Ancient Greek text laying foundations for Calculus -- Erased to make prayer book

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-01-2014, 08:31 AM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2014 08:35 AM by maklelan.)
RE: Ancient Greek text laying foundations for Calculus -- Erased to make prayer book
(03-01-2014 09:39 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  UM, if you are here trying to "evangelize" atheists, I have a HipTip for you:

Why don't you read beyond the title of the post? That'll help you understand that it's about atheists who evangelize to Christians, not the practice of evangelizing to atheists. Next, why would you visit my blog on an entirely separate website and then come back to this website and assume that a generic title to a post I published there is descriptive of my activity here?

My Blog
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2014, 08:34 AM
RE: Ancient Greek text laying foundations for Calculus -- Erased to make prayer book
(03-01-2014 05:56 PM)Chas Wrote:  I have not bitched about you being here. Clearly, you did not understand what I said.

You told me either to leave or to stop criticizing your mocking of religion. I consider that to be bitching about me being here.

My Blog
04-01-2014, 08:39 AM
(03-01-2014 08:47 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Wow, you sure use up a lot of screen real estate to erect that stupid fucking "science is atheism's religion" straw man.Drinking Beverage

Oddly, that wasn't my claim at all, but a rather silly strawman. My claim is and always has been that science and atheism can be, and not uncommonly are, conceptualized in ways that make them religious worldviews. Never once did I say that they are unilaterally, or even primarily, religious in nature. I said for many people, science can be a religion. I also provided an argument and several quite prominent academic investigations of the question that you didn't engage. If you'd like to deal with the arguments, I would be happy to respond. If you're just here to ejaculate that mischaracterization onto the internet and then run away, fine. If you try to actually defend your strawman, you'll find you're emotionally humping the wrong virtual leg.

My Blog
04-01-2014, 08:42 AM
(03-01-2014 08:50 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  "I don't believe your fucking fairy tales" is not a religion.

Nor is it science, or particularly intelligent.

(03-01-2014 08:50 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  That is batshit crazy.

Wow, I guess I can't argue with that.

(03-01-2014 08:50 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Go the fuck away.

How about I slap Dawkins' dick out of your mouth and kick your dumb ass back to middle school where you belong? Grow the hell up, kid.

My Blog
04-01-2014, 08:46 AM
(03-01-2014 08:57 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Um, your so-called "scholars" of the sociology and psychology of religion" are equivocating and strawmanning atheists and science to pursue their own (and your) pet delusions. Their bullshit claim and 5 bucks might get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

Actually they're all atheists, and "equivocating" is not a transitive verb, so you have to break up the clause a bit so you don't confuse readers into interpreting that and "strawmanning" as adjectives, because then they have to modify "science," and that doesn't make any sense at all.

Look, you obviously feel strongly about these things. That's fine. You're also obviously not intellectually equipped to deal with them in an adult way. That's also fine. You appear to think that this emotional masturbation is going to accomplish something vis-à-vis my participation here, and that's where you slip up. Go find someone else to try to rhetorically violate, ok?

My Blog
04-01-2014, 08:48 AM
(03-01-2014 09:01 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  INCORRECT. We use precisely the tools of knowledge, science, logic, reason, objectivity and insight, plus a rigorous insistence on intellectual honesty and use of real evidence, to destroy your moronic claims.

Maybe others here do, but you clearly don't

(03-01-2014 09:01 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Objectivity, insight, and respect are mental constructs and so not have eyes, scornful or otherwise.

It's a metaphorical conceptualization. Surely you know what a metaphor is and are aware that all humans think mostly in metaphors.

My Blog
04-01-2014, 10:05 AM
(04-01-2014 08:26 AM)maklelan Wrote:  
(03-01-2014 05:51 PM)Chas Wrote:  You did not quote my response completely.

You're right. What I put in quotes was the rhetorical sense of your answer. You didn't provide an argument, you just said "Nu-uh" and then made an assertion that you didn't at all support. I never claimed to be directly quoting you, and hope you don't really think that quotation marks unilaterally assert, and bind me to the notion of, verbatim quotation.

(03-01-2014 05:51 PM)Chas Wrote:  You are an intellectually dishonest dickhead.

I see.

My response was those words and the quote that supported them.
By not responding to the quote and simply asserting that I said nothing more than "nu-uh" is dishonest. You really are a dickhead for doing that.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-01-2014, 10:07 AM
(04-01-2014 08:34 AM)maklelan Wrote:  
(03-01-2014 05:56 PM)Chas Wrote:  I have not bitched about you being here. Clearly, you did not understand what I said.

You told me either to leave or to stop criticizing your mocking of religion. I consider that to be bitching about me being here.

Again you mischaracterize what I said.

I suggested you shrug it off, grow some balls, or find a new forum.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-01-2014, 11:49 AM
(04-01-2014 10:05 AM)Chas Wrote:  My response was those words and the quote that supported them.
By not responding to the quote and simply asserting that I said nothing more than "nu-uh" is dishonest. You really are a dickhead for doing that.

I don't recall seeing that quote in the original post, but if it was there, I apologize for missing it. I'm happy to respond. Here's the quote:

Quote:The relationship between religion and science has been a subject of study since Classical antiquity, addressed by philosophers, theologians, scientists, and others. Perspectives from different geographical regions, cultures and historical epochs are diverse, with some characterizing the relationship as one of conflict, others describing it as one of harmony, and others proposing little interaction. The extent to which science and religion may attempt to understand and describe similar phenomena is sometimes referred to as a part of the demarcation problem.

First, quoting Wikipedia is hardly laudable or authoritative, particularly in such controversial areas like the relationship of science and religion, which tend to be lorded over by dogmatic hobbyists. Nevertheless, the article (and particularly your quote) doesn't so much address ways that science can be conceptualized as a religion, but rather presupposes the distinction of the two categories and just discusses how they interact in their various instantiations. In other words, appealing to this article in support of the thesis that science can never be a religion is begging the question. It presupposes the very premise you are seeking to prove.

Try again.

My Blog
04-01-2014, 11:50 AM
(04-01-2014 10:07 AM)Chas Wrote:  Again you mischaracterize what I said.

I suggested you shrug it off, grow some balls, or find a new forum.

And I suggested you actually engaged my concerns instead of these juvenile rhetorical games.

My Blog