Ancient Civilizations

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2015, 05:05 AM
RE: Ancient Civilizations
(18-01-2015 08:00 PM)morlock Wrote:  Alas, in this day and age, well written books that should be considered almost priceless are dumped in the Goodwill bin to make room for the video game disks on the shelf.

Ridiculous.

For e-books in the public domain, try Project Gutenberg.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2015, 05:34 AM
(03-11-2014 03:18 PM)TN Skeptic Wrote:  Need some reading suggestions on the history of ancient civilizations. Egypt, Greece, Rome, the Persian Empire, etc. Thanks in advance!

How about some listening suggestions?

Dan Carlin - Hardcore History

http://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcor...ic-series/

He's describes himself as fan of history, not a historian, but from what I can tell, he does his homework and tells the story in a very compelling way.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
19-01-2015, 02:19 PM
(19-01-2015 05:05 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(18-01-2015 08:00 PM)morlock Wrote:  Alas, in this day and age, well written books that should be considered almost priceless are dumped in the Goodwill bin to make room for the video game disks on the shelf.

Ridiculous.

For e-books in the public domain, try Project Gutenberg.

Who needs to shelve either? I have both as files on the computer.

In the depths of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.
Albert Camus
19-01-2015, 02:37 PM
First of all, most great professors in the Classics will probably tell you to read the epics before anything else. Illiad and Odyssey are the obvious choices. It's important to note that though they are works of fiction, they are a gateway into understanding the classical world in everything from political structure down to family life.

After familiarizing yourself with the context of the classical world I would recommend reading documents straight from the classical world. Historians such as Cassius Dio, Suetonius, Herodotus, Appian of Alexandria and even the man himself Julius Caesar (the Bellum Civile is great for getting into his head and trying to understand him) have fantastic accounts of centuries worth of events.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.