Anarchists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2011, 05:12 PM

Anarchists
Are there any other fellow anarchists out there?

Toodles,
Kane
Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2011, 05:53 PM
RE: Anarchists
I was. Until I got tired of constantly explaining that anarchism isn't the same as rampant chaos.

People hear you're an anarchist and assume you advocate rioting and destruction.

So now I just tell people I'm a Libertarian.... and they still don't know what I'm saying. Stupid two party system.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2011, 05:56 PM

BC,

I don't understand: so you are no longer an anarchist because other people don't understand the position? Can you explain this to me, please?
08-02-2011, 06:35 PM
No, that was just a joke. Though I am Libertarian and anti-government, I also attended college through GI Bill funds and was paid monthly by the government for housing expenses throughout my college years. So it's hard to maintain a pure anarchist ideology when I owe my education, my military training, and where I am in life to the government itself. Therefore I've had to downgrade from absolute anarchism to a sort of anarcho-Libertarianism. Minimal government with emphasis on individual liberties.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
08-02-2011, 06:39 PM
What is this anti-government trend in the US - what the heck is up with you guys ?

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
08-02-2011, 06:55 PM
The real question is: what's up with this pro-government trend in the rest of the world?

Why let other people govern your life?

As far as the US, I belief it's the spirit of how it was founded. It saturates all of our treasured documents. We fought against the British government and branded all our subsequent declarations with such attitudes as:

"The fabric of the American empire ought to rest on the solid basis of THE CONSENT OF THE PEOPLE. The streams of national power ought to flow from that pure, original fountain of all legitimate authority."

"...when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government"

"All power is inherent in the people, and all free governments are founded on their authority and instituted for their peace, safety and happiness. For the advancement of these ends they have at all times an inalienable and indefeasible right to alter, reform or abolish their government in such manner as they may think proper."

So every new invasive action by our government provokes a response from most Americans.

08-02-2011, 07:29 PM
Buddy Christ hit the nail on the head. That is indeed how most Americans - myself included - view government. In fact, it's how our original government viewed government.

For proof, all you need to do is read the Declaration of Independence:

Quote:We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.

It's kind of interesting to think about. The American government was founded on principles expressly meant to limit its ability to influence the lives of its people. The Bill of Rights also guarantees that the rights not expressly enumerated in the Constitution belong to the people. It's a fundamental part of American thinking that the government should not be allowed to interfere any more in your life than absolutely necessary.

That's what libertarianism is all about. Unfortunately, America has spent centuries acting under a two-party system, so most Americans can't tell the difference between libertarianism and Republicanism. So libertarianism gets a lot of bad press, because Republicanism is not exactly the best political ideology.

I'm not an anarchist, but I am a libertarian.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
08-02-2011, 07:56 PM
Unfortunately about 20 years ago our government put a giant "For Sale" sign on the front lawn and sold us all out to corporate and banking interests. Now we have average tax payers actually arguing that the very bastards who are screwing us are being too constrained by regulations. I don't deny that regulations can strangle business or that government interference is capable of doing more harm then good, irrespective of intent. But, the idea that but for the government interference we would have some kind of "free market" economy when we are overwhelmed by an anti-free market of corporate capitalism where risk is completely and totally separated from reward is simply and totally absurd.

So, in summary, we're screwed. And, to you younger guys who live in the US and are just starting out, I offer my apologies. The Baby Boomers sold you out and my generation just hopped onto the gravy train. We've left you one ugly mess to deal with.

Best of luck with that. And, don't forget to take care of me in my retirement!

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
08-02-2011, 09:54 PM
(08-02-2011 05:53 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  I was. Until I got tired of constantly explaining that anarchism isn't the same as rampant chaos.

People hear you're an anarchist and assume you advocate rioting and destruction.

So now I just tell people I'm a Libertarian.... and they still don't know what I'm saying. Stupid two party system.
For the sake of my ignorance (I've been curious about the anarchist platform for a few years) can you describe what exactly the platform is?
(08-02-2011 07:56 PM)BnW Wrote:  Unfortunately about 20 years ago our government put a giant "For Sale" sign on the front lawn and sold us all out to corporate and banking interests. Now we have average tax payers actually arguing that the very bastards who are screwing us are being too constrained by regulations. I don't deny that regulations can strangle business or that government interference is capable of doing more harm then good, irrespective of intent. But, the idea that but for the government interference we would have some kind of "free market" economy when we are overwhelmed by an anti-free market of corporate capitalism where risk is completely and totally separated from reward is simply and totally absurd.

So, in summary, we're screwed. And, to you younger guys who live in the US and are just starting out, I offer my apologies. The Baby Boomers sold you out and my generation just hopped onto the gravy train. We've left you one ugly mess to deal with.

Best of luck with that. And, don't forget to take care of me in my retirement!
Problem is, starting with the baby boomers, parents got more and more lax in teaching responsibility to their children. Good luck getting the kids younger than me to go to work to take care of you in your retirement...
Smile

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
09-02-2011, 01:23 AM

Quote:For the sake of my ignorance (I've been curious about the anarchist platform for a few years) can you describe what exactly the platform is?

The premise is really rather simple: people should be free to govern themselves.

The assumption of benign systems such as democracy is that people are fit to choose their rulers because they are capable enough (wise, informed, and kind) to discern who would best represent their interests.

But what's curious to me--and Buddy Christ hit on this when he mentioned that anarchy does not imply chaos--is that once people mention anarchy, the automatic assumption becomes people are degraded, brutish, and far too stupid to exist without governance. Thus it is necessary to rule people.

The contradiction is obvious: people are considered fit to choose rulers unless they don't want to be ruled; then they're unfit animals that need to be ruled.

I prefer the anarchic model that assumes the general goodness and skillfulness of people to lead their own lives. Any enforcement of rules over against a person's opportunity to be sovereign in their own life is, essentially, violence. Thus the anarchist, at his root, is a peaceful person.