And the hits keep on coming from the Catholic church.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2015, 09:01 AM
RE: And the hits keep on coming from the Catholic church.
(16-01-2015 11:35 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  The article was in Playboy, but I'll try to locate it.

Don't bother, the pages are stuck together and you won't be able to read it anyway. Drinking Beverage

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
17-01-2015, 09:17 AM
When I was growing up there was no question that the clergy, and particularly priests, were to be seen as agents of God and were simply not to be questioned or challenged on anything they said or did.

This was passed from generation to generation. It wasn't unusual to have a nun, or a priest stop and reprimand kids on the street. It was not only accepted but also expected. We didn't have to be in church or at the Catholic school for the clergy to be an authority figure that was not to be ignored.

There was even a time when part of the high school was turned into a dormitory for the brothers who taught at the school. So they were ever-present, even during after school activities.

I am curious how many boys I went to school with were molested. The priests and brothers tended to avoid/ignore the girls. Most of the guys I have knowledge of from my school years who moved away left the Catholic Church though many still identify as Christian.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
17-01-2015, 05:37 PM
(17-01-2015 09:00 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-01-2015 12:42 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  [b]The Catholic priesthood is a brotherhood of men who are not allowed to get married. In the past, they were respected members of society, and they were not suspected of being gay. It is possible that the priesthood was an attractive option for young homosexual men unwilling to publically admit their sexual inclination.

Really? For all of my adult life it's been clear that many of them were gay.
Someone just wasn't paying attention. Drinking Beverage

you were more intuitive than most
17-01-2015, 05:48 PM
(16-01-2015 03:36 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Even if you didn't/don't know it's illegal to have sex with children...which I don't believe is the case...how do you not know it's just wrong?

They all knew it was wrong. Behind closed doors I think all priests are encouraged to have an attitude that the public are there to be fooled and used. They probably don't say it to each other directly, but that is the culture in which they operate. Being a priest was mainly about convincing, controlling and getting money from the public, and that often extended as far as to sexually abusing the kids as well.

They had given up their lives for God, and in their minds they should be recompensed in some way.

Evil fucking hypocrites.
17-01-2015, 06:57 PM
I do not miss the Catholic church.
17-01-2015, 07:00 PM
(17-01-2015 06:57 PM)Dahlia Wrote:  I do not miss the Catholic church.

10 % of Americans are ex-Catholics. It's a *thing*. Confused

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
17-01-2015, 07:13 PM
(17-01-2015 07:00 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(17-01-2015 06:57 PM)Dahlia Wrote:  I do not miss the Catholic church.

10 % of Americans are ex-Catholics. It's a *thing*. Confused

So many of the people I went to school with are still affiliated with The Church. The ones that moved away from that area have mostly gone to another flavor of Christianity. I am probably the only one that went full atheist - or at least the only one to admit it.

I am still having a debate with myself about attending the 40 year reunion this summer. Right now I am learning toward - no.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
17-01-2015, 08:00 PM
(17-01-2015 07:00 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  10 % of Americans are ex-Catholics. It's a *thing*. Confused

Yep, we're a large group!

(17-01-2015 07:13 PM)Anjele Wrote:  So many of the people I went to school with are still affiliated with The Church. The ones that moved away from that area have mostly gone to another flavor of Christianity. I am probably the only one that went full atheist - or at least the only one to admit it.

I am still having a debate with myself about attending the 40 year reunion this summer. Right now I am learning toward - no.

Same - there are only a couple of ex-Catholic atheists in my social circle.

I have a reunion coming up, and I'm not planning on going to it either. Thumbsup
17-01-2015, 10:46 PM
(17-01-2015 09:00 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-01-2015 12:42 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  The Catholic priesthood is a brotherhood of men who are not allowed to get married. In the past, they were respected members of society, and they were not suspected of being gay. It is possible that the priesthood was an attractive option for young homosexual men unwilling to publically admit their sexual inclination.

Really? For all of my adult life it's been clear that many of them were gay.
Someone just wasn't paying attention. Drinking Beverage

Well, when the priests and the altar boys are wearing more lace at a wedding than the bride...

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
18-01-2015, 07:06 PM
I always worry when the religious put homosexuality in the same bracket as child molesters. And I see it all the time.

"Ooh gays wanting rights?! Peadophiles will want rights next!" I'm sure you've heard that a thousand times.

What's dangerous about it is that they are diminishing he horror of child abuse and putting it in the same bracket as two consenting adults having sex. I'm not surpised by this mans statement at all.
[+] 3 users Like TheStraightener's post