And why are *some* theists afraid of death?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2014, 08:36 AM
RE: And why are theists afraid of death?
(16-04-2014 07:29 AM)living thing Wrote:  
(16-04-2014 06:38 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I'm not.
Good point! Can the thread topic be renamed to "And why are *some* theists afraid of death?"?

May I ask you why are you not afraid of death? Your answer may be helpful to other people who are theists but may be afraid of death.

Thanks for a great reply!

Because 1 of 2 things are most likely going to happen once I die. Since I'm not omniscient, I can't say for certainty on anything; however, because of my theism I believe in point 1.

1) I will go to heaven and have no recollection of my earthly self or the parts that cause pain.
2) I will fade into non-existence and it will be like before I was born. I will have no recollection of anything; moreover, I won't even be aware that I am dead or ever lived as I simply don't exist anymore.

With these two points, death isn't anything to fear because it isn't something fearsome. Fear is only associated with life because in death fear cannot be present.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
16-04-2014, 08:55 AM
(16-04-2014 08:36 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Because 1 of 2 things are most likely going to happen once I die. Since I'm not omniscient, I can't say for certainty on anything; however, because of my theism I believe in point 1.

1) I will go to heaven and have no recollection of my earthly self or the parts that cause pain.
2) I will fade into non-existence and it will be like before I was born. I will have no recollection of anything; moreover, I won't even be aware that I am dead or ever lived as I simply don't exist anymore.

With these two points, death isn't anything to fear because it isn't something fearsome. Fear is only associated with life because in death fear cannot be present.
Any advice for those who may fear an everlasting hell?
16-04-2014, 08:58 AM
(16-04-2014 08:55 AM)living thing Wrote:  Any advice for those who may fear an everlasting hell?

Educate yourself.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
16-04-2014, 09:02 AM
(16-04-2014 08:58 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(16-04-2014 08:55 AM)living thing Wrote:  Any advice for those who may fear an everlasting hell?
Educate yourself.
That is a great piece of advice, morondog. In all kinds of circumstances. Thanks!
16-04-2014, 11:27 AM
Regardless of religion or no religion, we all have the instinct for self preservation and for preservation of the species. The fear of death is all about that, and the stages of life.

Juveniles tend to feel they are immortal and take great risks - necessarily, because they firstly need to confront the unknown(adult) world, and secondly because youth is extremely important for social evolution, each generation does their part to advance society a few steps. To do that you need to break the mold and risk things. This conflicts with the objective parents have - to shape their offspring for survival in the existing society.

But when it comes to the reproduction phase of life, most people are very scared of death - necessarily so because of the instinct to reproduce and care for the offspring. If people in the parental phase of life saw death the way people in their 80s do, it would be disastrous for the survival of the species. The parental phase is all about survival, and death is a huge scary deal.

Then comes the midlife crisis - people start slowly realizing that they are very mortal and that they are heading towards death. Life become finite. The things one wants to do in life become time constricted. Now, too, there is a great fear of death.

From thereon out, one very slowly becomes more acquainted with death, first it's a shock, then the attitude slowly eases.

Seniors are by far the largest group of people who commit suicide. By that time, death has become a friend because living has become a burden.

That is all as it should be, and I wouldn't worry about my attitude towards death, whether young or old, whether scared or not, most likely you are falling within the norm and it will all resolve itself as time goes.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
16-04-2014, 11:42 AM
(16-04-2014 08:55 AM)living thing Wrote:  
(16-04-2014 08:36 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Because 1 of 2 things are most likely going to happen once I die. Since I'm not omniscient, I can't say for certainty on anything; however, because of my theism I believe in point 1.

Any advice for those who may fear an everlasting hell?

Why would you fear hell? By all accounts, it's where things will be better. Look around at everything that's going on today and realize that more than half the world believes in some sort of afterlife (70%+ christians in the US alone). THOSE are the people populating heaven. How is heaven going to be any different from today? I would fear heaven long before I'd fear hell.
[+] 1 user Likes Mat0816's post
16-04-2014, 12:43 PM
(16-04-2014 09:02 AM)living thing Wrote:  
(16-04-2014 08:58 AM)morondog Wrote:  Educate yourself.
That is a great piece of advice, morondog. In all kinds of circumstances. Thanks!

Wasn't havin' a go at you, just so you know Wink I'm a fan of Chas's pithy response style, so I was just practising my chastising. But it really is... if you're scared of something as ephemeral as hell, then education chases the ghosts away. Worked for me. Doesn't work on spiders though.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
16-04-2014, 01:22 PM
(16-04-2014 12:43 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(16-04-2014 09:02 AM)living thing Wrote:  That is a great piece of advice, morondog. In all kinds of circumstances. Thanks!

Wasn't havin' a go at you, just so you know Wink
I assumed the advice was for those who may fear an endless hell; I didn't take it personally. Nevertheless, it would be a good advice even if it had been directed to me! :-)

(16-04-2014 12:43 PM)morondog Wrote:  Doesn't work on spiders though.
Are spiders still scared of ghosts after their education? Big Grin

Thanks for an unnecessary clarification, have a great one!
[+] 1 user Likes living thing's post
16-04-2014, 01:28 PM
(16-04-2014 11:42 AM)Mat0816 Wrote:  I would fear heaven long before I'd fear hell.
If I believed either of them, they would probably scare the shit out of me, each for its own reasons and both for their endlessness. Luckily for me, I find that those notions are most likely threats and promises thrown out by some others so that my behaviour will suit their needs.
[+] 1 user Likes living thing's post
16-04-2014, 09:06 PM
It seems completely backwards, doesn't it? Lots of things do. Just like those Christians who have a ton of kids (though Darwin had a ton of heirs too. ^_^)

I think on some level, they are aware that existence ends with their last breath.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days