Angels and stuff

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2016, 07:28 PM
RE: Angels and stuff
(24-04-2016 07:24 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  
(24-04-2016 07:13 PM)julep Wrote:  No god, no angels.

It's easy once you start to understand god as anthropomorphic--that is, an over-the-top person given extra powers, but still a person. All of the little conflicts people have in their families were translated into god legends. So the Christian god has a bunch of ungrateful relatives, just like your grandpa might. And they cause trouble. But all of that is imaginary, so don't worry.

And just so you don't get confused, since Alla is polluting this thread, and probably confusing things, a couple of caveats. Alla claims to be writing from the Mormon perspective. Alla's god is even more limited and nasty than the Christian god. Mormons think that they have a pathway to becoming gods themselves (they are not monotheists); they think what Christians call "god" is just the god of this particular solar system--although their cosmology and theology sometimes claims that it's this universe that the mean Mormons expect that they will get to be gods of their own solar systems. Alla seems to be looking forward to becoming a god and running little holocausts, rape-fests, genocides, and various natural disasters to teach the next generation of gods about "moral agency."

Alla is going to become a god? Riiiiight... and I'm thinking about becoming Batman. That would be a more likely scenario at least.

That's what she claims, that she's on the road to godhood. That's why the holocaust and child cancer and famines and slavery are all okay, because she's got to learn good from evil. It's hard to imagine a god who could come up with a more stupid and venal reality than the one we live in, but if anyone could do it, Alla could.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2016, 07:31 PM
(24-04-2016 07:26 PM)julep Wrote:  
(24-04-2016 07:18 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  Ok. Yeah he's confusing me. More in how most of his answers are the same. But thank you. It does help.

Well, if it helps, you know how crazy-stupid Alla's answers seem to be? Garbles of words that mean jack shit, but repeated over and over, right? Once you step fully outside of Christianity (or other religions), that's what Christians sound like, too. It's just that the garbles of words from Christianity are so familiar to you that they seem more true. Eventually, for example, the idea that once a week, or once a month, you ate bread that was really a body and drank wine or grape juice that was really blood will seem idiotic. Because it was idiotic.

I was really just trying to put thoughts out there I think it went a completely different way with the posting of "but does whatever claim that" -overloaded
That's what this was,, just me starting to question things and see them differently. It is just losing the sense that it used to make when I never questioned it. Just took it as it was given.
24-04-2016, 07:39 PM
(24-04-2016 06:55 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  So.. I was thinking.. Christians say God created us because he was lonely and wanted someone to love him.
They also say the Angels were around with him before us.. That the Angels are like robotic creatures programmed to love him and he gave us the option of free will. But if the Angels are made to love him., how did lucifer end up where he is? And if he is all knowing why didn't he stop lucifer before he got going?? Yo my brain is on it today. Could be the amount of caffeine I needed from staying up till 4:30. If it doesn't make sense.. Eh.. Big Grin

Are you asking the people who wrote the book, or the people who stole and mistranslated the book?

According to Judaism, G-d needs nothing from any of his creations. The creations exist to enjoy their own lives, and not to spend all day worshiping the creator. Where's the fun in that?

According to Judaism, Satan remains under G-d's command to this day. He's a loyal employee carrying out the job that he was assigned to do.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
24-04-2016, 07:58 PM
(24-04-2016 07:39 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(24-04-2016 06:55 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  So.. I was thinking.. Christians say God created us because he was lonely and wanted someone to love him.
They also say the Angels were around with him before us.. That the Angels are like robotic creatures programmed to love him and he gave us the option of free will. But if the Angels are made to love him., how did lucifer end up where he is? And if he is all knowing why didn't he stop lucifer before he got going?? Yo my brain is on it today. Could be the amount of caffeine I needed from staying up till 4:30. If it doesn't make sense.. Eh.. Big Grin

Are you asking the people who wrote the book, or the people who stole and mistranslated the book?

According to Judaism, G-d needs nothing from any of his creations. The creations exist to enjoy their own lives, and not to spend all day worshiping the creator. Where's the fun in that?

According to Judaism, Satan remains under G-d's command to this day. He's a loyal employee carrying out the job that he was assigned to do.

I missed you! I never see you posting things. The part about Saran is what I was thinking when writing that. And it's not fun! These people stress me out.
[+] 1 user Likes Jewelarcher's post
24-04-2016, 08:19 PM
(24-04-2016 07:58 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  
(24-04-2016 07:39 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Are you asking the people who wrote the book, or the people who stole and mistranslated the book?

I missed you! I never see you posting things. The part about Saran is what I was thinking when writing that. And it's not fun! These people stress me out.

Awww! I've been thinking about you, too. Smile

I've been logged in, but I'm studying for finals and I've been preparing for a holiday. Busy, busy, busy!
24-04-2016, 08:21 PM
(24-04-2016 08:19 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(24-04-2016 07:58 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  I missed you! I never see you posting things. The part about Saran is what I was thinking when writing that. And it's not fun! These people stress me out.

Awww! I've been thinking about you, too. Smile

I've been logged in, but I'm studying for finals and I've been preparing for a holiday. Busy, busy, busy!

I feel ya on the finals. Glad to know you're around!
[+] 1 user Likes Jewelarcher's post
24-04-2016, 08:22 PM
Every denomination will have their own interpretation of what angels mean and as a Catholic growing up my mother was obsessed with them. She thought we all had guardian angels watching over us. That's all fine and good until you're not a kid anymore and you value your privacy. Mostly they just hang out in Heaven all day, being all perfect and loving but Lucifer was too special, too human and had free will so I guess God learned his lesson on that one.

You're right that it makes no sense that God being perfect created beings that are more like himself than humans and then one of them turns on him and becomes evil, how is possible? If God is truly all knowing he can see the future and knew what would happen and that Hell would be created and Satan would rule over it, plus he would have a place to send damned souls for eternal punishment. It was a win-win, but if he didn't know than he's pretty weak and seems incapable of just destroying him and thus not worthy of praise.

My mother always says that some day he will destroy the Devil, he's just waiting for the second coming, then our entire planet will be destroyed so not really something to look forward to.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
24-04-2016, 08:49 PM
(24-04-2016 08:19 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I've been logged in, but I'm studying for finals and I've been preparing for a holiday. Busy, busy, busy!

[Image: students.png]

Good luck with the finals!

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 4 users Like Paleophyte's post
24-04-2016, 08:52 PM
Why does an all-powerful Deity need anything? Making angels and mortals for Gods own glorification just reduces God to a bad action movie villain with some poorly-scripted minions.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
24-04-2016, 09:07 PM
(24-04-2016 08:52 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Why does an all-powerful Deity need anything?

Good question.
I have a better question.
Why not?

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED