And why are *some* theists afraid of death?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2014, 03:59 PM (This post was last modified: 17-04-2014 04:46 PM by Vosur.)
And why are *some* theists afraid of death?
Dying is something that somewhat scares me, because it may be in unpleasant circumstances. Living for a lot longer than I wish to can also scare me if I think of yet other unpleasant circumstances in which I may live. But death? Death is great! It means not only that I don't have to spend an eternity worrying about stuff, but also that other living beings can get to experience the joys of life in the volume I cease occupying and using the matter that stops being part of my structure.

But a good point has been raised on a different thread: why are theists afraid of death?

My guess is that their options are an eternity worshipping a "loving" god thing prone to killing anything that bothers it, or with an ugly demon that will do all sorts of things to them poor bastards, of which tickling will just be the least annoying. You probably have hiccups forever in hell.

Oh, well, whatever.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like living thing's post
15-04-2014, 04:02 PM
RE: And why are theists afraid of death?
They're afraid of a pitch fork up the arse...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
15-04-2014, 05:43 PM
Have you seen Flight from Death: The Quest for Immortality?

http://www.hulu.com/#!watch/173530

I don't think it's the fear of death per se, but of not longer being alive. Not knowing if anthing comes after. I suppose I don't fear death because I don't fear not existing. The human race existed for thousands of years before I was born into it, and I expect it to live on at least as long after I go, if we don't turn the planet into something we can't live on. Laugh out load I don't fear being dead, but I'm a bit nervous about the dieing part.
[+] 1 user Likes Mat0816's post
15-04-2014, 05:50 PM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2014 06:09 PM by GirlyMan.)
(15-04-2014 03:59 PM)living thing Wrote:  You probably have hiccups forever in hell.

And now I gotta go get a shot of vinegar to get rid of these damn hiccups. Hiccups forever would certainly qualify as hell.

I don't think it's any different than general anaesthesia except I don't wake up. I wouldn't notice if I didn't wake up. I only notice if I do.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
15-04-2014, 06:00 PM
I had a long look in the mirror recently. I did not like what I saw.

Yes I am ugly and the sight was horrible.

But aside from that what came home was simply the things I will miss seeing. The future of a particularly bright student for one. I want to hear the music he will create.

My beloved nephew's future...

I am not scared. I nearly died twice last week. It was a big deal and I made light of it. But I am bothered by it. Not scared. Bothered.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
15-04-2014, 06:05 PM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2014 06:39 PM by GirlyMan.)
(15-04-2014 06:00 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I am not scared. I nearly died twice last week. It was a big deal and I made light of it. But I am bothered by it. Not scared. Bothered.

Yes, it don't scare me either but I find it ... disturbingly hard to grasp. Kinda like the {} fucks with me. The implications of Cantor's Diagonalization and Godel's Theorems I can grasp. The implications of the empty set is proving far more difficult. We just fucking introduced it to make the math work out. The fuck that even mean?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
15-04-2014, 06:12 PM
I am a lot more scared of living too long than I am of dying.

The thought of living with severely diminished capacities, both physical and mental, scares me to death. Haha, literally, because I plan to exit when and if this comes to be.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
15-04-2014, 06:29 PM
Church historians (Bucky etc.) might be able to provide references but I ain't one so I can't be bothered but ...

I think I read somewhere that the early church did a really good job of persuading the flock how good the afterlife would be with Jesus and family that there was a big problem with suicides.

Suicide is a problem for the church as it decreases revenue.

So the idea of suicide being a mortal sin was invented.

So theists (at least Caffolics) are afraid of death because the Cafia are very good salesmen... they are in the persuasion business.

Next time I chat to one of my Buddhist buddies, I'll ask "Why don't you just kill yourself?"... in a nice way.

Big Grin

Of course, they might reply... "I did".
Consider

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
15-04-2014, 06:29 PM
I'm not afraid to die... I'm afraid of losing my life.

"To fade away so young, with so much left undone" - Neil Young

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
15-04-2014, 06:34 PM
(15-04-2014 06:29 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  I'm not afraid to die... I'm afraid of losing my life.

"To fade away so young, with so much left undone" - Neil Young

I'm not afraid of death... I'm afraid of dying

Everyday is judgement day. Use your judgement, use reason.
[+] 2 users Like Freethought's post