And now for the drug war....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2012, 11:03 AM
RE: And now for the drug war....
(22-12-2012 10:56 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(22-12-2012 09:24 AM)FZUMedia Wrote:  Why would the government care about unproductive people- if they are not generating any profit? wouldn't they just want to kill them?
Do I really need to explain why the government doesn't simply kill criminals? You're a big boy, I'm sure you work that out for yourself.

Prisons are a necessary part of society. They enforce the law which is their for citizen protection as well as incarcerating people that would otherwise be a threat to society.

A very unintellectual approach to punishment is to look at it very black and white, as in you stole that car so you go to jail for XX years. This is very much the approach America has. It doesn't solve anything, in fact it often makes it worst. Petty criminals meet gangs and get evolved in them etc.. in prison.
The approach that should be taken is just a shade of grey. You stole that car, rather then saying go to jail for XX years you need to ask "why did you steal that car?". Then you figure out they dropped out of school got into the wrong crowd etc.. so you incarcerate them for their crime, BUT you teach them a trade, you educate them teach them useful practical skills that they can use once they are out. Part of the issue is that people are coming out of jail with nothing and so they just fall back into the same pasterns and wind up right back in the slammer.

I think the greatest problem is attitude, not attitude of the criminals but attitude of society towards those criminals.
There is always a story, a reason for why they did what they did (some people are just fucked up, lost cause but there are A LOT of "saveable" people). People don't get this, they just see them as scum and are happy to just simply lock them up.

The whole system is just so incredibly flawed. The evidence shows that if you can get them while they're young, when they get caught for minor crimes underage, and you rehabilitate them then, then their chances of re-offending drop dramatically.
The focus is just so far far too much on the end result, that being major crimes and punishing them for it. You gotta get them that first time they get done for crimes, nip it in the bud before it's too late.

And if you wanna talk profits, it's in the governments interests to rehabilitate rather then simply incarcerate these people as it decreases crime, decreases re-peat offending, decreases prison population and increases people with trades and people in the work force. Also I'm sure there is some coalition that results in those peoples kids less likely to be criminals too.
Yeah I agree with that, I'd rather see prevention than cure in society, but people, especially children are treated so badly in society, it's no surprise that they are screwed in adult life.

That being said, if I am a victim of a burglary, I don't really give a shit about the criminals 'story' only that he/she pays restitution; I must get my money back and a bonus for the trouble caused.

Which brings me back to drugs, by getting yourself intoxicating, I really don't care about that- do what you want. For me, the only crimes were prison is justified is violent crimes like burglary, rape, etc.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: And now for the drug war.... - Filox - 21-12-2012, 04:13 AM
RE: And now for the drug war.... - Vera - 21-12-2012, 04:26 AM
RE: And now for the drug war.... - Filox - 21-12-2012, 04:45 AM
RE: And now for the drug war.... - Vera - 21-12-2012, 04:50 AM
RE: And now for the drug war.... - Filox - 21-12-2012, 06:39 AM
RE: And now for the drug war.... - Vera - 21-12-2012, 06:48 AM
RE: And now for the drug war.... - Filox - 21-12-2012, 07:00 AM
RE: And now for the drug war.... - Vera - 21-12-2012, 07:05 AM
RE: And now for the drug war.... - I and I - 21-12-2012, 01:19 PM