Ancient Egyption Religion and Christianity

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
06-09-2010, 02:12 PM (This post was last modified: 06-09-2010 02:22 PM by omega21.)
Ancient Egyption Religion and Christianity
Has anyone ever noticed how many similarities there are between the two? I heard about this and did some research. Horus was one of their gods and he has the same similarites as jesus. Such as performing miracles, born of a virgin, and being crucified. If anyone would like to add on the simarities between the ancient egyption religion and christianity please do. I would like for this thread to provide support to everyone reading it for debating.
To add on there are also similarities to other religions as well. feel free to include those.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2010, 02:23 PM
RE: Ancient Egyption Religion and Christianity
Well they are both death worshiping.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
06-09-2010, 02:32 PM
I've heard that many gods from many religions were born on the same day and month :/

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
06-09-2010, 02:56 PM
I think I am going to go in different direction with this. Watch these three videos.

Video One

Video Two

Video Three
06-09-2010, 03:55 PM
A lot of what appears in the Old Testament is very, very similar to the mythology of previous tribes and cultures in that region, including Moses parting of the Red Sea. In previous cultures it was the Jordan River that was parted, and I think (but am not sure on this one) there is even ancient myths on the parting of either the Tigris or Euphrates rivers. I know the mythology on that event transcends the biblical account, though.

So, while I did not specifically know about Egypt, it does not surprise me that there are commonalities.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
07-09-2010, 09:38 AM
The halos in Christian art are based off the sun disks that appear in Egyptian art... and that's all I've got.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
07-09-2010, 10:20 AM
(06-09-2010 03:55 PM)BnW Wrote:  A lot of what appears in the Old Testament is very, very similar to the mythology of previous tribes and cultures in that region, including Moses parting of the Red Sea. In previous cultures it was the Jordan River that was parted, and I think (but am not sure on this one) there is even ancient myths on the parting of either the Tigris or Euphrates rivers. I know the mythology on that event transcends the biblical account, though.

So, while I did not specifically know about Egypt, it does not surprise me that there are commonalities.

You are right- in the ancient Persian mythology there is even the story about the flood (with differences, of course...), a story which probably was written wayyyy long before the Old Testament.

Maybe those stories actually did happen, but no one understood them like we do now and every culture explained those events in their own beliefs- and that what gives us the same story, with slight differences, in different cultures which lived in the same area.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-09-2010, 12:29 PM
Yeah there are multiple messiahs throughout history with the same traits as Jesus. Born of a virgin, 12 disciples, miracles, crucifiction, and ressurection. Which brings me to ask why all the similarities? Why these traits?
Also, I agree with the fact that the flood story is common as well as the creation story.
10-09-2010, 03:35 PM

What better way to encourage acceptance of the "new" religion of christianity than to incorporate many of the beliefs and customs of other religions in the region and put into writing stories and fairy-tales that have been told around fires for millenia. I watched an interesting show a while back on geological evidence of a sudden gigantic flood which occured after the last ice age in that region (natural ice damn failed or something like that). I can see how it would look like the world is flooding and a good basis for the Noah's flood story.
Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2010, 03:47 PM
there is nothing in Christianity that is original, whether it's in the NT or OT
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user