught to regurgitate. The perspective's these people provide tend to be the combination of their parents and various religious leaders. When you think about how much exposure the parents and leaders have had to others and their ability to use others ideas, well you get a pretty solid picture. Remember, most theists are regurgitaters of their religion based on what they are taught, not on what they study.

P@rTy R0Ck!
[+] 1 user Likes theKaktusKoolerKid's post