Ancient Civilizations

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-11-2014, 03:18 PM
Ancient Civilizations
Need some reading suggestions on the history of ancient civilizations. Egypt, Greece, Rome, the Persian Empire, etc. Thanks in advance!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2014, 04:15 PM
RE: Ancient Civilizations
(03-11-2014 03:18 PM)TN Skeptic Wrote:  Need some reading suggestions on the history of ancient civilizations. Egypt, Greece, Rome, the Persian Empire, etc. Thanks in advance!

I'll tell ya who I like... Tom Holland, that's who. Easily accessible, nice writing style. Not sure how peer-reviewed his stuff is but it's packed with references and feels solid. Books of his that I've read cover Persia, the development of Islam, Rome... there's a couple of others.

Another great guy IMO to read is Jared Diamond, he of "Guns, Germs and Steel" fame. He gets you to think about societies in a quite interesting way. His stuff isn't so much specific history as "why did X happen" - the why more than the what.

For Greece you can't beat J.B. Bury. He's the gold standard. Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/History-Greece-Dea...NRMJ3KBJTJ

Not sure about Persia or Egypt, who the good writers are there...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
03-11-2014, 04:24 PM
You're into the realm of college textbooks.

Rome spanned a period of 1,000 years and that was just in the West. It lasted another 1,000 years in the East.

Still, I've heard good things about this although I haven't read it yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Rome-Histo...0500291241

This:

http://www.amazon.com/Egypt-Canaan-Israe...0691000867

concentrates on Egypt.

I'm out of the loop on any newer works on Greek History.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
03-11-2014, 08:18 PM
I'm sure Flinders Petrie (the man who discovered Egypt) wrote some classic works on Egypt...

They're considered essential reading for historians/archaeologists.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
03-11-2014, 10:07 PM
Thanks so much for all the recommendations! Will definitely be looking into each of them over the next few days!
04-11-2014, 09:17 AM
As someone else said, Tom Holland's books are good, I've read Persian Fire, about the wars between the Persian Empire and the Greek city states and Rubicon which is about the transformation of the Roman Republic to an empire by Julius Caesar.

Also worth checking out are the Punic Wars, the wars between Carthage in north Africa and the emerging Roman Republic. The wars are most famous for Hannibal's crossing of the Alps with elephants and how he defeated the superior Roman armies on several occasions. The Fall of Carthage by Adrian Goldsworthy is a good & accessible read on the subject.

This is quite good to watch too:

Hate the belief, love the believer.
[+] 1 user Likes Elder Cunningham's post
05-11-2014, 05:22 AM
Jullius Ceasar's campaign journals have been translated and published. I've always thought they were very interesting if you are interested in late republican Rome.

If I remember right the most complete journal is from his gallic conquest, which is aptly named "The Conquest of Gaul", which you can probably get on amazon. Though I'd assume since it's a 2000 year old book that it's available online for free. I can't imagine anyone would own the copyright on Ceasar's journals :Y

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
[+] 1 user Likes Cetaceaphile's post
05-11-2014, 08:43 AM
(05-11-2014 05:22 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  I can't imagine anyone would own the copyright on Ceasar's journals :Y

Could own copyright on translation.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
18-01-2015, 08:00 PM
Go to http://www.bookfinder.com and search for...

Roman History
Punic Wars
Building of the Pyramids
and so on, whatever is your desire...

The site connects hundreds of bookstores to one link site. I have bought tons (ok, many many pounds) of history books using the site. My forte is Roman, Greek and Etrusan history before about 50 B.C.E. and have filled a bookcase with used textbooks and references from the site. And most for far less than the published price and some for 1 cent plus shipping.

Alas, in this day and age, well written books that should be considered almost priceless are dumped in the Goodwill bin to make room for the video game disks on the shelf. Good for educated readers, bad for civilization.
[+] 2 users Like morlock's post
19-01-2015, 02:20 AM
Hi, I hope these help, try the `History of Rome, podcast.` is a good place to start on Rome. (Cyril Robinson`s "A history of Rome.", "A history of the Roman Republic." And "A history of Greece." are quite informative.) (The letters of Cicero), (From Cyrus to Alexander: A history of the Persian Empire, by Pierre Briant.), (A history of the Persian Empire, by Albert Ten Eyck Olmstead, Arthur T. Olmstead.), (Ancient Egypt, by David P. Silverman.)

"When you tell me that your Deity made you in his own image, I reply that he must have been very ugly." Victor Hugo
[+] 1 user Likes HappyUkAtheist's post