Ancient Greek text laying foundations for Calculus -- Erased to make prayer book

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2014, 07:17 AM
RE: Ancient Greek text laying foundations for Calculus -- Erased to make prayer book
(03-01-2014 06:24 AM)maklelan Wrote:  
(03-01-2014 12:54 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Way to further the betterment of mankind, religion. Weeping

I don't think it's particularly enlightened to treat individual historical instantiations of religious belief or practice as metonymic for religion as a whole. Surely you're aware, for instance, that Greek scientific and philosophical research was kept alive and proliferated throughout the time period in question by Muslim philosophers. In fact, many ancient Greek texts would never have been known by the Western world had they not been translated by Europeans from Arabic copies facilitated by Muslims.

On the other hand, there is nothing more to religion than its practices. So, there's that.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2014, 07:45 AM
RE: Ancient Greek text laying foundations for Calculus -- Erased to make prayer book
(03-01-2014 12:54 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  https://www.sciencenews.org/article/prayer-archimedes

Quote:Archimedes wrote his manuscript on a papyrus scroll 2,200 years ago. At an unknown later time, someone copied the text from papyrus to animal-skin parchment. Then, 700 years ago, a monk needed parchment for a new prayer book. He pulled the copy of Archimedes' book off the shelf, cut the pages in half, rotated them 90 degrees, and scraped the surface to remove the ink, creating a palimpsest—fresh writing material made by clearing away older text. Then he wrote his prayers on the nearly-clean pages.

Way to further the betterment of mankind, religion. Weeping

The fuck have you been?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
03-01-2014, 08:19 AM
(03-01-2014 07:17 AM)Chas Wrote:  On the other hand, there is nothing more to religion than its practices. So, there's that.

A demonstrable falsehood and a non-sequitur. I know you feel everyone should be impressed by your attempts at pithy little quips, but please save them for someone else. Not only does your claim have no bearing whatsoever on the concerns I expressed, but it's simply not true. Religion is conceptualization and worldview, not just a collection of rituals and stories. Science is religion for many, many atheists. Try brushing up on your history, psychology, and evolution of religion scholarship and you should outgrow such reductive and naive mischaracterizations. Perhaps you are more comfortable in your naivety, though; it certainly makes deriding and mocking religion much easier, and that seems to be the emotional masturbation that websites like this exist to facilitate.

My Blog
03-01-2014, 08:55 AM
(03-01-2014 06:41 AM)DLJ Wrote:  But, yes, Phaedy. It is indeed symbolic of religion even today. If the fundies could delete the Evolution text books and replace them with prayer books, they would.

Ugh. You'd hope they'd learn from the Dark Ages.

"Lets increase religious intolerance to destabilize the region, help an economic recession along the way with anti-usury laws, and burn all of the books on science because they might be sorcery! Who needs the ability to make concrete, anyway?"
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
03-01-2014, 09:04 AM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2014 09:08 AM by DLJ.)
(03-01-2014 08:19 AM)maklelan Wrote:  ...
Religion is conceptualization and worldview, not just a collection of rituals and stories.

If one takes a narrow view of what is meant by practices (which in my field, I do i.e. the ISO15504 defintion: "The activities that, when consistently performed, contribute to achieving the process purpose"), then yes, religion is more than just practices.

If one takes a more colloquial meaning i.e. practices as patterns and behaviours derived from a framework and principles, then Chas's terseness is forgivable (this time Drinking Beverage ).

(03-01-2014 08:19 AM)maklelan Wrote:  ...
Science is religion for many, many atheists.

Religion

: the belief in a god or in a group of gods

Nah.

: an organized system of beliefs, ceremonies, and rules used to worship a god or a group of gods

Nah.

: an interest, a belief, or an activity that is very important to a person or group

Nah.
Interest and activity, yes... but not belief.

200 internet points awarded to Chas (reluctantly).

Rolleyes

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
03-01-2014, 09:06 AM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2014 09:18 AM by DLJ.)
(03-01-2014 08:55 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  ...
anti-usury laws,

Actually, I'm kinda with the Muslims on this one
(with apologies to my great great great... great grandfather Shylock the Wise).

03-01-2014, 09:28 AM
(03-01-2014 09:04 AM)DLJ Wrote:  If one takes a narrow view of what is meant by practices (which in my field, I do i.e. the ISO15504 defintion: "The activities that, when consistently performed, contribute to achieving the process purpose"), then yes, religion is more than just practices.
*definition

[Image: Y5tGBer.jpg]

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
03-01-2014, 09:34 AM
(03-01-2014 09:28 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(03-01-2014 09:04 AM)DLJ Wrote:  If one takes a narrow view of what is meant by practices (which in my field, I do i.e. the ISO15504 defintion: "The activities that, when consistently performed, contribute to achieving the process purpose"), then yes, religion is more than just practices.
*definition

[Image: Y5tGBer.jpg]

Jew-hater!

Heart

03-01-2014, 09:37 AM
(03-01-2014 09:04 AM)DLJ Wrote:  : an interest, a belief, or an activity that is very important to a person or group

Nah.
Interest and activity, yes... but not belief.

200 internet points awarded to Chas (reluctantly).

Rolleyes

Many schools of philosophy hold that belief is fundamental to knowledge. So fuck Chas. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
03-01-2014, 10:11 AM
(03-01-2014 09:37 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Many schools of philosophy hold that belief is fundamental to knowledge. So fuck Chas. Big Grin

I don't think belief is the right word. "Value" might be better.

In order for science to thrive, one has to 'value' things like evidence, research, experimentation, etc.

I guess you could say "believe" but value is a more appropriate word.

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor