Ancient Aliens!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2013, 09:36 PM
RE: Ancient Aliens!
It is very fitting that the History channel would also show "The Bible". I see ancient aliens as exploitation of those who were never taught how to analyze information critically. Its hugely morally flawed.

My intro- more about me: My story
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Critical Minded's post
30-03-2013, 09:31 AM
(29-03-2013 09:36 PM)Critical Minded Wrote:  It is very fitting that the History channel would also show "The Bible". I see ancient aliens as exploitation of those who were never taught how to analyze information critically. Its hugely morally flawed.

It just greed. Guy writes a book to make money makes fantastical claims that sound truthy to people that don't know the real science. When even a passing glance at his "evidence" causes it to fall apart like a house of cards. Neither of the 2 "experts" that apear on that show care weither or not they are credible they are just looking to cash in on gulible people. As far as the "History" channel I miss the old one before every show was reality tv when they would do long documentaries about WW2.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
02-04-2013, 11:21 PM
I hate this show with a passion... This is actually a topic I take quite seriously. If people from another planet are observing/researching us then that is quite amazing! Don't you think? This show just handles the topic in a bad light, focusing on entertainment over information.

If you want some serious videos on the subject, here are a few good ones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irnwumi8MaM -Touched, Dr. John Mack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_UoZ-n0xfc -Travis Walton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VOWvg-OyWA -National Press Club disclosure 2010

If God exists I hope he has a good excuse -Woody Allen
03-04-2013, 07:31 AM
(27-03-2013 06:33 PM)Adenosis Wrote:  My Aunt thinks this shit is legit apparently, she and I have been going back and forth a bit for awhile. She thinks aliens seeded the earth with life, doesn't believe or understand evolution at all, so naturally she thinks the aliens are behind all the different kinds. Basically were experiments. For more background on this situation check out my older thread - http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ens-did-it

Give me your take on this series, and if you want to facepalm every couple minutes through one of the episodes, watch this one.
http://www.allshowsdaily.com/2013/01/anc...ode-5.html

One of my favourite quotes is "Anyone with unique skills may not be completely human" (something like that). I was just like... Epic facepalm. What in the hell is with twisting the life of a genius to give credit for his work to a field of knowledge that he tapped into. They say his thought experiments may have let him tap into this realm in some sense of a transe.

I actually got rather annoyed and stopped in the last ten minutes of the episode. There is variation in the population, this is always the case, why the fuck do people need to ascribe extraterrestial or magic woo to the individuals high above average?

Any way, sorry for the rant. Just annoyed with ignorance.

I think the History Channel should not have been allowed to air these programmes as they will no doubt convince people aliens did come to Earth and do crazy stuff, when in reality this is not true. People might also think it is credible as it is being shown on the History Channel.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoroeau

Please check out my YouTube channel! Thumbsup http://www.youtube.com/user/1ScottUK
03-04-2013, 11:39 AM
They've got a lot nerve calling it the History Channel any more. I remember when you could actually learn something on The Learning Channel. Of course no one really knows what TLC actually used to stand for any more. I predict a change to THC soon. (Actually, someone is probably working on the THC channel already. Now THAT might be good television!)

Airing this show is a lot like having a friend who's opinions you have respect for. Then one day he starts explaining Chemtrails to you and you begin to look at everything he has ever said to you in a new light.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
[+] 4 users Like Heathen's post
17-07-2013, 07:44 AM (This post was last modified: 17-07-2013 10:36 PM by jinun.)
I have watched Ancient Aliens and the History Channel should be ashamed of promoting such rubbish. It's pseudoscience, pseudoarchaeology, and pseudohistory wrapped in a big blanket of stupid.

Recently a Facebook friend promoted a video from Paul Hellyer, former Canadian Minister of Defense (in the 1960s), who said there are aliens living amongst us and working with the US Government. I pointed out that Paul Hellyer recently began believing in aliens in 2005 after watching a UFO Special and reading a book "The Day After Roswell". That he never claims to have inside knowledge, no confidential government information....he read a book and talked to UFO "experts" and then accused George W. Bush of plotting an "Intergalactic War".

Later in the conversation this friend stated that he did not believe we evolved from "monkeys" but that he believes we came from aliens. To which I pointed out that we didn't come from monkeys as we're more closely related to apes and we didn't come from them either, we came from a common ancestor. But I digress. Anyway, he starts spouting off all this stuff about there being a "very large group" of scientists that believe that modern humans are way older than mainstream scientists lead us to believe and that modern human bones have been found alongside ape-like bones and even dinosaur bones!

I actually had to pick my jaw off the floor. This is someone who, a few years ago, was all about science and now...

So he tells me to read Forbidden History, by J. Douglas Kenyon. His books are a romp in the world of pseudo science. It's presented as scientific fact, with no valid scientific method and containing very little evidence. That particular book contains essays that appeared in the Atlantis Rising Journal...a magazine dedicated to everything the pseudo-scientific, from Atlantis to Extraterrestrials to Alternative Science.

So this friend disappears off Facebook for the rest of the day and a fellow ancient astronaut believer took up the reins and told me to watch Ancient Aliens. I said the show bases everything on assumptions and guesses, twisting everything into "evidence" to support their claim with very little scientific evidence to back it up. And that the mere fact that they turn to Erich von Daniken and Giorgio Tsoukalos as their "experts" is reason enough to question its credibility.

She proceeds to post pictures of Quimbaya artifacts (also called Tolima "Planes" on Ancient Aliens) and a picture of the Val Camonica petroglyph that people claim are two aliens in spacesuits. I explain that the artifacts are zoomorphic and like the rest of the artifacts, they are thought to be birds or insects, or possibly fish. And that it is not supposed to be an accurate representation of whatever object they were making. And that the petroglyph could be depicting two people wearing headdress, crown or could be rays of light rather than a space helmet.

So she argues that if the artifacts are not planes, why were larger scale models aerodynamic for flight. (As if planes are the only thing that is aerodynamic, not birds and insects.) And then asks about the hieroglyphs of the planes and helicopter in Abydos. I pointed out that Belting and Lubbers had to modify the wings of their scale model in order to get it to fly, they also left off some of the intricate features and added a propeller. And scientists point out almost any object which does not weigh much and has appropriate wing-like structures can keep itself in the air. Also that Pre-Columbian artifacts were very ornamental. They found hundreds of these artifacts, most have been identified as animals, fish and insects. But even when there were several depicting one particular animal, there were huge variations...often with features not found in nature and not at all realistic.

As for the helicopter hieroglyph that is carved in the Temple of Seti...I explained that they've been retouched. It is a palimpsest. When one Pharoah died and another took his place, hieroglyphs were often plastered over and recarved because Pharoahs often liked to rewrite history, often stealing credit for previous Pharoah's work. In this case Ramesses II changed Seti I's hieroglyphs.

That's where the conversation ended last night. Still waiting for a reply from either of them.

But it looks like some people watch Ancient Aliens and view it as more than entertainment...they REALLY buy into the whole thing. And talking to them is as frustrating as talking to a theist. They have their mind made up and despite the fact that there is plenty of evidence to debunk many of the ancient astronaut theories...these people hold tight to those beliefs.

UPDATE:
The girl responded this morning with links to two Ancient Astronaut Believer websites "proving" the hieroglyphs are in fact, helicopters and planes. And a link to the Ancient Alien video proving that the Tolima artifacts are in fact, planes.

Because nothing backs up your argument better than evidence from fellow Ancient Astronaut believers and a clip from the actual Ancient Aliens tv show.

I just reiterated that this has all been debunked...by scientists, by archaeologists, by historians and scholars. And that for every link she posts, I can find a link that debunks it. We are obviously at an impasse...she would rather take the word of authors and amateurs over that of real scientists, and even when presented with evidence that debunks the theories, she just can't let go.

Second Update:
After going back and forth with the both a few more times...she still stuck on the Tolima airplanes and Abydos Helicopter, and he of the belief that thousands of Ph.D. scientists are engaged in a massive coverup of human origins via aliens...I have decided I've wasted enough time and walked away.

I've actually had more fun debating theists rather than conspiracy theorists, theists actually come across less crazy.

‹« In Science I Trust »›
[+] 2 users Like jinun's post
29-07-2013, 12:46 PM
I actually have a soft spot for the series. I was still very religious when I first watched it, and the arguments were very convincing to me at the time. I started to consider the idea that the nature of God was not what I had been taught, and that inspired me to start digging deeper. While my belief in the theory, along with my belief in a god, has since died from lack of evidence, I still fondly remember the series as one of the sparks to my critical thinking.
04-08-2013, 01:56 AM
I accidentally insulted a friend at work because of this. I'm not sure how it came up, but she said something like "Oh, like the Chariot of the Gods guy!". I immediately say "That's such a load of bunk." She went tight lipped and sorta blinked at me. I was shocked because she's such an intelligent woman and normally not taken in by that sort of nonsense.

It still boggles my mind that a comedy article is more accurate than the history channel. http://www.cracked.com/article_18718_6-f...ed_p2.html read number 2 on the list. This one is also good: http://www.cracked.com/article_19205_10-...ience.html

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
[+] 1 user Likes PharaohKatt's post
04-08-2013, 11:53 AM
I've seen better reporting of facts on a fucking beauty pageant then the shit the show on History Channel these days.
I blame 'Merica (not America). You'll are so fucking stupid so the TV shows need to dumb the shit down for you'll.

Maybe if you actually went to a fucking school and hadn't had the bible rammed up you'll asses since the moment you popped out your mothers vagina you might actually have a brain to you know... think!

But no, now it's all about this reality tv show shit and these ancient fucking aliens and big foot. GTFO.
And that goes for Discovery, National Geographic, Animal Planet, CI and the Food channel.
All fucking ruined by retarded fucking people who think the industrial revolution was an actual people overthrowing the government revolution...

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
04-08-2013, 12:00 PM
(04-08-2013 11:53 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I've seen better reporting of facts on a fucking beauty pageant then the shit the show on History Channel these days.
I blame 'Merica (not America). You'll are so fucking stupid so the TV shows need to dumb the shit down for you'll.

Maybe if you actually went to a fucking school and hadn't had the bible rammed up you'll asses since the moment you popped out your mothers vagina you might actually have a brain to you know... think!

But no, now it's all about this reality tv show shit and these ancient fucking aliens and big foot. GTFO.
And that goes for Discovery, National Geographic, Animal Planet, CI and the Food channel.
All fucking ruined by retarded fucking people who think the industrial revolution was an actual people overthrowing the government revolution...

Preach it brother!
http://www.history.com/shows/haunted-history
....seriously? Dodgy
Which is worse; aliens, or ghosts? Tough descision!