Anarchists, Guns, and 3D Printing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-05-2013, 12:48 AM
RE: Anarchists, Guns, and 3D Printing
(04-05-2013 12:44 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  So let's compare our new 3D printed, single use gun with homemade black powder ammunition, and the range and accuracu of a ping pong ball out of a paper towel roll...

To an actually useful weapon like a half brick in a sock.

See how many fucks I give about your 3D gun.

Time will tell....

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2013, 12:44 PM
(03-05-2013 09:54 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  The person who made this documentary has no idea what they're talking about... One guy prints an AR-15 lower, then puts on a commercial upper, installs a commercial trigger package, puts on a commercial collapsible stock, and all the sudden OMG PEOPLE CAN PRINT GUNS. Or, not. All he's got is an AR-15 with no serial number, which you could get anyway by filing off the serial number on a real AR-15... Nothing really new has happened.

Sure it did.

Every other part is just a hunk of metal orderable thru the mail. The lower is the gun as in its the only part that cant be sent direct to your door. Gun shops sell stripped lowers all the time, and do transfer from other shops.
04-05-2013, 02:23 PM
(04-05-2013 12:35 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  
(04-05-2013 12:10 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  You'd never get a gun through a metal detector. Even if he gun could pass (it won't as the barrel and bolt are made of steel) the ammunition would show up like a sore thumb. That's all hyped bullshit made up about Glock polymer pistols.

If your thinking in terms of single use you can do away with the metal parts.

The barrel, etc, can be designed to fail in a controlled way such that you get off at least one shot.

The ammo could be crafted out of anything. Gunpowder isn't hard to make or get. Depends on the range you need.

You could use premade ammo, it's allot easier to sneak in couple rounds of ammo vs an entire gun. Maybe use steel toe boots and hide a couple rounds in there.

And pray that 1) it actually discharges on command and 2) upon discharge, it doesn't result in a breech explosion.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
04-05-2013, 03:09 PM
(04-05-2013 12:44 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  To an actually useful weapon like a half brick in a sock.

Batteries. D Cells. Thumbsup

Nah, man. It's a glimpse of the future. When I spin down to the store, pick up a three d unit for what I pay for a standard unit now. And the kids go...

Ray gun. Big Grin

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-11-2013, 05:25 AM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2013 05:34 AM by DeepThought.)
I did say time will tell...

http://phys.org/news/2013-11-solid-conce....html#nwlt

Solid Concepts - Gun Q&A

Now you can all lynch me for necroposting!

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
13-11-2013, 12:33 PM
Since you can get a gun at wal-mart and on craig's list (probably i haven't checked), so what? Personally, I'd rather have the non-3d printed model.

This isn't really about access since felons (the people who are banned from owning firearms) aren't supposed to have guns anyway but already have quite easy access to them. I just don't see the big issue with these things other than a government that is inflexible and unprepared to meet advances in technology with anything other than banning.

All we have to do is look to Star Trek and the replicators, they oidn't have any problems did they? ;-)
14-11-2013, 02:27 AM
Great video. It's really cool that they can make gun parts (and eventually a whole gun) with a 3d printer.
I've never thought about the effects of 3d printing before but that was a real eye opener.

It's sort of scary though in the sense that I could print off my own assault rifle in my bedroom.
I mean if you go to a hunting and fishing store (closest thing we have to a gun store around here) the only guns for sale are hunting rifles and you need a license which is a bit of a hassle. Handguns are particularly complicated to get. But AR's? Semi-auto's? What AR's and semi-auto's?? Yet with a 3d printer the only problem would be finding ammo.
It'll certainly effect the rest of the world a lot more than the US I think. I mean in the US everyone owns a gun, you guys have a gun culture. But places like New Zealand? Our Police officers don't even carry guns. Hell, there was a huge controversy when they were given tazers 2 years back... We're not a gun society at all.

I suppose part of that though is that because printing a mini-gun could be possible I worry that 3d printers themselves would be restricted which would be an absolute shame (because I really want to print myself an assault rifle now) and would harm those that would do amazing things with this new technology. I think restricting 3d printers would be an extreme case though and very likely wouldn't happen. Still...

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
15-11-2013, 06:52 PM
Can someone tell me,...How is 3D printing different the machining or CNC Machining?...I saw a demonstration of 3D printing on Newegg You Tube site, on a quick view, it looked like machining to me. I fail to see the newness of this as a concept. I see this as the machine tool and die shop coming to your home pc.
15-11-2013, 07:08 PM
Because 3d printing could become extremely wide spread.
I can't get some big ass metal cutting machine in my bedroom, but I could very well have a 3d printer.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
15-11-2013, 07:12 PM
(15-11-2013 06:52 PM)shallwechat71 Wrote:  Can someone tell me,...How is 3D printing different the machining or CNC Machining?...I saw a demonstration of 3D printing on Newegg You Tube site, on a quick view, it looked like machining to me. I fail to see the newness of this as a concept. I see this as the machine tool and die shop coming to your home pc.

Yeah, I'm thinking you answered your own question there.

(15-11-2013 06:52 PM)shallwechat71 Wrote:  I see this as the machine tool and die shop coming to your home pc.

Wink

... this is my signature!