And now for something completely different

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2017, 07:08 AM
And now for something completely different
Not to suggest that I "am an atheist who believes in God" but the speaker is interesting.
Quote:Frank Schaeffer (born August 3, 1952) is an American author, film director, screenwriter, and public speaker. He is the son of the late theologian and author Francis Schaeffer. He became a Hollywood film director and author, writing several internationally acclaimed novels depicting life in a strict evangelical household including Portofino, Zermatt, and Saving Grandma.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-08-2017, 07:14 AM
RE: And now for something completely different
Oxymoron

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post
28-08-2017, 07:28 AM
No such thing as an atheist who believed in God. Orwellian double speak.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Brian37's post
28-08-2017, 07:31 AM
Yeah, I read the title and decided not to watch based on that alone. Perhaps the author means something different, but I read that as "why I'm a circle with corners".
[+] 10 users Like RobbyPants's post
28-08-2017, 07:44 AM (This post was last modified: 28-08-2017 08:09 AM by BikerDude.)
I think he understands the contradiction
It's meant to be ironic.
And also meant to speak to his change of faith.
Going from a family that were arguably the founders of the American Evangelical movement to being a bit of a darling of the left intelligentsia.

[+] 1 user Likes BikerDude's post
28-08-2017, 07:46 AM
(28-08-2017 07:31 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Yeah, I read the title and decided not to watch based on that alone. Perhaps the author means something different, but I read that as "why I'm a circle with corners".

No shit. I have little patience for bad logic. The title of the video might as well be, "Why yes, I do smoke crack."

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
28-08-2017, 08:07 AM
Wow!
I had no idea!
I had to come to the Atheist board to find this.
Although I've been accused often of being Strident and "the same as fundamentalists" I've never actually met this sort of Atheism before.
Go figure.
I guess I don't feel the need to correct everybody's homework all day all the time.
I've been telling people this version of Atheism is bullshit for years.
I stand corrected.

[Image: e9ffda26dbee8b46f9f7bf1672ca3274.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes BikerDude's post
28-08-2017, 08:09 AM
Having watched the video, I'd have to conclude that Schaeffer is an atheist who takes comfort in playing the theist. He enjoys religious ritual as a form of entertainment and, because of his own personal doubts, he embraces ritual as a way of "playing it safe," just in case there really is a god. I find a large degree of intellectual dishonesty, waffling and downright hypocrisy in his views. Consider
[+] 6 users Like Gwaithmir's post
28-08-2017, 08:36 AM
I've been pondering for a while the difference, from a processing perspective, between the cognitive dissonance (events/alerts) and compartmentalism.

He has a good example of the latter when quoting his book relating to a young Earth creationist who uncomprehendingly uses petroleum products.

Quote:embracing paradox made me discover that religion is a neurological disorder for which faith is the only cure.

Yes

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
28-08-2017, 08:40 AM
A guy claiming to be an atheist who believes in God is akin to a xtian who says they are not religious..

It's simply a feeble attempt at elitism.

Too bad nobody buys it.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post