Ancient history book recommendation needed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2014, 01:27 PM
RE: Ancient history book recommendation needed
(03-04-2014 12:35 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(03-04-2014 03:34 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Have you read A History of God; From Abraham to the Present: The 4,000-year Quest for God by Karen Armstrong? It was pretty interesting; talks about some of the changes of the concept of god in different religions.

Eva, I have a PDF of this book. Send me a PM with your email if you are interested.

May I also bum a copy? Big Grin

Religion is the frozen thought of man out of which they build temples.
~Jiddu Krishnamurti
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2014, 01:47 PM
(03-04-2014 03:34 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Have you read A History of God; From Abraham to the Present: The 4,000-year Quest for God by Karen Armstrong? It was pretty interesting; talks about some of the changes of the concept of god in different religions.

Eva, I have a PDF of this book. Send me a PM with your email if you are interested.

Me too please, I always need something interesting to read.

Here's the thing, were any of this true, Christian apologetics would not exist. One does not have to bend in multiple ways to defend electricity or aerodynamics. - Banjo

god's love is unconditional on the condition you do every thing he says. - Betty Bowers
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-04-2014, 01:50 PM
This is a favourite of mine.

... this is my signature!
03-04-2014, 01:59 PM
(03-04-2014 01:50 PM)cjlr Wrote:  This is a favourite of mine.

That's a pricey one Shocking It's my birthday in May so that may well be my birthday treat to myself Smile

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens
03-04-2014, 02:37 PM
(03-04-2014 01:59 PM)Eva Wrote:  
(03-04-2014 01:50 PM)cjlr Wrote:  This is a favourite of mine.

That's a pricey one Shocking It's my birthday in May so that may well be my birthday treat to myself Smile

$50 is pricey now? For an academic work?

What world do you live in...
Blink

03-04-2014, 02:44 PM
(03-04-2014 02:37 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(03-04-2014 01:59 PM)Eva Wrote:  That's a pricey one Shocking It's my birthday in May so that may well be my birthday treat to myself Smile

$50 is pricey now? For an academic work?

Blink

In a world quite similar to mine, I imagine.

My world is of course, the world of a dirt-poor highschool student.

Just wait; in a couple years time (if things go well) I'll become the stereotypic dirt-poor college student!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
03-04-2014, 02:48 PM

Please sir, may I have one?

I have lost my copy.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
03-04-2014, 03:02 PM
(03-04-2014 02:48 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(03-04-2014 12:35 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Eva, I have a PDF of this book. Send me a PM with your email if you are interested.

Please sir, may I have one?

I have lost my copy.

Send me your email in a PM.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-04-2014, 03:10 PM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2014 04:06 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(03-04-2014 03:30 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(03-04-2014 03:29 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I forgot to mention the following. If you want to read an ancient text, I highly recommend Flavius Josephus. I read him in my early twenties and loved it. You can read it free on the net here: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2848

1 note on Josephus, he is not always the most unbiased source so take what he says with a grain of salt. He was employed as a propagandist by the Emperor after all.

He also bought into ALL the "ancient myths" (Exodus, and the patriarchs etc) that we know did not happen the way they are portrayed. Josephus was employed to demonstrate that Vespasian was the messiah.

"How the Bible Became a Book. the Texualization of Ancient Israel", Dr William Schneidewind, "Who Wrote the Bible" Dr Richard Elliott Friedmann, (plus the YouTube series : The Bible Unearthed" : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t440bxhn1qA )

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist & Levitating Yogi
Sent by Jebus to put the stud back in Bible Study.
03-04-2014, 03:38 PM
(03-04-2014 02:44 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(03-04-2014 02:37 PM)cjlr Wrote:  $50 is pricey now? For an academic work?

Blink

In a world quite similar to mine, I imagine.

My world is of course, the world of a dirt-poor highschool student.

Just wait; in a couple years time (if things go well) I'll become the stereotypic dirt-poor college student!

That's only four or five cheap paperbacks. I don't see how that's all that expensive for a properly academic work...

Just you wait for college. $50 is damn cheap for a textbook, if that's your point of comparison.

[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post