And why are *some* theists afraid of death?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2014, 06:47 PM
RE: And why are theists afraid of death?
(15-04-2014 06:34 PM)Freethought Wrote:  
(15-04-2014 06:29 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  I'm not afraid to die... I'm afraid of losing my life.

"To fade away so young, with so much left undone" - Neil Young

I'm not afraid of death... I'm afraid of dying

That all depends on how it happens... If its painful, drawn out or undignified, yes that's scary.

But to gently slip away at a ripe old age can't be that bad.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
15-04-2014, 06:51 PM
Consider

It's impossible for a deity that doesn't really exist to relieve a perfectly healthy human of it's instinct to survive?

That's my guess, anyway!

Find all posts by this user
15-04-2014, 06:54 PM
Interesting question...as for Christians, I would think there wouldn't be any fear if you have lived by the rules. However, I can see being a bit jittery if you think you have bought yourself a one-way ticket to eternal damnation.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
15-04-2014, 07:16 PM
Two reasons theists fear death. At least from what I've observed

Either they are afraid of where they are going.

Or they don't really believe they are going anywhere.
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
16-04-2014, 12:57 AM
(15-04-2014 06:47 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  
(15-04-2014 06:34 PM)Freethought Wrote:  I'm not afraid of death... I'm afraid of dying

That all depends on how it happens... If its painful, drawn out or undignified, yes that's scary.

But to gently slip away at a ripe old age can't be that bad.
I don't know if it's true, but I once read about a plane that had had a carbon monoxide leak and everyone on board had probably gone unconscious long before the plane crashed. I guess that'd be shit for anyone expecting me at the destination or for anyone waving me goodbye at the departure airport, but I wouldn't mind it so much for myself. "I think I'll have a little snooze before we land".

Or maybe not waking up from an anesthesia.
16-04-2014, 12:58 AM
(15-04-2014 06:51 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Consider

It's impossible for a deity that doesn't really exist to relieve a perfectly healthy human of it's instinct to survive?

That's my guess, anyway!
It may be. But that might be applicable to non-theists as well, wouldn't it?
16-04-2014, 01:01 AM
(15-04-2014 06:00 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I had a long look in the mirror recently. I did not like what I saw.

Yes I am ugly and the sight was horrible.

But aside from that what came home was simply the things I will miss seeing. The future of a particularly bright student for one. I want to hear the music he will create.

My beloved nephew's future...

I am not scared. I nearly died twice last week. It was a big deal and I made light of it. But I am bothered by it. Not scared. Bothered.
It bothers me too; your thoughts are valuable and they would be missed.

I hope the third one does not come any time soon. Take care!
16-04-2014, 01:10 AM
(15-04-2014 05:43 PM)Mat0816 Wrote:  The human race existed for thousands of years before I was born into it, and I expect it to live on at least as long after I go, if we don't turn the planet into something we can't live on. Laugh out load I don't fear being dead, but I'm a bit nervous about the dieing part.
Hello Mat0816, thanks for the link.

Even if we don't turn the planet into something we can't live on, it will eventually become something "we" (anything alive then) can't live on. I would find it wise if, instead of piling up weapons with which to show how great our countries/gods are, we learned how to get the fuck out here before it's too late.

I don't mind the thought of not being alive, and for the same reasons I don't mind the thought of our species becoming extinct. But having the potential to leave the place and take life with us, it would be a shame that life on this stellar system were eventually just an odd anecdote.
16-04-2014, 01:19 AM
Great answers, everyone, although most of them seem guesses from non-theists. Anyone with a belief in some god thing would like to share their fears with us?

Meanwhile, I'll say that I find comfort in understanding how, once my heart stops pumping blood and my brain stops receiving oxygen and glucose, among other substances, my nerve cells will not be able to produce enough ATP to restore the sodium and potassium concentrations at either side of their membranes, thus preventing new variations of electrochemical potential from being propagated along my nerves. No more intangible information will be processed again by my brain and therefore I will not have a clue about anything that goes on anywhere.

If I'm able to, I'll try to smile in the very last moment, see if I can leave a grin on my dead face. That may be better for those who find me.
[+] 1 user Likes living thing's post
16-04-2014, 01:38 AM
Theists? Well, there's one reason I can think of: Hell. They know they're all sinners, yadda yadda, so they "know" they're going downstairs. The alternative is that they're so egocentric they believe they deserve eternal happiness, in which case they don't fear death.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?