And the division of church and state narrows, and narrows, and narrows....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-05-2017, 12:01 PM
https://thinkprogress.org/abigail-whelan...ad48397f05

Substitute Xenu with Jesus and people who be all up in arms that this lady is talking in tongues. I mean, she sounds BAT SHIT crazy.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
25-05-2017, 12:55 PM (This post was last modified: 25-05-2017 12:59 PM by Thoreauvian.)
RE: And the division of church and state narrows, and narrows, and narrows....
(25-05-2017 12:01 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  Substitute Xenu with Jesus and people who be all up in arms that this lady is talking in tongues. I mean, she sounds BAT SHIT crazy.

The way I interpret it, that was her way of saying, "Even though we can't agree, Jesus still loves us all" -- a way (in her mind) of bridging the gap.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
25-05-2017, 03:08 PM
(25-05-2017 12:01 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  https://thinkprogress.org/abigail-whelan...ad48397f05

Interesting. In the Australian parliament, the opposition would've exploded in verbal uproar, resulting in the Speaker calling for "order", and then shutting her down.

It's obvious from this sort of example that the church and state are much closer in the US than downunder, and which is exemplified by all the "In God We Trust" bullshit in the US. And while 82.5% of Americans have some form of religious identity—according to Gallup—then Whelan can demand and be allowed to proselytise in the House for as long as she likes. Disgusting.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
25-05-2017, 04:18 PM
Lordy, I must have been angry when I typed my post. lol
Pardon my original typos.

Anywho, my point stands that this woman is an asshole with an agenda. She's using her so-called religion to infiltrate government.

"During a radio interview in April of last year, Whelan characterized society’s growing tolerance for LGBTQ people as “entering into an era where good is called evil and evil is called good.”

"In 2016, Whelan co-authored Minnesota’s version of an anti-trans bathroom bill that would have barred transgender people from using the bathroom matching their gender identity in public areas and their workplaces, according to The Column."

"Last year, Whelan also championed a bill to withhold $14 million from the University of Minnesota unless researchers stopped using fetal tissue from aborted fetuses in medical research."

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
25-05-2017, 06:49 PM
Well duh, tolerance means we also tolerate these people and their crazy prattles about how they are 'persecuted'. I hate it when the religious get this insufferable!

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
26-05-2017, 03:08 AM
What the bloody hell did I just read?

If I'd have known you can dodge tax by talking about Jesus, I'd have converted years ago. Seriously though, how does the speaker not just say "Miss...we're not talking about your religion, we're talking about you skipping on taxes".

Mind boggling.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
I now sell T-Shirts Here! Please Check it out Thumbsup
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-05-2017, 05:16 AM
(25-05-2017 12:01 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  https://thinkprogress.org/abigail-whelan...ad48397f05

Substitute Xenu with Jesus and people who be all up in arms that this lady is talking in tongues. I mean, she sounds BAT SHIT crazy.

As long people keep pushing us to pay more for people that do not hold up their end of the bargain, force us to pay people that sneak through the wall, force charity (over 30%) and allow criminals to feel they are on equal terms with the law; these crazy religious people will get a toe hold.

I honestly do not know who is more crazy. I have to vote with my eyes closed. Tongue
26-05-2017, 05:25 AM
(25-05-2017 03:08 PM)SYZ Wrote:  

Interesting. In the Australian parliament, the opposition would've exploded in verbal uproar, resulting in the Speaker calling for "order", and then shutting her down.

It's obvious from this sort of example that the church and state are much closer in the US than downunder, and which is exemplified by all the "In God We Trust" bullshit in the US. And while 82.5% of Americans have some form of religious identity—according to Gallup—then Whelan can demand and be allowed to proselytise in the House for as long as she likes. Disgusting.
It is actually illegal and violates the US constitution, but is frequently (nudge-wink) overlooked, particularly in conservative state / county legislatures and city councils and school boards.

Part of the problem is that our concept of church / state separation is in many contexts all-or-nothing. In other words you can allow a religious sculpture or placard so long as you allow ALL religions (and anti-religions like atheists) equal access. So you have the frequent spectacle that some local church funds a statue of Jesus in the local courthouse and the Satanists immediately apply to put a statue of Baphomet next to it (in one case i heard, hilariously, they proposed that it be placed within 25 feet or, in the alternative, directly in front of the religious statue, nose-to-nose). Typically the way these play out is the Satanist statue is denied permission, the case winds its way through the courts until the state is forced to allow it, and then rather than be consistent and approve the Satanist request, the original statue is removed.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
26-05-2017, 04:58 PM
(25-05-2017 12:55 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(25-05-2017 12:01 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  Substitute Xenu with Jesus and people who be all up in arms that this lady is talking in tongues. I mean, she sounds BAT SHIT crazy.

The way I interpret it, that was her way of saying, "Even though we can't agree, Jesus still loves us all" -- a way (in her mind) of bridging the gap.

No, that was her way of deflecting from a question she didn't want to answer. She rightly figured that no one would criticize her for witnessing for her faith. I nearly forgot that Minnesota is the state which not only gave us Al Franken, but also, alas, Michelle Bachman.
[+] 1 user Likes Rachel's post
26-05-2017, 07:31 PM
You know, the more I read about stuff like this the more I appreciate New Mexico. I just haven't noticed stupid bullshit like this here. Not that there aren't religious people here. But it isn't obscene like that!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk