Anger because my children are being taught Christianity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2016, 11:37 AM
RE: Anger because my children are being taught Christianity
(22-05-2016 10:16 AM)LadyNymeria Wrote:  Guess it's time to start searching amazon for kid friendly mythology books! Big Grin

Kid friendly dinosaur books too! Yes
Dinosaurs caused some of my earliest doubts about christianity. I still love them. Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like LadyDay's post
22-05-2016, 11:40 AM
The only thing you can do is teach your children to think critically, and to not be afraid to ask tough questions -- even if only to themselves.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
22-05-2016, 11:42 AM
Quote:I remember asking my son when he was 5 or so if he had ever seen Jesus flying like Superboy does.

That's fantastic!
22-05-2016, 11:45 AM
Picture books about the world and how things work, nature and how weather works and so on. You know, the pretty (and expensive) books made for adults with lots of pics. Coffee table books. My parents had those at home and I loved reading/looking at them. They gave me an understanding of reason while still pointing out the beauty of it all. It would be hard for anyone to object to beautiful coffee table books, and some are very educational.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
22-05-2016, 04:30 PM
(22-05-2016 10:03 AM)LadyNymeria Wrote:  Let me preface this by saying that I feel like a completely irrational bitch for this and wish I could make it go away, but I fear I'll just have to learn to live with it and at least need to vent.

Venting's what this is for. I'm having a hard time seeing the irrational part. Not wanting your kids mind-fucked by religion seems the definition of reason and sanity to me.

It sounds like there's little you'll be able do do to stop your ex's actions at their source but document everything in case of legal problems down the road.

It sounds like your youngest isn't liking it much. It's a tragedy that any child has to go through that but his breakdown at least suggests that he's experiencing a fair bit of cognitive dissonance. The horrors of religion don't play well with the gentler, saner reality he'd prefer to live in.

What ages are they?

The best you can do is teach them to think for themselves. The trick is to not make that boring. Start by introducing them to good fiction. Once they know what that looks like it's easy to understand that the bibble is bad fiction. And every kid loves good bedtime stories. I can list a few greats if you want and there will be some others who can reccomend some awesome titles.

If they're the right age, a big book of dinosaurs can be very effective anti-toxin.

Find whatever it is that brings them wonder and get them thinking about it. That thinking is very contagious and fatal to religion.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
22-05-2016, 04:44 PM
(22-05-2016 10:16 AM)LadyNymeria Wrote:  Guess it's time to start searching amazon for kid friendly mythology books! Big Grin

Not too kid friendly. The horrible bits are what tells you the stories are for children and if those don't sit well with them then hellfire and damnation are in for a rough ride.

The Greek myths are a perrenial favorite but don't miss out on the Norse, the Russian myths (Baba Yaga and her walking hut are great fun), a whole slew of native american traditions and thousands that I'm leaving off.

For folktales that they'll already know, grab a copy of the original brothers Grimm. It's amazing what Disney left out!

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
22-05-2016, 04:57 PM
(22-05-2016 04:44 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  

For folktales that they'll already know, grab a copy of the original brothers Grimm. It's amazing what Disney left out!

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
22-05-2016, 06:32 PM
he found God again Had God been lost again?
22-05-2016, 11:57 PM
(22-05-2016 11:45 AM)Dom Wrote:  Picture books about the world and how things work, nature and how weather works and so on. You know, the pretty (and expensive) books made for adults with lots of pics. Coffee table books. My parents had those at home and I loved reading/looking at them. They gave me an understanding of reason while still pointing out the beauty of it all. It would be hard for anyone to object to beautiful coffee table books, and some are very educational.

Along with this -- I would take my son out into nature, of course he'd always have many questions. The ones I knew, I'd answer -- giving him a gateway into the sciences. And the ones I didn't know, we'd look up together when we got home.

The answer never was "Goddidit."
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
23-05-2016, 12:15 AM
They're eventually going to learn that the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fair, and Santa Claus don't really exist either. They're fairy tales, for children.

Just make sure they're equipped well enough to connect the dots so they can place god and Jesus on that list too. They're fairy tales, for adults.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post