Ancient history book recommendation needed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2014, 02:24 AM
Ancient history book recommendation needed
I am currently reading The Origins of Satan by Elaine Pagels. This has now made me curious about ancient history in that region, particularly Mesopotamian and Babylonian. I have read the OT and clearly there were lots of wars and invasions and I assume eventual integration, so I want to know what we actually know as opposed to what may or may not be true history in the bible. I thought you guys could suggest a good book.

I have had a look on Amazon but I can't really distinguish between which would be a credible book worth the time to read and ones that are merely regurgitating myths, opinions and author agendas. The reviews help somewhat but for every review that says this is a great history book another will say it's not. I want one that is based on history and evidence not on myth.

Any suggestions?

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2014, 03:05 AM
RE: Ancient history book recommendation needed
This is excellent. Highly recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0684869...ttom_links

Warning. The poster, Banjo, is currently on an experimental drug known to affect the human brain. Indeed Banjo went insane on this drug. Treat everything I say with a grain of salt. Especially if offended. Indeed, there are 10 people on this drug worldwide.
Banjo.
03-04-2014, 03:29 AM
I forgot to mention the following. If you want to read an ancient text, I highly recommend Flavius Josephus. I read him in my early twenties and loved it. You can read it free on the net here: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2848

Warning. The poster, Banjo, is currently on an experimental drug known to affect the human brain. Indeed Banjo went insane on this drug. Treat everything I say with a grain of salt. Especially if offended. Indeed, there are 10 people on this drug worldwide.
Banjo.
03-04-2014, 03:30 AM
(03-04-2014 03:29 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I forgot to mention the following. If you want to read an ancient text, I highly recommend Flavius Josephus. I read him in my early twenties and loved it. You can read it free on the net here: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2848

1 note on Josephus, he is not always the most unbiased source so take what he says with a grain of salt. He was employed as a propagandist by the Emperor after all.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
03-04-2014, 03:34 AM
(03-04-2014 02:24 AM)Eva Wrote:  I am currently reading The Origins of Satan by Elaine Pagels. This has now made me curious about ancient history in that region, particularly Mesopotamian and Babylonian. I have read the OT and clearly there were lots of wars and invasions and I assume eventual integration, so I want to know what we actually know as opposed to what may or may not be true history in the bible. I thought you guys could suggest a good book.

I have had a look on Amazon but I can't really distinguish between which would be a credible book worth the time to read and ones that are merely regurgitating myths, opinions and author agendas. The reviews help somewhat but for every review that says this is a great history book another will say it's not. I want one that is based on history and evidence not on myth.

Any suggestions?

Have you read A History of God; From Abraham to the Present: The 4,000-year Quest for God by Karen Armstrong? It was pretty interesting; talks about some of the changes of the concept of god in different religions.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
03-04-2014, 03:38 AM
Oh yes, the below is true. Flavius took the name after all. With ancient authors bias is always apparent. Tacitus hated the Julio Claudians for example.

However, as ancient histories go, Josephus is pretty good. Not my favorite, which is Ammianus Marcellinus.

I love that guy! Smile

(03-04-2014 03:30 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(03-04-2014 03:29 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I forgot to mention the following. If you want to read an ancient text, I highly recommend Flavius Josephus. I read him in my early twenties and loved it. You can read it free on the net here: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2848

1 note on Josephus, he is not always the most unbiased source so take what he says with a grain of salt. He was employed as a propagandist by the Emperor after all.

Banjo.
03-04-2014, 03:43 AM
(03-04-2014 03:30 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

Where's Mark?

This is a perfect opportunity to plug his book.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
03-04-2014, 03:59 AM
Thank you for the suggestions and link, which I've book marked (salt included Wink ). I've also ordered the book suggestion by Banjo and put the Karen Armstrong one on my wish list. Thumbsup

I am looking for more of a factual history book of events and people/groups/tribes of significance and not really about god, although I acknowledge that may be hard to separate these things as god/gods were real to them. I have read a lot on Tudor history and while belief in god and the bible is relevant most of the books I've read have focussed on the people and the events.

Although "The Bible Unearthed: Archaeology's New Vision of Ancient Israel and the Origin of Its Sacred Texts" may well fit the bill despite its title. I'll have to read it and see. Smile

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
[+] 1 user Likes Eva's post
03-04-2014, 04:01 AM
Glad to be of help.

They cut through the myths. I think it may suit you well. I hope so. Smile

Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
03-04-2014, 12:35 PM
(03-04-2014 03:34 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Have you read A History of God; From Abraham to the Present: The 4,000-year Quest for God by Karen Armstrong? It was pretty interesting; talks about some of the changes of the concept of god in different religions.

Eva, I have a PDF of this book. Send me a PM with your email if you are interested.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post