And why are *some* theists afraid of death?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2014, 09:19 PM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2014 09:22 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: And why are theists afraid of death?
(16-04-2014 08:36 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  1) I will go to heaven and have no recollection of my earthly self or the parts that cause pain.
2) I will fade into non-existence and it will be like before I was born. I will have no recollection of anything; moreover, I won't even be aware that I am dead or ever lived as I simply don't exist anymore.

With these two points, death isn't anything to fear because it isn't something fearsome. Fear is only associated with life because in death fear cannot be present.

6 of one, half dozen of the other, brother. Tongue

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2014, 11:00 PM
(15-04-2014 06:29 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Next time I chat to one of my Buddhist buddies, I'll ask "Why don't you just kill yourself?"... in a nice way
That would be selfish. The much more altruistic thing the devout can do for each other is kill their friends. What more noble sacrifice could one make than to send as many friends as possible to an existence far superior to the bleak and meager one here on earth while staying "left behind" oneself? The friends thus dispatched would not face embarrassing questions at St. Peter's gate about getting there unassisted the way a suicide would. Why keep friends detained for a paltry few decades toughing it out alive against the vast scale of an eternity of bliss? No friend delivered to heaven this way would look back 500,000,000 years from now and pine wistfully for a handful of painful years averted.

So suicide's out. It isn't ennobling, it isn't charitable, it doesn't help anyone else. Killing is they way to assure maximum joy for the most devout. And, who knows, perhaps a friend will return the favor in advance!
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
17-04-2014, 06:17 AM
Counter to what I said in the other about death thread. No reason for theist to be any more or less afraid of death than anyone else.

I think people are afraid of death, regardless of religious/non-religious views. It is the last great unknown we all face and we have no idea what is in store for us once we pass the end. If you think nothing, then the though of ending can be frightening. If you think something else, then you have the fear of not knowing what that something else really is going to be.

There are also people who do not fear death and see it as the next step in living, regardless of their religious beliefs.
17-04-2014, 02:22 PM (This post was last modified: 17-04-2014 02:26 PM by GirlyMan.)
oops, double-posting instead of editing.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
17-04-2014, 02:24 PM (This post was last modified: 17-04-2014 02:28 PM by GirlyMan.)
(16-04-2014 04:54 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  It means that when the elevator's in the lobby and you push 1, ya don't go anywhere.

That's good, That sounds about right, BrotherMan. Thumbsup Now give me an intuition for the square root of -1.

(16-04-2014 04:54 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  ...and when one is not afraid of death, doing shit like chasing after a bear with a stick seems like fun, so there's that. Angel

Think I could take a bear by charging it with a pointy stick looking to stick it down its throat. Hell I've seen them run away from me on the Appalachian Trail when I just raise my arms and go "Raaaahhhhhr". Think I could take a pack of wolves by charging at the alpha female with a pointy stick looking to stick it down bitch's throat. Now a pack of trained hounds? Yeah they're gonna kill me unless I can get to the trainer first. Big Grin

17-04-2014, 04:47 PM
RE: And why are *some* theists afraid of death?
(16-04-2014 07:29 AM)living thing Wrote:  Can the thread topic be renamed to "And why are *some* theists afraid of death?"?
Done. Sleepy

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]