Ancient Greek text laying foundations for Calculus -- Erased to make prayer book

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2014, 10:14 AM
RE: Ancient Greek text laying foundations for Calculus -- Erased to make prayer book
(03-01-2014 09:06 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(03-01-2014 08:55 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  ...
anti-usury laws,

Actually, I'm kinda with the Muslims on this one

What do you mean?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2014, 10:22 AM
RE: Ancient Greek text laying foundations for Calculus -- Erased to make prayer book
(03-01-2014 12:54 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  https://www.sciencenews.org/article/prayer-archimedes

Quote:Archimedes wrote his manuscript on a papyrus scroll 2,200 years ago. At an unknown later time, someone copied the text from papyrus to animal-skin parchment. Then, 700 years ago, a monk needed parchment for a new prayer book. He pulled the copy of Archimedes' book off the shelf, cut the pages in half, rotated them 90 degrees, and scraped the surface to remove the ink, creating a palimpsest—fresh writing material made by clearing away older text. Then he wrote his prayers on the nearly-clean pages.

Way to further the betterment of mankind, religion. Weeping
What, the monk thought prayers would serve God, but math wouldn't? Blasphemer. Dodgy
The monk probably didn't have a clue what that calculus was about, LOL.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
03-01-2014, 10:37 AM
(03-01-2014 10:11 AM)djkamilo Wrote:  
(03-01-2014 09:37 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Many schools of philosophy hold that belief is fundamental to knowledge. So fuck Chas. Big Grin

I don't think belief is the right word. "Value" might be better.

In order for science to thrive, one has to 'value' things like evidence, research, experimentation, etc.

I guess you could say "believe" but value is a more appropriate word.

Dodgy

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/belief/

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-01-2014, 10:42 AM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2014 10:45 AM by maklelan.)
(03-01-2014 09:04 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Religion

: the belief in a god or in a group of gods

Nah.

: an organized system of beliefs, ceremonies, and rules used to worship a god or a group of gods

Nah.

: an interest, a belief, or an activity that is very important to a person or group

Nah.
Interest and activity, yes... but not belief.

Science unquestionably incorporates belief, but notice it's an "or," not an "and." It certainly qualifies according to that definition, but if you think Merriam-Webster is an authoritative voice on what religion is, I've got some beachfront property I think you may be interested in. Bellah, paraphrasing Geertz (both leading scholars of the history and psychology of religion), defines religion as, "a system of symbols that, when enacted by human beings, establishes powerful, pervasive, and long-lasting moods and motivations that make sense in terms of an idea of a general order of existence." It's a cultural system. I pointed elsewhere to these scholars (and others like Boyer, Tremlin, and Guthrie), and I suggest reading them to find out how religion should and should not be defined (although to be precise and careful, complex systems like religion can never be adequately defined, they must just be described [and that's paraphrasing Barr]). Midgley's text, Evolution as a Religion, is particularly interesting in that regard.

My Blog
03-01-2014, 10:46 AM
(03-01-2014 10:37 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(03-01-2014 10:11 AM)djkamilo Wrote:  I don't think belief is the right word. "Value" might be better.

In order for science to thrive, one has to 'value' things like evidence, research, experimentation, etc.

I guess you could say "believe" but value is a more appropriate word.

Dodgy

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/belief/

Sorry, the word "belief" for me still carries the christian connotations of fiducia, notitia and assensus from the reformed tradition.

In the philosophical meaning of the word as described in the link, I have no issue with that.

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
03-01-2014, 10:56 AM
(03-01-2014 10:42 AM)maklelan Wrote:  
(03-01-2014 09:04 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Religion

: the belief in a god or in a group of gods

Nah.

: an organized system of beliefs, ceremonies, and rules used to worship a god or a group of gods

Nah.

: an interest, a belief, or an activity that is very important to a person or group

Nah.
Interest and activity, yes... but not belief.

Science unquestionably incorporates belief, but notice it's an "or," not an "and." It certainly qualifies according to that definition, but if you think Merriam-Webster is an authoritative voice on what religion is, I've got some beachfront property I think you may be interested in. Bellah, paraphrasing Geertz (both leading scholars of the history and psychology of religion), defines religion as, "a system of symbols that, when enacted by human beings, establishes powerful, pervasive, and long-lasting moods and motivations that make sense in terms of an idea of a general order of existence." It's a cultural system. I pointed elsewhere to these scholars (and others like Boyer, Tremlin, and Guthrie), and I suggest reading them to find out how religion should and should not be defined (although to be precise and careful, complex systems like religion can never be adequately defined, they must just be described [and that's paraphrasing Barr]). Midgley's text, Evolution as a Religion, is particularly interesting in that regard.

That seems to me more of a semantics issue. To quote the great theologian Bill Maher "Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position". The same could be said of science. It just doesn't fit the category. Semantically it might especially if you're loose on the definition of religion. With the definition above then political, economical and social systems can all be described as religion.

It's been my experience that those who call science and atheism religions are merely projecting, just like those who say "I don't have enough faith to be an atheist".

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
[+] 2 users Like djkamilo's post
03-01-2014, 11:17 AM
(03-01-2014 07:45 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(03-01-2014 12:54 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  https://www.sciencenews.org/article/prayer-archimedes

Way to further the betterment of mankind, religion. Weeping

The fuck have you been?

Life. Shit happened.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
03-01-2014, 11:21 AM
(03-01-2014 11:17 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  
(03-01-2014 07:45 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  The fuck have you been?

Life. Shit happened.

It's good to see you back, though.

Missed ya.

03-01-2014, 11:26 AM
(03-01-2014 10:14 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(03-01-2014 09:06 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Actually, I'm kinda with the Muslims on this one

What do you mean?

Just a personal thing. I lend money to friends but I'm not down with creating something from nothing, so I don't charge interest.

03-01-2014, 11:29 AM
(03-01-2014 10:56 AM)djkamilo Wrote:  That seems to me more of a semantics issue.

What categories are not semantics issues?

(03-01-2014 10:56 AM)djkamilo Wrote:  To quote the great theologian Bill Maher "Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position".

Cute, but remarkably naive and totally inaccurate. Belief in deity is not a defining feature of religion, as much as laypeople tend to just assume it is. People like Maher know very, very little about religion other than what trickles down to them through their socio-political interactions (which don't even scratch the surface of the global religious community).

(03-01-2014 10:56 AM)djkamilo Wrote:  The same could be said of science. It just doesn't fit the category.

Can you define the category without appealing to the horrible fallacies of dictionary semantics and Aristotelian principles of categorization? I promise you you cannot (you're welcome to try), and so you are hardly in a position to determine what does not fit the category.

(03-01-2014 10:56 AM)djkamilo Wrote:  Semantically it might especially if you're loose on the definition of religion.

What does "loose on the definition of religion" mean? Are you saying defining religion is a subjective endeavor? It's not as binary and empirical as your Maher quote presupposes? What gives?

(03-01-2014 10:56 AM)djkamilo Wrote:  With the definition above then political, economical and social systems can all be described as religion.

Yes. Certainly you acknowledge that politics can be a religion for certain groups of Americans.

(03-01-2014 10:56 AM)djkamilo Wrote:  It's been my experience that those who call science and atheism religions are merely projecting, just like those who say "I don't have enough faith to be an atheist".

So how do you respond to authors like Midgley, Bellah, and Geertz? You've obviously read them or you wouldn't be presuming to speak so authoritatively about the nature of religion and the fallacies of those who study it for a living.

My Blog