Ancient Egyption Religion and Christianity
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
10-09-2010, 04:19 PM
RE: Ancient Egyption Religion and Christianity
Hey, Omega21.

Quote:Yeah there are multiple messiahs throughout history with the same traits as Jesus. Born of a virgin, 12 disciples, miracles, crucifiction, and ressurection. Which brings me to ask why all the similarities? Why these traits?

Some of it has to do with what Joseph Campbell calls the "monomyth". His argument is that there is a universal (or near universal) cross-cultural similarity in how a hero's journey unfolds. One of the 17 points is the virginal birth (an idea massacred in that shit sandwich called The Phantom Menace) and another is death and resurrection or rebirth (which is why Neo got shot in the chest, woke up and then f'ed up Agent Smith).

Also, I believe that in genetics there is the phenomenon of gene flow while in memetics there is a similar phenomenon, that of meme flow. Whenever cultures come into contact with one another, they will share ideas (and not necessarily in the Kumbaya, everyone sitting around the fire kinda way). During the Christianisation of Europe, many pagan ideas were incorporated into Christianity (like putting Christ's resurrection in the spring and other stuff on the solstice: I'm not actually that knowledgeable about that outside of knowing it happened). So it shouldn't be too surprising that the Christian mythos absorbed ideas from other mythologies, particularly in its infancy.

So I think it's a combination of the universality of the monomyth and simple cross-cultural meme flow.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply