Andrews Knob

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-06-2016, 11:31 PM
RE: Andrews Knob
Nicely put, RocketSurgeon! None as blind... (has always struck me as supremely ironic that this phrase probably has its roots in the Bible and has certainly been used by Bible scholars. Then again, much as religious people like to beat their chests about their innumerable failings, the ability to see the irony of their own ways is not something that religion usually fosters)

Your words reminded me of this wonderful essay, which you might have seen already. Parts of it may have been written by me (sans the YEC bit, of course – not really much of a thing in Europe, plus, I was a self-taught religionist. Which is in a way worse – didn’t even have the excuse of having being brainwashed)

This is not the first momentous scientific discovery in my post-Christian life. The discovery of the Higgs Boson in 2012 was similarly ginormous. And each of these times, I’ve been awake to see history being made. I’ve been able to share in the joy of uncovering something hidden about the nature of the universe. For the first time, I’m able to share in the collective excitement of humanity. It’s not that I was forbidden from this as a child. We just didn’t.

I remember being dimly aware of major scientific discoveries (usually when someone from church or on God TV attempted to prove they fulfilled some apocalyptic prophecy), but the important thing was never to look directly at them. Young-Earth creationism is a fragile thing, and the discovery of something like gravitational waves is incompatible with it, even if you have to make quite a few jumps to see exactly why. It’s not that they are completely irreconcilable. It’s just that the people making these discoveries are the ones who claim it all fits into a coherent framework which completely annihilates young-Earthism, while creationists reply “… mumble mumble maybe God made the universe with beams of light already in transit”.

Now, though, I am free. I can look the universe square in the eye, and I don’t have to be afraid I might discover something I didn’t want to know.

Oh, an apparently
[Image: 00df2e862f3a63433eef1247359cdd89.jpg]

And speaking of armours and pants (or lack thereof)… Big Grin

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
18-06-2016, 01:55 AM
[Image: 3b43d6cb02283b2198202689a96c6bd9.jpg]

Dildo is an unincorporated place
on the island of Newfoundland.
Big Grin

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
18-06-2016, 08:37 AM
BYOB

(bring your own batteries)

Tongue
18-06-2016, 01:21 PM
(17-06-2016 07:07 AM)Vera Wrote:  To paraphrase Taras Bulba (not in Russian, as it is often quoted in my family Rolleyes ) “I gave you life, it is up to ME to resurrect you” (incidentally, BOTH this and the original* might very well be what dear ol’ god told his misbegotten offspring when it was wailing about being forsaken or some such shit) To put it shortly (and in a way that people can actually understand (something with which I’m still struggling Rolleyes ) – I know I’m necroposting, I just thought it was funny and Wrong Hands is great in general.

[Image: rock-n-roll-weather-map.jpg?w=771&h=621]

[Image: rock-n-roll-neighbourhood.jpg]

[Image: simplified-city-map1.jpg]

* “I gave you life, it’s up to me to take it away” (“Я тебя породил, я тебя и убью.”)

Goddam you Vera! Goddam you all to hell. That's gonna take weeks to ground. Weeping

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
18-06-2016, 03:37 PM (This post was last modified: 18-06-2016 04:29 PM by Vera.)
[Image: 89.gif] Just don't go to ground for weeks, k?

Well, ahead of you on the hell front, Girly, dear. Hell is, indeed, other people. The ones living in my head Confused

Also, I had a whole other response before I realised you meant all the songs in the maps... see, I'd already forgotten what I had posted. Man, the years have not been kind to me Weeping And to think I was hoping for old and wise...

11-10-2016, 05:30 AM
[Image: funny-world-map-donald-trump-latest-raw.jpeg]

[Image: trump_map_1.jpg?1461603619]

[Image: trump_C.jpg?1461603666]

[Image: qs05ma.png]

And just in case we were starting to miss the good ol’ days (when ‘Murica was great the first time Drinking Beverage )

[Image: 800px-reagan-digitised-poster1.jpg]

And now, for something completely different: How to tell a map from a breadbox.

[Image: map_age_guide_large.png]

[+] 5 users Like Vera's post
11-10-2016, 06:02 AM
Before I visit Cum in Co. Mayo, I'll pop into Muff in Co. Donegal.

[Image: E8fusT2.jpg]

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
24-02-2017, 01:26 PM
And speaking of maps, this is rather... interesting (must be clicked for more details, obviously Rolleyes )

Though I've literally no clue what my country's supposed to be made of Consider I see some bats which probably make up Romania but I'm just a meaningless doodle. If that ain't a metaphor or something, I don't know what is...

[Image: world_map_of_stereotypes_by_wkwiatkowski-d932ifi.png]

Madagascar's way cute though, as is Japan Blush

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
24-02-2017, 02:20 PM
That's interesting. I see Nelson Mandela in South Africa and Bart Simpson here in the US. Canada has a hockey player. It's nice to see the Sidney Opera House in Australia. I've never been a fan of the Mount Rushmore carvings. As a matter of fact I hate that thing. I wish the guy had just left the mountain alone, it would be much more beautiful without faces in the side of it.

Anyway, it's a fun map.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
24-02-2017, 03:37 PM
Chinaman Lagoon, Arkansas
Dago Creek, Arkansas