And now for something completely different

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2017, 08:39 PM
RE: And now for something completely different
(31-08-2017 01:25 PM)whateverist Wrote:  I'm sorry I can't hear the video. I'll give it a listen when I can find some earphones.

I am curious to hear what he has in mind. I'm not turned off -actually intrigued- by the ironic approach.

I'm interested in an in depth look at what it is which has made god belief so pervasive for so long. Naturally I'm uninterested in literal gods. But what is it about us which makes that belief such a good fit? I think it goes to the very nature of consciousness as we experience it. We never have access to it all and we are entirely dependent on preconscious filtering. We are nominally in charge of our organisms yet we don't always have access to our depths. It can feel as though some things -insight, inspiration- are gifts, but if so, from where? God is one answer, the totality of our being is another and "I don't know what you're talking about" is still another.

and don't forget the worship - same as in celeb adoration, sports identifications, and oh yes - partisanship.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
04-09-2017, 04:48 PM
RE: And now for something completely different
(31-08-2017 01:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(30-08-2017 07:14 PM)mordant Wrote:  What Shaeffer is actually channeling there is his operant conditioning to always be civil and "make nice" and if you don't have something "nice" to say, don't say it. Always have a genteel conversation, never confront people or make them uncomfortable.* I used to be that way, and have largely fought my way out of it. He ought to, also...
* Never make fellow Christians uncomfortable, that is; you're allowed to make those godless bastards squirm all you want.

I am still that way and find myself resisting fighting my way out of it. I know how to make Christians uncomfortable using only the words from their sacred text. I was trained by Lutherans daily for 10 years. But if the hypocrisy displayed by certain politicians continues, I am going to lose that battle and go full Jesus on the money changing monkeys in the temple.
Yeah, I resisted it for awhile myself. There is in fact, and probably always will be, a part of me that is conflict-averse anyway; that's probably one of the things that made fundamentalism attractive to me in the first place. But I have come to see the value of calling bullshit when appropriate, particularly when it's literally the only right and potentially effective thing to do when you're dealing with the funhouse hall of mirrors that is fundamentalism. I rather like what (I believe) Stephen Fry said on this matter about declaring yourself offended "like it gives you certain rights. You're offended? Well, so what!"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post