Ancient history book recommendation needed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2014, 05:48 PM
RE: Ancient history book recommendation needed
YOu could start with this web site. The Akkadians stamped their language and culture on the region and Akkadian was still lingua franca (written in cuneiform) 1,000 years later when the Late Bronze Age Civilizations collapsed.

http://history-world.org/akkadians.htm

The terminus of the Akkadian empire (2,000 BC) also coincides with the collapse of Old Kingdom Egypt and the general consensus is that prolonged drought took them both out.

[Image: Atheismreality_zps62a2c96a.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2014, 05:58 PM
(03-04-2014 03:38 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(03-04-2014 02:44 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  In a world quite similar to mine, I imagine.

My world is of course, the world of a dirt-poor highschool student.

Just wait; in a couple years time (if things go well) I'll become the stereotypic dirt-poor college student!

That's only four or five cheap paperbacks. I don't see how that's all that expensive for a properly academic work...

Just you wait for college. $50 is damn cheap for a textbook, if that's your point of comparison.

Damn cheap is still expensive.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
03-04-2014, 06:40 PM
(03-04-2014 05:58 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(03-04-2014 03:38 PM)cjlr Wrote:  That's only four or five cheap paperbacks. I don't see how that's all that expensive for a properly academic work...

Just you wait for college. $50 is damn cheap for a textbook, if that's your point of comparison.

Damn cheap is still expensive.

Which is tough shit if that's still the bottom end of the price curve.
Tongue

(but seriously OP is already looking to buy one or more books - I don't think it breaks the bank!)

... this is my signature!
04-04-2014, 02:36 AM
(03-04-2014 12:35 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(03-04-2014 03:34 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Have you read A History of God; From Abraham to the Present: The 4,000-year Quest for God by Karen Armstrong? It was pretty interesting; talks about some of the changes of the concept of god in different religions.

Eva, I have a PDF of this book. Send me a PM with your email if you are interested.

Thank you for the book, much appreciated Thumbsup

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens
04-04-2014, 02:49 AM
(03-04-2014 06:40 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(03-04-2014 05:58 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Damn cheap is still expensive.

Which is tough shit if that's still the bottom end of the price curve.
Tongue

(but seriously OP is already looking to buy one or more books - I don't think it breaks the bank!)

WOW! I go to bed and when I return a hissy fit has broken out over me mentioning a slightly pricey book. I'm in the UK and it's going for a bit more over here, did the currency conversion and it comes to about $75. But I did say I was going to get it in May so I think we can all just forget about it.

Bucky I have 'Who wrote the Bible' on my Kindle. I have started it but only the first chapter so far. That You Tube link looks good. I have some boring stuff to do at work so I can play that in the corner of my monitor today with my headphones on to help prevent me from going stir crazy Big Grin

Thank you everyone for all the recommendations. They have all been added to my wish list and I will gradually work my way through these. Thumbsup

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens
04-04-2014, 03:03 AM
Do you guys who cannot afford books live near a library? Don't forget libraries. Smile

Recently suffered loss of intelligence. Had little to begin with! I should not miss it.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
04-04-2014, 03:11 AM
(04-04-2014 03:03 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Do you guys who cannot afford books live near a library? Don't forget libraries. Smile

I can never manage to get the time to go the the library...

You know, I don't actually remember the last time I was in a library that didn't belong to my school?

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
04-04-2014, 03:17 AM
Since the internet people seem to have forgotten libraries. I use my local library all the time. If they do not have a book they order it in from another library.

This is my Sartre influence. He rarely, if ever bought books.

Recently suffered loss of intelligence. Had little to begin with! I should not miss it.