Anger and acceptance....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2016, 12:58 AM
Anger and acceptance....
Since my deconversion started way back in 2008 thanks to tta podcast and Guy P. Harrison's book-50 reasons people give for believing in God......I wonder.......was I duped or brainwashed and indoctrinated and/or just a victum of bad ideas??? I was catholic before my deconversion. And Im an agnostic atheist....freethinker....secular humanist and a recovering catholic now....and I'm still have an open mind and heart.....and I now believe in logic and reason and science as well as the Socratic method....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-10-2016, 01:02 AM
RE: Anger and acceptance....
If you were indoctrinated then you were victim of the bad ideas of whoever thought to indoctrinate you.

About science - you don't need to believe in it. It's real and it works.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
16-10-2016, 06:55 AM
If you were raised catholic, you were brainwashed.

As per your title - anger and acceptance - losing god is much like losing a loved one - something that took up a large part of your brain has vanished. There is grief. Anger and acceptance are a normal part of that.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
16-10-2016, 07:49 AM (This post was last modified: 16-10-2016 08:09 AM by jennybee.)
You were brainwashed. If you look up the characteristics of cult behavior, Christianity and Catholicism hit almost every single characteristic.

I'm a former Catholic and Christian myself and for me, my initial anger was directed at my parents (as they were the ones who introduced me to religion in the first place) and the church (especially the priests and pastors who studied this crap and should know better that it's not real instead of perpetuating it onto the masses). I was also angry at the biblical writers who wrote this shit, made it up, then went out to recruit more members.

The anger at my parents went away fairly quickly when I realized they were victims of brainwashing as well. The anger at the church and the biblical writers went away when I realized I've got some living *on my own terms* to do and I refuse to give another moment of my time to those people.

In my situation, I was never mad at God because he didnt exist. I can understand why some people who leave religion feel a sense of loss at no longer having God in their lives, however. As Dom says, psychologically, it's still the loss of someone. I was sad/angry at the idea that there wasn't a heaven and that I wouldn't be seeing my loved ones again.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post