And I thought I was safe...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2014, 03:00 PM
And I thought I was safe...
Today at school, shortly before my meiosis quiz, I noticed a magazine with an article about whether or not chimps should be considered people. One of the opposing parties within said something along the lines of "animals are not peoples" and so I wisecracked about how the room I was in had no people in it. A nearby student, who happened to be a friend, and who I know to have family problems, thought about the statement before telling me that she didn't believe that humans were animals even though she kinda saw that they were. I even explained exactly why we are animals (Multicellular Eukaryotic Heterotrophs). This led to her saying that she didn't believe in evolution. Eventually, after talking about it with her, she brought up the classic misunderstanding of the term 'theory', and I explained that it was much more than just a guess. I would have discussed it further, but alas, science quizzes must come first. Also, note that she lives on a farm, and told me at another point that her mother once locked herself in her room for Jesus. It's sad. I thought that I was safe from stuff like this, living in the north, and all. Also note that she and I are both in 8th grade.

[Image: ezgif_save_1.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2014, 03:30 PM
RE: And I thought I was safe...
(04-03-2014 03:00 PM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  Today at school, shortly before my meiosis quiz, I noticed a magazine with an article about whether or not chimps should be considered people. One of the opposing parties within said something along the lines of "animals are not peoples" and so I wisecracked about how the room I was in had no people in it. A nearby student, who happened to be a friend, and who I know to have family problems, thought about the statement before telling me that she didn't believe that humans were animals even though she kinda saw that they were. I even explained exactly why we are animals (Multicellular Eukaryotic Heterotrophs). This led to her saying that she didn't believe in evolution. Eventually, after talking about it with her, she brought up the classic misunderstanding of the term 'theory', and I explained that it was much more than just a guess. I would have discussed it further, but alas, science quizzes must come first. Also, note that she lives on a farm, and told me at another point that her mother once locked herself in her room for Jesus. It's sad. I thought that I was safe from stuff like this, living in the north, and all. Also note that she and I are both in 8th grade.
If it can remain friendly, continue these types of discussions with her. Many adults that come here talk about someone from their younger days that got them to think. Many don't accept it while they are a believer and when the discussion takes place but they continue to think on it for years and later come to realize you were right.

Many times an opposing view point is all that is needed to get someone to question their own ideas.

“Happiness is not the absence of problems; it's the ability to deal with them.”
[+] 3 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
04-03-2014, 03:43 PM
(04-03-2014 03:00 PM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  Today at school, shortly before my meiosis quiz, I noticed a magazine with an article about whether or not chimps should be considered people. One of the opposing parties within said something along the lines of "animals are not peoples" and so I wisecracked about how the room I was in had no people in it. A nearby student, who happened to be a friend, and who I know to have family problems, thought about the statement before telling me that she didn't believe that humans were animals even though she kinda saw that they were. I even explained exactly why we are animals (Multicellular Eukaryotic Heterotrophs). This led to her saying that she didn't believe in evolution. Eventually, after talking about it with her, she brought up the classic misunderstanding of the term 'theory', and I explained that it was much more than just a guess. I would have discussed it further, but alas, science quizzes must come first. Also, note that she lives on a farm, and told me at another point that her mother once locked herself in her room for Jesus. It's sad. I thought that I was safe from stuff like this, living in the north, and all.

One can never be safe from the stupidity of people. Never.

(04-03-2014 03:00 PM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  Also note that she and I are both in 8th grade.

Oh you youngster, you.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
04-03-2014, 03:57 PM
How old is 8th grade? Is it allowed that 8th graders know about multicellular eukaryotic heterotrophs? I don't know what a heterotroph or a eukaryote is and I'm sure I'm *waaay* past 8th grade... Can we fine him for making us feel dumb? Weeping

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
04-03-2014, 04:37 PM
(04-03-2014 03:57 PM)morondog Wrote:  How old is 8th grade? Is it allowed that 8th graders know about multicellular eukaryotic heterotrophs? I don't know what a heterotroph or a eukaryote is and I'm sure I'm *waaay* past 8th grade... Can we fine him for making us feel dumb? Weeping

No. Smartass

04-03-2014, 05:38 PM
"Her mother once locked herself in her room for Jesus"

I bet I know what she was really doing...

Big Grin

You can't overlook the lack Jack, of any other highway to ride. It's got no signs or dividing lines, and very few rules to guide - Gerry Garcia
[+] 4 users Like Sam's post
04-03-2014, 06:25 PM
(04-03-2014 05:38 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  "Her mother once locked herself in her room for Jesus"

I bet I know what she was really doing...

Big Grin

[Image: mlfw9270-1356304196906338.gif]

[+] 1 user Likes TSG's post
04-03-2014, 06:58 PM
I go through the same thing, however its more like me either having to explain the stupid or somebody wants me to explain how apes descended from monkeys. I also know what a heterotroph is(organism that eats other things or in other words doesn't make its own food.) Also try this with adults they seem to wonder how the hell a junior in highschool knows so much about science. But im glad to see im not the only teen who knows.Big Grin

[Image: hyena_icon_large_by_griffsnuff-d3juy9l.gif] All request for metazoa info and my larger projects should be sent PM
[+] 2 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post
09-03-2014, 06:06 PM
I didn't know you were a teen. o.o

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Thought I'd seen it all... Sam 19 458 18-03-2014 11:13 AM
Last Post: Sam
  Food for Thought, Thinking of Evolution? birdseye 59 1,790 27-11-2013 08:49 PM
Last Post: Boysurroundedbymoms
  Just a thought... houseofcantor 11 1,037 18-02-2012 11:59 PM
Last Post: houseofcantor
  Thought I would share a video(old) NotSoVacuous 6 581 17-07-2011 10:07 PM
Last Post: otaku_cj